IGNORED

What's your favorite arcade game?

Floppy Disk

Oh, man...that's like asking what my favorite Beatles song is...just impossible to answer!

I'm a huge fan of the Pac-Man franchise (well, duh...what's my blog's topic? :) )

Lately I've been getting into Gorf, Joust, Arkanoid, Arkanoid 2, Millipede, and Asteroids Deluxe.

Along with that...I guess Zookeeper, Donkey Kong 3, APB (even though I absolutely suck at it!), Food Fight, and Klax...

Favorite home conversions:

- Atari 7800 -- Food Fight and just about ALL of the arcade-to-7800 homebrews!

- Atari 2600 -- Ladybug, Berzerk, and Jr. Pac-Man. I also love how they handled Crystal Castles.

- Amiga -- Bubble Bobble, 720, Smash TV

- Commodore 64 -- Paperboy

Oh boy - I go through phases where I play a single game for a while and then switch. In recent years, I've gone through pretty long phases playing Black Widow/Robotron, 1942, Dig Dug, Lady Bug, Centipede, and Frogger. If I had to pick just one arcade game out of that short list then it would probably be Dig Dug, but my tastes will change again soon enough.

I think my favorite Atari home conversion is probably the 5200 version of Defender. I also really like the 2600 version of Space Invaders, but I know that one gets some people annoyed by how different it is.

If I just stick to games I played BITD, other conversions I like include

Turbo, Bump n Jump & Donkey Kong for Colecovision

Gyruss & Mario Bros for the C64

1942 & SkyKid for the NES

OP got it right off the bat: Pac-Man and Donkey Kong.

Easily my two most favorite games (okay, Ms. Pac-Man) of all time. Not to say there aren't a handful or dozens of other "favorites" scattered about… but when it comes to home versions on the Atari systems, waaaaaay too many to list. Including the awesome Atarisoft conversions for home computers BITD.

C64, TI-99, A8, Intellivision (Pac-Man) and even the Jaguar with Tempest 2000.

Atari 7800 has an incredible amount of excellent arcade titles to choose from also. Add Bob's (PacManPlus) titles and you've got an unbeatable selection of arcade conversions on real, vintage hardware not to be outdone - period!

Damn!!! This is a toughie. My favorites have to be the Original Mario Bros. From 1983, Pole Position, Phoenix, Moon Patrol, Ms. Pac Man, Centipede, Gorf, Tempest, and Donkey Kong.

Arcade ports....

Atari 2600: Space Invaders, Centipede, Asteroids, and Ms. Pac Man

Atari 5200: Robotron 2084 and Zaxxon

Atari 7800: Xevious, Dig Dug, and Food Fight

Colecovision: Venture, Mouse Trap, Donkey Kong, Gorf, and Mr. Do!

Intellivision: Burger Time

Edited by Retrogamer81081
  • Like 1

I appreciate your opinions. All of the games you said are amazing. I am an 8-bit owner, but I have some knowledge on other Atari renditions of arcade games. I used to own an Atari 2600 VCS system with a good amount of games, but I sold them in a garage sale. :(

I do like some arcade versions of games on the 2600 (especially the 8-bit system, as I adore Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Space Invaders, etc.), but I am lazy to list them.

Keep entertaining yourselves, Atari users and other retro system owners.

• 1 month later...

All time favorite arcade machine is the four player version of Sega's Eliminator. They're scarcer than hen's teeth, but I luckily know two guys that own one.

My favorite arcade conversion for the 2600 was probably Joust. Really solid conversion.

post-6333-0-13150900-1434310657_thumb.jpg

My favorite arcade game of all time is Tempest, closely followed by Tron and Defender.

My favorite port to an Atari console from the classic era is Defender for the 5200. Among homebrews, it would be Tempest for the 5200.

• Like 2

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

- Robotron 2084 is a close second but I get tired of it. Indiana Jones I could play all day (and have)

- Pinball is a tie between Frankenstein and Black Knight 2000, both solid under rated games (well, BK2K has gained a LOT of popularity this last decade I guess)

Favorite arcade conversion....hmmm... I like a lot of the CAVE and SNK stuff because they are SPOT ON conversions for the most part but as far as old school goes I would probably go with one of these

- Atari 2600 Moon Patrol

- Atari 2600 Stargate (defender 2)

- Atari 2600 Crystal Castles (for missing a trackball this is a damn good port)

- Sega Genesis Golden Axe

- Sega Genesis Ghouls n Ghosts

- NES Ghosts n Goblins

- NES Commando (those hidden rooms almost make it BETTER than the arcade)

- Intellivision Superchef BT (the amount of levels is insane!)

Man, there is a ton more but I am drawing a blank...it's really hard to say just one since it depends on what I'm into any given week, lol

• Like 1

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

- Robotron 2084 is a close second but I get tired of it. Indiana Jones I could play all day (and have)

- Pinball is a tie between Frankenstein and Black Knight 2000, both solid under rated games (well, BK2K has gained a LOT of popularity this last decade I guess)

Favorite arcade conversion....hmmm... I like a lot of the CAVE and SNK stuff because they are SPOT ON conversions for the most part but as far as old school goes I would probably go with one of these

- Atari 2600 Moon Patrol

- Atari 2600 Stargate (defender 2)

- Atari 2600 Crystal Castles (for missing a trackball this is a damn good port)

- Sega Genesis Golden Axe

- Sega Genesis Ghouls n Ghosts

- NES Ghosts n Goblins

- NES Commando (those hidden rooms almost make it BETTER than the arcade)

- Intellivision Superchef BT (the amount of levels is insane!)

Man, there is a ton more but I am drawing a blank...it's really hard to say just one since it depends on what I'm into any given week, lol

Totally agree with some of the NES Capcom games. I like Commando way better on the NES better than the arcade. I remember as I played that version first before the arcade and I was throwing grenades all over and questioning myself. "Where are the tunnels to get bonus items and rescue hostages and POW militiants?" That feature is excellent. Ghosts n Goblins definetley! Also Trojan is an excellent port. 1943 is my true favorite for the Capcom ports from the arcade to the NES. The biggest joke is Section Z. Arcade is fun to play. The NES one sucks!! I remember writing on tons of paper to find out the appropriate exits so I won't cram it in my head and guess. I beat the game the last time I played it back in 2002 and will never vow to play it again. And haven't since then. :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to pick....maybe Pac-Man or one of the Pac-Man offshoots, Super Pac-Man or Pac-Man Plus. Mr. Do is awesome so its hard for me to ignore that.

Atari 2600: Ms. Pac-Man and Space Invaders.

Some of the most fun conversions for arcade games that I played are from Atarisoft...mainly the C64 ports: Moon Patrol, Donkey Kong (with pie level) and all the rest.

Hmm. Favorite arcade game is (still) Tempest, with like a dozen honorable mentions.

Favorite arcade conversion to Atari, that's tough because I tended to not like them so much on the 2600 though we did play loads of Missile Command and Space Invaders on it back in the day. On the 5200, I suppose it might be Space Dungeon (loved playing that with my friend as pilot/gunner pair), homebrew would have to be the recent completed Tempest (so cool that the original programmer was in on completing the proto).

My gotos are Pacman, Galaga, and Donkey Kong.

Ever since I got my Raspberry Pi set up I've been enjoying so many games in MAME though. There is such incredible variety and I'm still discovering stuff. Centipede is also amazing, although I've never properly experienced it with a trackball, just joystick.

Originals: Pac-Man, Q*bert, Computer Space, Gotcha, Space Fury, Mappy, Zaxxon, Gorf, Star Wars, Journey, Tron, Discs of Tron (EDOT with Sark's voice), Crazy Climber, Galaga, Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom, Space Harrier, Hang-On, Rolling Thunder, Street Fighter, Dragon Spirit, Victory Road, The Simpsons, X-Men

Atari: Star Wars, Q*bert, Ikari Warriors, Double Dragon, Buck Rogers, Journey (Journey Escape), Pong

1. Asteroids - Love the vector graphics! This was and still is the only game that I can turn over on a single quarter. Played it recently at the Houston Comicpalooza.

2. Battlezone

2. Luner Lander

Favorite rendition is Asteroids for the 7800. Excellent when played with a Starplex controller.

Close second is Astro Blaster for the 7800. Robert DeCrescenzo is simply amazing!

Edited by sramirez2008