IGNORED

How to CONNECT Your GAME CONSOLES to HDTVs (VIDEO)

I have 40 years worth of game consoles connected to two televisions in my Game Room, one is a new HDTV & the other an older tube CRT TV. Here is how I connect them in detail.

Equipment I Use:
Monoprice 103027 4-Port Component Video Switch with IR Learning
Gigaware Universal Gaming Component Cable With Switch 26-1542
Monoprice 6FT 4 in 1 Component Cable for Xbox 360, Wii, PS3 and PS2
Enko Mini Composite RCA CVBS AV to HDMI Converter (Input: AV; Output: HDMI)
VGA S-Video Adapter [RETROBIT] for Dreamcast
Everybody's Game Room is different. Is there a better way? How do you do it?
  • Like 4

Very cool... it's how I had always "dreamed" of having everything hooked up. Unfortunately, I sold 80% of my stuff off several years ago when my wife was pregnant.

EDIT: Don't make that prevent you guys from having kids... not that you were thinking about it or not! Hahah... smart people need to reproduce... not dumbasses. Awkward... haha, sorry. I don't miss selling my stuff... it's cool re-discovering it all with my child.

Edited by 82-T/A
  • Like 1

Thanks for the video, some good tips I wasnt aware of - especially the composite to hdmi upconverter. Here are some additional options other's may be interested in:

- There was an adapter, similar (in function) to the Dreamcast one shown, available for the original Xbox called the Neoya X2GVA+. I have one of these and it works really nicely. Might be tough to find these days though.

- The PSP 2000 will also ouput component using that cable as well. Additonally, there is an HDMI upscaler for the PSP that works well also. I caught it on sale at Amazon for about $40 at one point in the last year but at the moment it is back up close to $90.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSPHD42-Connector-Converter-Up-Scaling/dp/B0038AERAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431125345&sr=8-1&keywords=psp+hdmi

Really enjoyed the other video as well (and of course, jealous of the stuff and space for it all! :-) )

Neoya X2VGA+

post-21248-0-46465700-1431126147_thumb.jpg

The Xbox360 can (could?) also ouput VGA via the A/V connector. I used to do this for a time before I got a proper TV set.

it may or may not work anymore, as I recall that I first was able to use computer resolutions through the component display cable (using the 1366*768 resolution that my TV would display the best; 1360*768 and 1024*768 were also options) until one day, an update removed those choices and forced the console to output 720p and/or 1080i.

Well, I have composite switch box for up to five systems (only three hooked to it at the moment: SNES, Wii, and XBox), XBox 360 hooked up via HDMI, and a Genesis Model 2 and TurboGrafx-16 on daisy chained RF. Nothing too special, but it works. I've got a little room left where I can add more if I get around to hooking them up. All sound from the TV is going through a Panasonic Surround system, though, so everything sounds pretty nice.

I hook my 6, I dunno what to call them, "core retro systems" (Atari 7800, NES, SNES, Genesis, TG 16, and a PS2) to a 32 inch WEGA CRT through an 8 way composite switch and just sit really close! :lol:

Upconverted nicely or not, none of these old systems looks good at like 120 inches on my projector. I do it for fun now and then but I like playing the non HD systems on a traditional TV.

I used to have nearly all my systems hooked up at one point, to a CRT, an LCD, finally back to CRT. Through two s-video switches and one component switch, I had the 7800 (through RF, though now, finally, it's composite-modded), NES, SNES/N64/GCN (all sharing one video cable), Turbografx, Genesis, Saturn, Master System, NGCD, Dreamcast (via VGA on the LCD, s-video on the CRT), Xbox, and PS2 all on one TV. Suffice it to say behind the TV was an inglorious monstrosity. Never again. Now I have all my consoles on shelves, six of which are on shelves in my TV stand (Saturn, Dreamcast, SNES, Genesis, Turbografx, NES). The 7800 is on a shelf next to those ugly brown Atari cart books for aesthetic reasons. The only console that consistently stays plugged into the wall is the Saturn, since keeping it unplugged will kill the battery in it. All cords are in baggies, and everything looks just so much cleaner.

You've got yourself a massive setup there. So many switches. @_@

I've been through two major setups myself.
The original one had something like 6 consoles hooked up on my older 42" Vizio HDTV.
I had two composite switches and chained everything together to have it all plugged in.
My TV even has S-video, so it was a nice setup. I'd link to the switches I bought, but I don't think they're made anymore... (Really nice ones that didn't require power even!)
Did have a few things on component at one time, but the component consoles have left the building. The only things left are all the modern ones with HDMI. I have 3 HDMI ports though, so I was more or less set for a long time.

My current setup... Is pretty complex comparatively.
The following consoles are connected...

• NES
  • SNES
  • N64
  • GameCube
  • Sega Genesis + Sega CD
  • PlayStation 1
  • PlayStation 2
  • PlayStation 3
  • WiiU
  • Xbox One

There's no longer any component or composite items on the TV. Everything goes out via my HDMI spots.
Three HDMI going to PS3, Dish Network, and the HDMI Switch.
I've got an HDMI switch with 4 items on it. (Framemeister, PS4, XB1, and WiiU)
The last three are self-explanatory, but then the Framemeister branches out into SEVEN consoles through it's various inputs.
Framemeister accepts basically any connection you want it to, but mine is currently making use of the RGB spot, component (via D-Terminal), and composite with S-video.
The RGB spot makes use of the SCART/JP-21 cable (keep in mind they are NOT interchangeable). Currently the SNES, N64, PS1, and Sega Genesis make use of that spot. Apparently there isn't a reliable SCART/JP-21 switch though (technically couldn't mix them though so not really an option for me).
I've got my PS2 on component through the D-Terminal. (Some fancy connector not used in the states)

Finally what's left goes through the component with S-Video spot.
Currently the Gamecube, NES, and Super Retro Advance (a Game Boy Advance Player for the SNES) are hooked into there.
Might be wondering why the Gamecube doesn't use component... There's a few games that won't output to 480p (like Mega Man X Collection), and since I own that... I deal with the slightly lesser look.

About to have a Mr. Yurkie mod my NES for RGB though, so hopefully that'll be going on the SCART/JP-21 soon... >BD

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

MJR, not sure if you will see this (I also posted on your video), but I am curious--As far as using a composite-to-HDMI "upscaler", how does the picture look through this box versus the composite going straight into the TV?

I actually don't do this...because I always want to capture gameplay footage through the Elgato in HD for videos.

MJR, not sure if you will see this (I also posted on your video), but I am curious--As far as using a composite-to-HDMI "upscaler", how does the picture look through this box versus the composite going straight into the TV?

Id like to know this as well. I've considered an upscaler, but I honesty dont think direct composite looks that bad, and I worry about conversion artifacts Edited by godslabrat

As far as using a composite-to-HDMI "upscaler", how does the picture look through this box versus the composite going straight into the TV?

I can tell you that composite and svid look anywhere from way better to unbelievably better going through the XRGB as opposed to using TV inputs. :)

What about lag?

If there's any lag with the Framemeister, it's so minimal that you can't possible notice it without some kind of fancy monitoring equipment. (IE like microseconds or something)

I can't tell.

HOWEVER! Lag can be experienced purely with just newer TVs because of how they process the old signals from consoles.

A cheap upscaler can possibly make this much worse too.

If you'd like a bit more information overall, the Youtube channel "My Life in Gaming" has explained quite a few of the ins and outs of the Framemeister. They also have some side-by-side examples of how games look with and without the upscaler.

My Life in Gaming - Framemeister 101

• 3 months later...

I recently bough a XRGB-Mini thanks to my tax return.

What is the best way to get my PS1 and Dreamcast to run through it? I know the PS1 needs a SCART cable but I don't know much about them and hear I can ruin the box if I use the wrong cable so I've been worried to even try it.

I do have a VGA box for the DC but of course the XRGB Mini doesn't support VGA so that system is not connected at the moment.

Any help you guys could provide would greatly be appreciated!

Best regards,

Trem

Edited by tremoloman2006