IGNORED

Donkey Kong - Label Variant or Misprint?

The Historian

Isn't that the special 'Employees only prerelease' variant? I know Atari did that for Space Invaders...

Oh, well played.

Don't red and yellow ink fade faster than blue and black?

The label doesn't look faded, but who knows...

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 1

I'm going with fake label. Looks like poor quality, the label is not as wide as a normal one, and it sort of looks square cut. I would be interested in seeing the main label. The only label similar to that is on a black mold cartridge as shown on my list.

Phil

http://www.videogamevariations.com/AtariCompanies/ColecoGames/donkey_kong_cartridges.htm

Do you guys need the picture of my air raid label variation? Actually it is the ultra rare red version with the missle command rom. Because that wanted a game that didnt suck.

Actually I can post a pic but it would devalue it. The cosmic rays of the interweb would deplete its shell. I cant even talk about it. Dont read this it will make it worthless.

• Like 2

I was going to say it was a misprint until I saw the pics that included the front portion of the label. My initial reaction was that only the black and blue colors had been printed. Most multi-color printing is done one color at a time. Seeing all four colors on the front makes this very curious.

I can see some of the blue outline of the letters in the first post. The cart is also quite yellowed. My guess is that it was stacked with other carts so the end was exposed to sunlight and the red/yellow colors faded as a result.

• Like 2

I can confirm it's faded.

Using a camera better than my phone, we can clearly see some of that some of the red is still present in the O.

attachicon.gifdetail.jpg

The yellowing in the beige case is also an indicator.

At least you don't tried to sell it as an expensive rare cartridge! ;) :thumbsup:

Fading with sunlight is common for end labels when they are usually in cartridge holders that have the end labels showing. This is common for carts at flea markets sitting in the sun for hours at a time. It doesn't take long either. If you ever come up with any variations, feel free to contact me. Check the site on occasion to compare what's known. Thanks.

Phil

BTW, I usually use a magnifying glass and look at all my carts up close with an extremely bright light to examine them for variations.

Edited by Philflound

At least he's not in denial about it, unlike that dude from Germany that's experiencing sad times. :lol:

Close this discussion of dick!

Yeah, the space Invaders was a joke but I didn't get a chance to see the pics of the music machine, was it in a music machine case or just a standard atari shell?

If you ever come up with any variations, feel free to contact me. Check the site on occasion to compare what's known. Thanks.

Phil

BTW, I usually use a magnifying glass and look at all my carts up close with an extremely bright light to examine them for variations.

Will do Phil, and thanks to everyone else for putting up with my poor eyes.