Any Love For Early IBM PC/Compatibles?

84 replies to this topic

#76 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 22,188 posts

Posted Sat May 30, 2015 2:07 PM

DIP_switch.jpeg 218-4.jpg

Should be simple. 99% of the DIP switches I've seen are wired like that. All you'll need are 2 wires for each switch.

#77 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,162 posts

Posted Sat May 30, 2015 2:22 PM

That's what I kind of figured.  The real question is can I wire it up without shorting something.  I assume if I take out the motherboard I'll see some points I can solder to on the back, I'd rather not have to desolder the dip switches themselves as that is a bit beyond my pay grade.

#78 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 22,188 posts

Posted Sat May 30, 2015 2:43 PM

Most likely yes. Count the number of pins, 2 per switch. If it matches then you're good to go. You can always verify open and closed positions with a basic multimeter, which is what I do all the time.

#79 boxpressed ONLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• 3,081 posts

Posted Sat May 30, 2015 2:59 PM

May not be worth the trouble if you can disable cache from the BIOS.

#80 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,162 posts

Posted Sat May 30, 2015 3:47 PM

May not be worth the trouble if you can disable cache from the BIOS.

You think that would make that big of a difference?  A Pentium 200MHz is pretty damn fast for 486 type games.  I was thinking that being able to bring it down to 100Mhz would make it more than compatible.

#81 boxpressed ONLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• 3,081 posts

Posted Sat May 30, 2015 4:19 PM

I think that killing the cache would take performance below 100MHz levels. You can try a DOS program called Topbench that compares your system to ones in its database. For instance, my Dell GX1 has a unique "turbo" key combo (Ctrl-Alt-\) that really slows things down. I'm not sure if it is killing the cache or what, but it makes my 700MHz PIII perform like 386-33, according to Topbench.

#82 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 22,188 posts

Posted Sat May 30, 2015 4:39 PM

Killing the cache causes slowdowns by memory thrashing and slow access.

#83 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 992 posts

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:55 PM

I started setting up my Gateway 2000 from '94, and can't find my Ensoniq sound card. :-( I did replace the hard drive with a Transcend IDE module, which quieted the machine immensely.

#84 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,983 posts

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:02 PM

im 50/50 on old hard drives 

yea they are loud, especially SCSI, but nothing says 90's than your machine sounding like a feaking transformer powering up for the first time 

#85 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

>OLD CS1█

• 6,165 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:44 PM

im 50/50 on old hard drives 

yea they are loud, especially SCSI, but nothing says 90's than your machine sounding like a feaking transformer powering up for the first time 

Or causing an entire desk to wobble while it spins up and create vibrations you can feel through the entire house :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users