IGNORED

Got a Navarone Cartridge Expander - Not sure its working though

Mitkraft

So I got my Navarone Cartridge Expander from eBay yesterday, tried it out and discovered it behaved strangely.

First, the 3 carts I have didn't really lock in place all that well. It seems they don't snap down completely against the expander and they seem to have a significant bit of "wiggle". 1 of the carts is standard TI and the other two are Atarisoft.

Also the XB 2.7 suite cart seems to play havoc on the expander. It seems to take over and if its in the expander then the XB 2.7 menu loads regardless of which cart is selected.

On several attempts the XB 2.7 initial menu would load but when I hit the space bar to see the games sub-menu it would go to a blue screen and hang there.

Are these things normal? Are there known repairs or mods to the expander that I might need to do? If XB 2.7 won't behave with the expander than that kinda makes the expander useless since I'm guessing XB will be my most used cart. My hope was that I could leave it in place and only change carts 2&3 when desired.

Thanks!

So I got my Navarone Cartridge Expander from eBay yesterday, tried it out and discovered it behaved strangely.

First, the 3 carts I have didn't really lock in place all that well. It seems they don't snap down completely against the expander and they seem to have a significant bit of "wiggle". 1 of the carts is standard TI and the other two are Atarisoft.

Also the XB 2.7 suite cart seems to play havoc on the expander. It seems to take over and if its in the expander then the XB 2.7 menu loads regardless of which cart is selected.

On several attempts the XB 2.7 initial menu would load but when I hit the space bar to see the games sub-menu it would go to a blue screen and hang there.

Are these things normal? Are there known repairs or mods to the expander that I might need to do? If XB 2.7 won't behave with the expander than that kinda makes the expander useless since I'm guessing XB will be my most used cart. My hope was that I could leave it in place and only change carts 2&3 when desired.

Thanks!

The XB 2.7 behavior is documented in that thread. You cannot use other carts in the expander when it is present.

...lee

Hi,

if you have the possibility (and skills), I would open the Navarone for a visual control inside.

A very good thing is to clean it inside, all the contacts, slider and what ever.

I had one expander with the same issues, a friend of mine did some cleaning-work on it inside,

smooth and carefully, and now all issues have gone.

I really don´t know wether it is "allowed" to use the XB2.7-cartridge on an expander,

but I just don´t do that in this case. i.e. the MiniMemory-cart is definetely a cartridge

that you should not use with an Slot-Expander.

schmitzi

The XB 2.7 behavior is documented in that thread. You cannot use other carts in the expander when it is present.

...lee

Can you point me to "that" thread? I did a search and found some vague references to something about the expander not working with certain carts but not a thread dedicated to it or specific to the XB 2.7. Thanks!

<< HERE >> :)

Thank you. I need to go do some information absorbing so that I can better grasp some of the terms and concepts like Grom, Ubergrom, Gram..etc. I only loosely grasp them at the moment. I should have previously but I didn't fully understand that the XB cart was/contained an Ubergrom.

Thank you. I need to go do some information absorbing so that I can better grasp some of the terms and concepts like Grom, Ubergrom, Gram..etc. I only loosely grasp them at the moment. I should have previously but I didn't fully understand that the XB cart was/contained an Ubergrom.

Yes it's in an ubergrom, also the RXB and XB 3.0 carts are also ubergrom boards

XB3 is the Winfried Winkler XB that Asgard released. It is not related to XB 2.7. All of the XB variant cartridges we produce now are done on an UberGROM board, as that is the only cartridge-sized GROM emulation available at this time, and you need GROM for Extended BASIC.

The UberGROM board identified a quirk in the Navarone cartridge expander. It doesn't do a fully clean switch between cartridges with the switch, which a lot of cartridges don't notice, but there are some that care. The UberGROM is one of those that care--and thus the switch doesn't switch it out. It is OK to use an UberGROM in a cartridge expander, but only as long as the other slots are empty.

Some folks also noted that the various multicarts act weird when you have three of them in the cartridge expander. That latter issue is due to current drain--three of them suck down a bit more power than an equivalent group of TI cartridges, which introduces instabilities. Two of them are fine--just don't try three. They also work in the two multicarts and one TI cart configuration (filling all three slots with cartridges).

• Like 1

It is the same code, Ralf--but not the same release of the cartridge. It is a re-release, as there are only about a dozen of the original XB3 cartridges in existence (based on my conversations with Chris Bobbitt back when it was originally released and again last night).

• Like 1

When I have ubers back in stock you can order one with xb3 or rxb or the multi xb which has ti, 2.7 and xb3 all in one.. gazoo's been busy

Thanks for the update.

BTW... Did you receive the package today? I just wanted to make sure its in your hands. The payment is in an envelope inside the box along with the RS232.

Thanks again for doing the HDX Mod and the carts. I am really looking forward to some new toys. :-D

Edited by TI-GAMER
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update.

BTW... Did you receive the package today? I just wanted to make sure its in your hands. The payment is in an envelope inside the box along with the RS232.

Thanks again for doing the HDX Mod and the carts. I am really looking forward to some new toys. :-D

yep made it fine!