IGNORED

EduEncode - a library for encoding Atari Educational System tapes!

• 1 year later...

Any update on trying it on real hardware?

-Thom

Hi Thom,

I demonstrated the Atari Educational System at a Retro Computer meetup this weekend. While preparing, I came across this thread and wasn't sure if you ever received confirmation that eduencode output works on real hardware.

So I created an audio recording of your Strongbad Email proof-of-concept and ran it on real hardware.

Here's a video.

- Michael S.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I decided somewhat recently that I should learn a different language or something and thought it'd be hilarious to use the Atari for such things.  Though now that I look it up, they didn't actually make any language learning tapes for the Educational System (could have sworn I'd seen some on tape somewhere!).  But I was wondering now with the FujiNet, can it stream Cassette images / WAV files? 

• 3 months later...

leech: Atari did make language learning packages w/tapes. They just weren't based on the Educational System, as that was a 2nd party product. There were packages for Spanish, French, Italian, and German. I bought them all years back and I'm using them this winter with my wife and 6yo son.

tschak909: I found out about your work years back via 16kRAM's video. I loved your StrongBad example. Are there any other examples created using your library? I'll have to create one at some point. The audio/prg syncing will be slightly cumbersome, I would think, since the text is streamed to screen, so the number of characters must be converted into seconds, along with the pauses, ofc, and each of the other library calls themselves will be streamed from tape, too, thus taking a very small amount of time that needs to be considered for exact syncing. But, you clearly made it work with your StrongBad example.

9 hours ago, pedalpowered said:

leech: Atari did make language learning packages w/tapes. They just weren't based on the Educational System, as that was a 2nd party product. There were packages for Spanish, French, Italian, and German. I bought them all years back and I'm using them this winter with my wife and 6yo son.

tschak909: I found out about your work years back via 16kRAM's video. I loved your StrongBad example. Are there any other examples created using your library? I'll have to create one at some point. The audio/prg syncing will be slightly cumbersome, I would think, since the text is streamed to screen, so the number of characters must be converted into seconds, along with the pauses, ofc, and each of the other library calls themselves will be streamed from tape, too, thus taking a very small amount of time that needs to be considered for exact syncing. But, you clearly made it work with your StrongBad example.

Have you actually looked at the code?

https://github.com/tschak909/eduencode/

You'll find a test program there, and you synchronize by sending nulls in the data stream (see the edu_write_pause() function). 

The effective bit rate is 600 bits per second, and thus, it's pretty easy to synchronize a voiceover.

-Thom

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 1:38 AM, pedalpowered said:

leech: Atari did make language learning packages w/tapes. They just weren't based on the Educational System, as that was a 2nd party product. There were packages

for Spanish, French, Italian, and German. I bought them all years back and I'm using them this winter with my wife and 6yo son.

Whoah, awesome! Are dumps of these available anywhere? If not, any chance you could rip them to WAV, FLAC, or anything else that an emulator like Altirra could work with?

Moochass grassyass!