Interest Check: IMAGIC Foil backed overlays

overlays Imagic reproduction

317 replies to this topic

#1 pboland OFFLINE  

pboland

Stargunner

• 1,524 posts

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 8:19 AM

I've always liked the foil look of Imagic game boxes. So, I thought it might be pretty cool to make foil back imagic overlays. Here's my test pieces:

foil1.jpg  foil2.jpg  foil3.jpg

I attached multiple pictures of the same four overlays because it is somewhat difficult to capture the foil look of the overlays with a still image. These overlays would be a little more expensive than my typical overlay (price to be determined). I'm hoping I can offer them for about $4.00 per overlay (might be lower if I can figure out a quicker way to put them together). I realize price is a big factor here. I typically charge $2.00 per for my regular overlays, but the material cost is higher and its a little more time consuming to put these together. Please keep in mind that I can not print the color "white" therefor, any white color on these overlays would just be foil colored. I did alter some of the overlays to show more foil than black. 

This was a project I started about a year and a half ago, so the images are finished, I'm just trying to determine if it is worth going forward with. 

Please let me know what you guys think.

Edited by pboland, Thu May 14, 2015 8:21 AM.

#2 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• 2,193 posts

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 8:54 AM

14 Imagic games. 2 unreleased.  $4 per overlay or per pair?

28 X $4 ea. = $112

14 X $4 a pair = $56

32 X $4 ea. = $128 with 2 unreleased

16 X $4 a pair = $64 with 2 unreleased

Plus Shipping

Edited by SoulBuster, Thu May 14, 2015 8:56 AM.

#3 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 2,768 posts

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 8:55 AM

Sounds great! Imagic did 14 games, IIRC.

Edited by intvsteve, Thu May 14, 2015 8:55 AM.

#4 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 2,768 posts

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 8:58 AM

Would it make sense to make these for the unreleased games? Have ROMs for these been found? I know there's that cool Wing War box, and the video showing someone testing Wing War on Intellivision, but that's it. Was the other Moonsweeper?

I can see that price being a big barrier for a lot of people, though. :/

#5 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 8,426 posts

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 9:09 AM

Price would be a barrier for me and it's not difficult to find originals for the 14 released titles. I may be interested in sets for at least Wing War (to go with my box), and possibly for other unreleased titles.

I would definitely be interested in a CBS Coleco set as a follow up to the Sears set ;-)

#6 pboland OFFLINE  

pboland

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,524 posts

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 4:44 PM

Well, that pricing would be for buying them individually. If I made them a set (may be in a box or binder) I might be able to do $80.00 (plus shipping) complete (That's 2 overlays per game so 28 overlays total). When I did the Sears Set that was $75.00 (link for those that don't remember). 

As for the CBS Coleco set: Yes I would like to do that, but I have the images for the Imagic overlays right now. The CBS Coleco would take me most likely the rest of the year just to do the overlay images (i.e. long term project).

#7 Crazy Climber OFFLINE  

Crazy Climber

Crazy Climberer

• 12,174 posts
  • Metamuciler

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 4:46 PM

Stuff like this doesn't really interest me BUT if you want people to buy them....BUILD A BOX!

Sell complete boxed sets of them, with a standard size Intellivision box...and the collectors will come....they will come :)

#8 Ignorama OFFLINE  

Ignorama

River Patroller

• 2,520 posts

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 5:32 PM

I am sure Crazy Climber is right with it, but for me it would be to expensive too. Even if it just costs 5$ more than the Sears set I have to consider the fact that the Sears set had twice as much this one. And like Jason I do not really need overlays for my Imagic games.

#9 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 15,505 posts

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 5:55 PM

These look great!

#10 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 2,768 posts

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 7:47 PM

A complete set of foil Imagic overlays for $80 may work. I bet they look pretty cool in person. Stuff like that is difficult to photograph. I think with this crowd, having a box sized like the Sears one would be sweet. Of course, you know what people will ask... that it be foil like the Imagic box. Which itself likely adds cost.

#11 Crazy Climber OFFLINE  

Crazy Climber

Crazy Climberer

• 12,174 posts
  • Metamuciler

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 7:50 PM

... that it be foil like the Imagic box

Oh man, you just pointed out a major flaw in the plan. The box would have to have that same foil look in order to sit next to an Imagic collection properly. I don't own the Wing War box, is it pretty close? Maybe whoever made that could work together with pboland....

#12 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 2,768 posts

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 8:28 PM

Oh man, you just pointed out a major flaw in the plan. The box would have to have that same foil look in order to sit next to an Imagic collection properly. I don't own the Wing War box, is it pretty close? Maybe whoever made that could work together with pboland....

I've seen the Wing War box "in person" but don't have one either. :( But, it's spot on - it's really, really well done. From what I recall, the "failure rate" on those boxes was much higher than for regular boxes, and because of that extra difficulty, the cost was higher, and availability necessarily limited. Lots more work. Perhaps the technology has improved since then.

#13 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 15,505 posts

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 8:48 PM

Cmart has a special message to anyone who does not want a set of these foil overlays.

Yes, he needs professional help.........quite sad really. 

cmart is the foil man.jpg

#14 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 11,409 posts
  • But Atari Rules!

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 8:52 PM

I hate when Rev comes to my house and steals my camera

#15 wolfy62 OFFLINE  

wolfy62

River Patroller

• 2,760 posts

Posted Fri May 15, 2015 12:04 AM

Well, that pricing would be for buying them individually. If I made them a set (may be in a box or binder) I might be able to do $80.00 (plus shipping) complete (That's 2 overlays per game so 28 overlays total). When I did the Sears Set that was $75.00 (link for those that don't remember). 

As for the CBS Coleco set: Yes I would like to do that, but I have the images for the Imagic overlays right now. The CBS Coleco would take me most likely the rest of the year just to do the overlay images (i.e. long term project).

I would buy that for $80.with a box included for sure! I love your Sears overlay set, and this sounds great too! Binders are not for me. Great project. ;-)

#16 AtariBuff OFFLINE  

AtariBuff

Stargunner

• 1,176 posts

Posted Fri May 15, 2015 1:42 AM

I might also buy this set but did make some inquiries in your main overlays thread which unfortunately didn't catch your attention so far.

#17 Steve Jones OFFLINE  

Steve Jones

Dragonstomper

• 521 posts

Posted Fri May 15, 2015 6:14 AM

Yeah i would only buy them in a box

#18 pboland OFFLINE  

pboland

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,524 posts

Posted Fri May 15, 2015 6:17 AM

I might also buy this set but did make some inquiries in your main overlays thread which unfortunately didn't catch your attention so far.

I have a few overlay threads, I'm sorry if I missed something. Can you please post a link or PM if you wish with your inquiries. I'm only a PM away.  :)

#19 Crazy Climber OFFLINE  

Crazy Climber

Crazy Climberer

• 12,174 posts
  • Metamuciler

Posted Fri May 15, 2015 6:37 AM

Don't forget to make it limited edition of course :)

#20 gunoz OFFLINE  

gunoz

Moonsweeper

• 411 posts

Posted Fri May 15, 2015 7:13 AM

I'd be in for a set, the Sears overlay set came out great so I'm sure this one would too.

#21 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• 2,193 posts

Posted Fri May 15, 2015 8:39 AM

I have the Wing War box and other than knowing, you cannot tell it is a reproduction.

#22 Intymike ONLINE  

Intymike

River Patroller

• 2,526 posts

Posted Fri May 15, 2015 11:21 AM

I hate when Rev comes to my house and steals my camera

You canadians should really consider to lock up your doors. ;)

#23 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 9,923 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Mon May 18, 2015 5:08 AM

I'm in.  They look rather cool, and very "Imagic-y".  Anything that enhances my immersion while playing is good, and I tend to put the overlays on the hand-controllers when I play for added "retro" feel. :)

#24 pboland OFFLINE  

pboland

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,524 posts

Posted Mon May 18, 2015 6:12 AM

Small update:

Yes, I agree a box is a good idea. I should be getting some materials soon to run a few tests to make sure I can make the boxes the way I'm hoping. I've already started laying out the box art. I'm petty sure the tests will go well, but I need to make sure. Once I get the test box made, I will post pictures of it in this topic. I do have a small limitation when printing these boxes: I can not print the color "white". I don't think that will be that big of an issue, but I though I should mention it. 

With that stated I do think I came up with a way to make a sliver Imagic style boxes with more consistent results. Meaning a fairly low "failure rate" (If the tests go well). We shall so see. :)

More to come...

#25 Eric7100 OFFLINE  

Eric7100

River Patroller

• 3,168 posts

Posted Mon May 18, 2015 12:04 PM

I can not print the color "white".

That's good, because technically, "white" isn't really a color.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: overlays, Imagic, reproduction

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users