IGNORED

Interest Check: IMAGIC Foil backed overlays

I've always liked the foil look of Imagic game boxes. So, I thought it might be pretty cool to make foil back imagic overlays. Here's my test pieces:

post-9874-0-37169500-1431612445_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-51711900-1431612452_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-08685600-1431612460_thumb.jpg

I attached multiple pictures of the same four overlays because it is somewhat difficult to capture the foil look of the overlays with a still image. These overlays would be a little more expensive than my typical overlay (price to be determined). I'm hoping I can offer them for about $4.00 per overlay (might be lower if I can figure out a quicker way to put them together). I realize price is a big factor here. I typically charge $2.00 per for my regular overlays, but the material cost is higher and its a little more time consuming to put these together. Please keep in mind that I can not print the color "white" therefor, any white color on these overlays would just be foil colored. I did alter some of the overlays to show more foil than black.

This was a project I started about a year and a half ago, so the images are finished, I'm just trying to determine if it is worth going forward with.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Edited by pboland
  • Like 7

14 Imagic games. 2 unreleased. $4 per overlay or per pair?

28 X $4 ea. = $112

14 X $4 a pair = $56

32 X $4 ea. = $128 with 2 unreleased

16 X $4 a pair = $64 with 2 unreleased

Plus Shipping

Edited by SoulBuster

Would it make sense to make these for the unreleased games? Have ROMs for these been found? I know there's that cool Wing War box, and the video showing someone testing Wing War on Intellivision, but that's it. Was the other Moonsweeper?

I can see that price being a big barrier for a lot of people, though. :/

Price would be a barrier for me and it's not difficult to find originals for the 14 released titles. I may be interested in sets for at least Wing War (to go with my box), and possibly for other unreleased titles.

I would definitely be interested in a CBS Coleco set as a follow up to the Sears set ;-)

Well, that pricing would be for buying them individually. If I made them a set (may be in a box or binder) I might be able to do $80.00 (plus shipping) complete (That's 2 overlays per game so 28 overlays total). When I did the Sears Set that was $75.00 (link for those that don't remember).

As for the CBS Coleco set: Yes I would like to do that, but I have the images for the Imagic overlays right now. The CBS Coleco would take me most likely the rest of the year just to do the overlay images (i.e. long term project).

• Like 2

I am sure Crazy Climber is right with it, but for me it would be to expensive too. Even if it just costs 5$ more than the Sears set I have to consider the fact that the Sears set had twice as much this one. And like Jason I do not really need overlays for my Imagic games.

A complete set of foil Imagic overlays for $80 may work. I bet they look pretty cool in person. Stuff like that is difficult to photograph. I think with this crowd, having a box sized like the Sears one would be sweet. Of course, you know what people will ask... that it be foil like the Imagic box. Which itself likely adds cost.

... that it be foil like the Imagic box

Oh man, you just pointed out a major flaw in the plan. The box would have to have that same foil look in order to sit next to an Imagic collection properly. I don't own the Wing War box, is it pretty close? Maybe whoever made that could work together with pboland....

Oh man, you just pointed out a major flaw in the plan. The box would have to have that same foil look in order to sit next to an Imagic collection properly. I don't own the Wing War box, is it pretty close? Maybe whoever made that could work together with pboland....

I've seen the Wing War box "in person" but don't have one either. :( But, it's spot on - it's really, really well done. From what I recall, the "failure rate" on those boxes was much higher than for regular boxes, and because of that extra difficulty, the cost was higher, and availability necessarily limited. Lots more work. Perhaps the technology has improved since then.

Well, that pricing would be for buying them individually. If I made them a set (may be in a box or binder) I might be able to do $80.00 (plus shipping) complete (That's 2 overlays per game so 28 overlays total). When I did the Sears Set that was $75.00 (link for those that don't remember).

As for the CBS Coleco set: Yes I would like to do that, but I have the images for the Imagic overlays right now. The CBS Coleco would take me most likely the rest of the year just to do the overlay images (i.e. long term project).

I would buy that for $80.with a box included for sure! I love your Sears overlay set, and this sounds great too! Binders are not for me. Great project. ;-)

I might also buy this set but did make some inquiries in your main overlays thread which unfortunately didn't catch your attention so far.

I have a few overlay threads, I'm sorry if I missed something. Can you please post a link or PM if you wish with your inquiries. I'm only a PM away. :)

I'm in. They look rather cool, and very "Imagic-y". Anything that enhances my immersion while playing is good, and I tend to put the overlays on the hand-controllers when I play for added "retro" feel. :)

Small update:

Yes, I agree a box is a good idea. I should be getting some materials soon to run a few tests to make sure I can make the boxes the way I'm hoping. I've already started laying out the box art. I'm petty sure the tests will go well, but I need to make sure. Once I get the test box made, I will post pictures of it in this topic. I do have a small limitation when printing these boxes: I can not print the color "white". I don't think that will be that big of an issue, but I though I should mention it.

With that stated I do think I came up with a way to make a sliver Imagic style boxes with more consistent results. Meaning a fairly low "failure rate" (If the tests go well). We shall so see. :)

More to come...

• Like 1