IGNORED

Running an NTSC 2600 in Australia

Zarek

Okay guys, I need some advice.

I plan on ordering an NTSC Atari 2600 online from the US (I don't have a PAL version yet either, but I'm working on it). Either from EBay or the marketplace here. Anyway, I've heard that you can use a PAL power adapter on an NTSC model, but those guys were from the UK. Does anyone know if an Australian adapter would work? I don't think there would be any problem getting an Australian adapter, I've seen third-party ones for sale online or I could get a generic adapter from a supplier. I have a CRT TV downstairs that can take NTSC signals so I don't think that receiving video signals will be an issue. I'd also like to know which iteration of the 2600 to get (Vader, Light Sixer, Junior etc)

TL;DR:

• Will an Australian 2600 power adapter work on an NTSC 2600 from the US?
  • What model 2600 should I aim for?

Thanks in advance,

--Zarek

The TV standard where the power adaptor came from is irrelevant.

With older wall-warts the input AC voltage has to match... 220-250 will work in Aus, UK, Europe.

It's only some modern power bricks that support multiple input voltages, generally they're the compact PWM types that haven't been in general use for all that long.

• Like 1

An Australian 2600 power adaptor will work fine with a US 2600.

I've got a CRT that accepts a NTSC signal but had problems using RF connection with a NTSC 2600 and Jaguar. However it works fine if you connect via AV. So maybe consider getting one with an AV mod or do it yourself.

• Like 1

Have had a nightmare with this. I'm in the UK and imported a US version.

Since the 2600 power supply is not in the console then you can use a local power supply with an imported console (as you can with any console with an external power supply such as 360, Gamecube etc - DON'T try it with something like a Saturn that has an internal power supply!!!)

First problem - my CRT TV only goes down to ch.29 - need 3 or 4 for the US version. Tried a Sony VCR - tuner won't go below 29 either.

So I bought an AV mod and got it installed by a console repair shop that offers custom soldering jobs. On my CRT I still only get a b&w image via composite (it is nice and sharp though). Using a VCR won't work either. Even bought a NTSC/PAL composite converter and it doesn't seem to pick up the 2600 signal (the converter works with my JPN Gamecube but won't with my JPN N64 or my modded 2600 - maybe to do with signal strength?).

I'm guessing I need to find a TV or VCR that can handle an NTSC signal. I have tried the modded console on my Sony LCD and Samsung plasma and the picture is poor and in b&w on those. So maybe the mod was faulty? It is very a clear picture on my CRT but in b&w

btw - any advice on this would be welcome.....

Edited by davyK

Strange. Most modern TVs available in Europe should already support NTSC (via AV) out of the box, in fact even my old Panasonic TX-29 back in the 1990s did, and all my current ones also do. The MEOS DVDM-133B portable TV/DVD combo even displays NTSC in color via RF, yet sadly (supposedly due to a firmware issue) without any sound (which reminded me of my time in the navy when we had a perfect terrestrial TV picture of the world cup games with white noise as sound when our mine sweeper squadron had landed in Falmouth and Southampton - our workaround being turning down the TV sound and turning on the radio additionally).

• 1 month later...

You wouldn't want to/can't(due to outlet pin design) use a North American PSU anyway, their mains voltage is @120v as apposed to our 240v. You would have had to get an Australian/Euro adaptor anyway, or atleast a voltage step down regulator to use the American PSU. As for output voltage from the PSU they both should be 9vDC 500mA so there is no issues on that side of things. Nice choice getting a NTSC though