IGNORED

Need info on this Atari 3-game binder

Lady Jaye

Through a high school friend, I got this vintage Atari 3-game binder. Even though the logo is faded, we can still make out that it's from the Warner era (not really visible on our pic, but it's under the Atari logo). There's also a small Atari logo on the top of the outer binding. We can't see any product number anywhere, and the only image I found online of this particular game binder didn't give out more info. Since there isn't any SKU, could it be a corporate item?

Anyone knows anything about it? We're really curious. As you can see below, it can hold three Atari 2600 games, as well as some manuals, and closes shut with a clasp.

med_gallery_97_1400_2207514.jpgmed_gallery_97_1400_761609.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by Lady Jaye

Interesting...I've never seen that one before!

I notice it's starting to crack on the hinges; I got rid of a couple of vinyl cart binders (those similar that hold 8 carts, if I remember correctly) because in time they would break off completely. I don't keep things for display; they need to be fully functional.

You've apparently got something incredibly rare there; if it's a genuine product from the Warner era, then hang onto it! Your guess that it's an employees-only item is a good one, as none of the Atari collecting, museum, etc. websites that I'm aware of even mention it. Perhaps it was manufactured with the intention of release, but didn't ultimately come out, making it a "prototype binder."

Without seeing the item up close it's impossible to tell, but it is possible it is a fake. I used to do work as a laser engraver and putting the Atari logo on the front of an old binder found at Goodwill would be very easy to do. Is the Atari logo printed on there or does it look like the top part of the leather has been burned off? It wouldn't be very deep, but you should be able to feel the slightest of indentions.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it's real, and I'm not trying to burst any bubbles or make any accusations. Just trying to offer my random bit of expertise.

I forgot to mention, this is most likely a Canadian item, my box has French on it. As a side note, it is made for 6 carts and not 3, I believe they are supposed to sit side by side. Again, I will take some pics of the box later. :)

• Like 1

Is this stupid case really that rare? I expected someone to say "Oh, those, I have a box full of those.". Maybe Canadian items are more rare than U.S. items.

Who owns a Mr.Do's Castle for the 2600, complete in box, from Canada? I have both, if you need to know what the difference is.

I need a Canadian KidVid (SoundOne), if anyone is listening, I already have a sealed BB SoundOne.

• Like 1

Actually, it's the same issue facing Canadian Sega Master System items: toy-maker Irwin was the distributor instead of the actual console maker, hence the hunt for impossible-to-find info on the item and the fact that it's completely unknown from most American collectors.

Thanks so much for the info and the pictures, and I agree that the cart-holding design is dumb!