IGNORED

Question about the English Software company

advfan

Has anyone ever seen older English Software titles like Robin Hood, Airstrike 1 and 2, Batty Builders, Stranded, Citadel, Dan Strikes Back, Diamonds, Hyperblast, Neptune's Daughters, Xenon Raid, etc. on disk?

In all these years I only come across the tape versions, but don't remember seeing any of the above listed ever offered on disk, no matter if on the different Ebays or other websites.

Sure, you can find those titles in the various Smash Hits compilations from the company, but it would be great to have those titles also preserved in their single release form.

I have seen ads on Atarimania where a disk version is listed, but I'm starting to think that maybe just a handful or less of those did get an actual disk release. Anyone here has those or has more information? Thanks for your help.

I know they were often mentioned in print ads as being available on disk, but I don't recall actually seeing them. I did actively look for disk releases for a while a few years back but scored a complete zero. In the UK tape was much more popular than disk given the high price of the drives so perhaps there were few disk copies around to start with?

I could always ask Philip if you really want to know...

sTeVE

That would be great. We are looking especially for disk releases for Farb's Preservation Project and knowing about the availability/existence of those titles can help us save time when searching for new material to preserve. Any help is really appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can likely help out here with my English Software fetish!

I own originals of Airstrike and Airstrike II on disk and know for a fact (I have pictures!) that at least Dan Strikes Back and Duellin' Droid were also available on disk.

It would not surprise me if all of their games were available on disk, as up until around Elektra Glide when they started to use the (UK) standard plastic wallet. The disk versions of early English Software games came in a blue or gold slip cases with diagonal cut-outs on the front to accommodate the cassette inlay, which served as cover and instructions.

Airstrike pre-dates the blue tape inlays, so I am assuming the same of the blue slip case, and is in a standard white disk sleeve with cassette tape inlay slipped in (it's in mint condition!), Airstrike II looks like it has become separated from it's blue sleeve over the years. The pictures I have seen of Dan Strikes Back and Duellin' Droid are both in blue slip cases. My disk version of Chop Suey is in a gold slip case, and I had and sold a gold slip case version of Elektra Glide as I already had the 'proper' disk version.

Good luck hunting any of this down all these years later, as I can attest from first hand experience!

PM me if you want the pictures...

Thanks,
Paul

I can likely help out here with my English Software fetish!

I own originals of Airstrike and Airstrike II on disk and know for a fact (I have pictures!) that at least Dan Strikes Back and Duellin' Droid were also available on disk.

It would not surprise me if all of their games were available on disk, as up until around Elektra Glide when they started to use the (UK) standard plastic wallet. The disk versions of early English Software games came in a blue or gold slip cases with diagonal cut-outs on the front to accommodate the cassette inlay, which served as cover and instructions.

Airstrike pre-dates the blue tape inlays, so I am assuming the same of the blue slip case, and is in a standard white disk sleeve with cassette tape inlay slipped in (it's in mint condition!), Airstrike II looks like it has become separated from it's blue sleeve over the years. The pictures I have seen of Dan Strikes Back and Duellin' Droid are both in blue slip cases. My disk version of Chop Suey is in a gold slip case, and I had and sold a gold slip case version of Elektra Glide as I already had the 'proper' disk version.

Good luck hunting any of this down all these years later, as I can attest from first hand experience!

PM me if you want the pictures...

Thanks,

Paul

You could create a gallery here on the forum - that way the images would be preserved and available to as many people as possible.

I am all but certain I had official copy of 'Robin Hood' once. I guess it could have been a repro/bootleg - it certainly came from a member of a cracking group - but as I recall the box was really plush, with a manual and the whole works. If I find it and the mould has not had its way then I will upload a scan.

A disk version of one of the compilation tapes is also advertised on the back of the tape case - 'volume I' I think.

Hi,

many thanks for the information confirming that both Airstrikes were released on disk. I knew of the later titles like Chop Suey, Hijack, Mediator or Elektra Glide being released on disk, but for the earlier ones, even Atarimania doesn't have scans of the disk boxes, just an old ad. Google Images is of no help either.

As the UK market was mostly cassette based, I thought that maybe ES planned to release them on disk, but later decided not to do it because of monetary issues.

I also second the idea of the above member of posting pictures if possible. That way I xould have an idea of what to look for when searching Ebay for items to preserve.

I love the video above...it's surreal. How many other people had their mum playing a trumpet behind

them while they were coding? Absolutely bizarre. You can't make this stuff up! Video introduced by that great TV Presenter and convicted sex offender Stuart Hall. Mental!

If my mum had helped me with my programming the world would now be a wasteland ruled by kick-ass AI driven self-replicating battle robots. So, be thankful that my mum never learnt to play the trumpet. I think we dodged a bullet there, people.

• Like 1