IGNORED

Colecovision Bagman Review!

TPR

Bagman is one of my all-time favorite arcade games, so much so that I actually owned the stand-up arcade game at one point in my cabinet collecting past life! I was thrilled to hear there would be a Colecovision conversion of by Alekmaul and Collectorvision.

I'm a fan, so I had to order all three box variations and I must say I'm totally pleased with how the boxes look! They are AWESOME! Love the yellow cart on the special edition version. Love that it looks just like something I'd see sitting in a big box store in the 1980s. It's like I didn't age at all. *looks in the mirror* aw, crap! lol

bagman1.jpgbagman2.jpg

The manual is equally as good! The fun of discovery? Sure, you bet! Let's start playing!

bagman3.jpgbagman4.jpg

The title screen is perfect! Love it! And I also LOVE that they included the French version! I used to always keep my cabinet version in this mode, because, well, that's the original language it was written in! Gotta pay homage, right? ;)

bagman5.jpgbagman6.jpg

As soon as the game starts, I'm immediately thrown back to the 80s and instantly remember the layout of that very first level. Everything is there. The ore carts are moving back and forth, the pickaxe is in the right place, those idiot guards are bumbling around looking for me, falling foolishly to their doom, etc. My character even makes the signature voice when hooking into the beams to get into the orecart. It's awesome!!!

bagman7.jpg

I've always been a huge fan of how hard this game is. Of all the climbing games of that day, I think it was probably the most challenging to complete the levels, and even myself, who has played this game hundreds of times, still curses at the machine when I miss the wheelbarrow just a split second before my time runs out! But that's all the fun of discovery.

bagman8.jpg

I don't know if anyone else plays Bagman this way, but I've always worked backwards. Clearing the 3rd screen first, and then moving to the 2nd, etc. It's just always worked best for me.

bagman9.jpgbagman10.jpg

I was a good 20 or so minutes into playing and I had to stop myself and realize.. "OMG! I'm playing this on a COLECOVISION!!!!" It's funny how it doesn't quite hit you at first. But this is *exactly* the game I would have bought and played for HOURS as a kid in the 1980s on my Colecovision and I'm just so thankful to all the people who are still making games today. Never in a million years would I have thought in 1984 that people would still be making some of my favorite games on my favorite classic console in 2015. That's just crazy talk, but that's also really happening! (Now we just need to get real hoverboards and I'm all set!)

The only issues I found with the game is that at times I struggled with the controls to connect with a ladder, or to move off a ladder into a horizontal space and the collision with enemies sometime seemed a bit off. But I quickly figured out how to work around that, though, and just like I did in the 80s with arcade conversions then, I learned all the little tricks needed to work around minor issues. It's on a Colecovision after all, and if I wanted something perfect, I'd play the arcade machine, but that's not the experience I'm looking for.

bagman11.jpg

Overall, *WELL DONE* Alekmaul & Collectorvision! I love it!!!!

Here's a short video of me playing Bagman:

• Like 5

the 8 way colecovision controller is a problem with this game....,

i play this game for 20+ hours as a beta tester and its a really nice and fun game....alekmaul work very hard to bring this game very close to the arcade version...

here one of my best scores

4CEC5236-E772-4D1E-90B4-CCF9B6FC2710.jpg

Edited by chart45

Thank you for the great review Robb!

If any of you didn't have a chance to buy it, its not too late!

We have about 20 copies left :)

Cheers!

Can you reserve me a copy? I'll pay right away, but I want to make sure to get it once I figure out where to order.

dZ.

Thanks for this great review! :)

Alekmaul and I spent alot of time to re-create this arcade game as accurate as possible (Alekmaul did the programming/audio, while I was creating all the graphics)

and it shows! This has to be one of the best arcade to Colecovision conversions I've seen, especially given that it's a true conversion. I mean, it's easily right up there with the best of the official Colecovision releases back in the 80s.

and it shows! This has to be one of the best arcade to Colecovision conversions I've seen, especially given that it's a true conversion. I mean, it's easily right up there with the best of the official Colecovision releases back in the 80s.

Thanks!

I think it's one of the best CV conversion along with Pacman Collection & Mario Bros

And all of this using a 32K PCB architecture wich make it impressive (IMHO)

Digitized sounds, original tune, DIP Switches, Dual Language

the 8 way colecovision controller is a problem with this game....,

i play this game for 20+ hours as a beta tester and its a really nice and fun game....alekmaul work very hard to bring this game very close to the arcade version...

here one of my best scores

4CEC5236-E772-4D1E-90B4-CCF9B6FC2710.jpg

Does the game use 4-way controls?

Got mine yesterday and I gotta say that I am very impressed with all facets of the game and packaging. There are some rough spots when trying to move onto a ladder as was mentioned, but I'm sure with more play time, I will get the feel down.

Great job... everyone!

Thank you for the great review Robb!

If any of you didn't have a chance to buy it, its not too late!

We have about 20 copies left :)

Cheers!

Why do these homebrew game carts go out of production so quickly? I understand that you only have so many boxes printed up, but there are many of us who don't care that much about having a boxed copy and would still want a physical cart of the game. It reeks of the desire for creating artificial rarity/artificial demand among collectors.

Why do these homebrew game carts go out of production so quickly? I understand that you only have so many boxes printed up, but there are many of us who don't care that much about having a boxed copy and would still want a physical cart of the game. It reeks of the desire for creating artificial rarity/artificial demand among collectors.

It's all about demand to be honest

I certainly don't want to sounds rude, but we at CollectorVision don't care much about doing cart only (wich will never happen)

Beside, we always release rom files of our games on our website so people can enjoy our games on a Atarimax SD cart

:)