IGNORED

Original Orphan Overlays: Anyone opened them?

Has anyone around here opened up their set of Orphaned Overlays (series 2 - or 3)? I'm debating cracking mine open in order to scan them. It's killing me - those things are hermetically sealed with stickers and plastic and all.

The motivation is that I'm curious if the Intellivision Productions release is based on Series 2 or 3, or if they use some other previously unpublished version. Usually the differences are subtle between series 1 (the ones I have scanned) and the I.P. versions, but Tower of Doom is quite a bit different.

You may as well open them, have a look and get some enjoyment from them.

someday when you have departed this planet some relative will be sorting out your stuff and look at these casually before shrugging and throwing them in the skip.

• Like 3

Thanks for the video, Dude!

Hmmmm... I'm wondering just what I have then. These came out around what... 2006 or 2007? That was during a pretty tough time and I wasn't able to keep up with things for a bit then. I have the Series 2 'big box' but the stack of overlays in it is pretty thin. Going through my inventory and old statements, there are a few things from Psycho I bought but can't locate. Perhaps what happened was I got a 'delta' set instead... Psycho was pretty willing to work out things like that.
Reason I bring all this up is that I've started a page for the I.P. overlays here, but would like to have more accurate info about just which overlays are modified Psycho Stormtrooper ones, and which series they came from.
So it looks like the ol' collection is missing quite a few of those overlay sets. Anyone recall for Series 2 and 3 if there were big box and small box versions of both? Just series 3?
It's all variations, all the way down.
Edited by intvsteve

Do you have some pictures of the serie 1 to share ?

Not here. I must take some pics when I'm back home, but... I keep on doubting which series I have. For sure 2 different editions and one is Series 3, that is still sealed.
I bought on September-October 2003 the one that I opened... I don't know if this can help understand which series is. I also checked the messages with Roger but the number of the series is never mentioned. This makes me think I have Series 1.
Anyway, I'm home within 2 weeks and will check it.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I looked into deep in my collection and found that I have 3 sets of Orphan overlays made by Roger M.

I opened the first I purchased (I remember it was with no box) and put the overlays in clear plastic sheets with pockets. my set is # 29;

I broke the seal of the second I have, but the box has never been opened;

the third is still sealed.

Well, can anyone help me understand which series I do have ? Surely the third one is Series 3 (it is written on the box), but what about the others?

Thanks for the help

post-41160-0-90639700-1436453559_thumb.jpg

post-41160-0-41966900-1436453572_thumb.jpg

post-41160-0-55332400-1436453583_thumb.jpg

It looks like you have 1, 2 and 3. Are the box backs different and did the first come in a little plastic bag?

Boxes are different and I think the first I purchased was in a clear plastic bag. I bought my first series more than 10 years ago, but I'm sure I still have the seal that I cracked, whichever it was.

Thanks, cmart604. To know that I have all the 3 series released by Roger makes me feel good!

I miss also that one ... for some reason I have never been attracted by those overlays and now that I would like to have them they are hard to find and expansive... but also this is off the topic :)

• 3 months later...

Steve,

Crack them bad boys open! I believe you got one of the first sets (if it is bagged). I would be able to tell by how many are in it. The first sets did not have any homebrew titles or hidden games, just the Intellivision, Sega, & Parker brothers titles If im not mistaken.

The first Beta sets were made for friends and a few collectors (bagged)... no box.

First real Series1 sets were banded with white paper and bagged in plastic.

Then, I started putting them in small white (slide) boxes. Sets were sealed with paper bands and plastic bag. (Ink stamped Psycho Stormtrooper).

Second series sets came in yellow full size box. boxes were numbered.

Series3 sets came in same yellow box with new back label, numbered with hologram.

After all sets were sold in Yellow boxes, many people still wanted the set. I had a surplus of the overlays so I made some sets that were complete, but without the Yellow box. (That was one of those sets in the video). I sold out of those quickly. A few partial sets were also made at the end with what I had left.

Hope this explains some.

Open them up and lets see em'

• Like 1