IGNORED

Run Out!

Papa

Wow! People were a LOT more appreciative of homebrew games back in '07!! I may need to build that time machine after all! Of course if I'm gonna do that I might as well take my games back to the early eighties and transform the labels on all our machines here in the future to...

...ATARI!!

P.S. Thanks for all the 'likes' from everyone on this project! It means a lot to me. I'm about to get the screen on my new programming computer nice and clean so I can crack those knuckles and add more to Run Out!!

I love it Papa, and it's a great start! I had to laugh a bit about your comment about people being more appreciative back then. :) bB was still in it's infancy when I made Turbo and it was one of very few games that used the multisprite kernel at the time, most games used the standard kernel with only 2 sprites. It was much more impressive in 2007 than now with the pure awesomeness of the DPC+ kernel. I love driving games and look forward to more updates!

• Like 1

You can make it around them, it just takes some steering!! Press away from the corner in a pattern that keeps you close to the edge and not too far as you go around the car. It takes some practice, but it's the difficulty of the game!

I know that I only zoomed the cars once (they are actually zoomed once to begin with and then zoomed again) but I'm happy with the change of size. If I started them at their smallest size it would look kind of mashed in (like a couple of the buildings look, admittedly...), and I can't have them the same size from foreground to background.

I find that the steering just has to be learned and then zipping past the other cars is pretty easy. Once you remember what turn is coming up then you can favor one side or another. The earlier cars are actually set up to reach you just as the turn is starting out to gently guide the car to the passing side.

I have just been working on adding drums and other sounds to my music by changing the channels on the fly with some very awesome results. Titan Axe will have this updated music. Run Out just needs a timer and two more songs finished. I may add a couple more backgrounds just for good measure.

Has anyone made it to the statue?

i don't like how the approaching cars get bigger as they get closer to you.....they are so wide you can't get around them. Is this a bug in the game?

RunOutTest3.png?lgfp=3000

..and on that note. I may consider changing the opponent cars to have a less prominent zoom by shrinking (drawing a copy that is smaller) the original sprite one grade down and then leaving the zoom in the larger state rather than change it twice. I would then select the smaller sprite at first and this should streamline the animation. I may not have the room for it, but I'll give it shot!

As for making it easier... I may set the second instances of cars to the hard switch to back off some of the traffic during harder turns. I really love the level of difficulty now and don't have too much trouble getting around cars (that is the game, though!). I spin out sometimes (fun). My daughter was playing it on the upright and mentioned that the blue cars resembled cop cars in our city. This gave me the idea of including cop cars that are instant 'game over' inducers. Hit the cop and get flashing lights and a 'Game Over', in addition to racing the other cars and beating the timer.

The cars are very carefully positioned so as to allow passing on either side in most instances and to make your car collide just right as to make you spin out if you touch them at all. I really can't change them too much. I love how they drive off if you hit the brakes. My daughter was having fun just hitting the brakes. Without the timer programmed in you can really just wait until the opponent cars are very close and then hit the brakes. They will take off into the distance and usually not come back (until the next ones come about!). Granted, when the timer is installed this would be futile.

Thanks everyone and I hope to bring you the latest update of Run Out AND Titan Axe (with new music and some updated backgrounds) very soon!!

• Like 1

Newest update!!

Now the cars are more streamlined when they zoom. It's a tad easier to pass them, but still hard enough to be a challenge. The music changes a little more than halfway through as I am reserving space for two more songs and this is being taken up by chunks of the first song until they are written in.

More to come...

RunOutTest4.bin

• Like 1

Sweet game Papa!

It's neat, it's easy enough to pick up and play and it's fun. I like it!

Thanks a LOT! That avatar looks just like me eating popcorn, by the way...

..Next up is more music, a timer, and more background graphics!!

Edited by Papa

Newest update!!

Now the cars are more streamlined when they zoom. It's a tad easier to pass them, but still hard enough to be a challenge. The music changes a little more than halfway through as I am reserving space for two more songs and this is being taken up by chunks of the first song until they are written in.

More to come...

attachicon.gifRunOutTest4.bin

Much better! I can get around some of them finally but as soon as I'm about to pass them the road starts to curve and I crash.

Good work on the game so far!

• Like 1

Almost done!!

A lot has been done:

Select a car color with difficulty switches (yellow, red, and blue!!)!

Left Difficulty "A" = Blue car

Right Difficulty "A" = Yellow car

Both "B" (default) = Red car

Pause the game with the B/W-Color switch (BW to pause, Color to unpause).

'Game Over' screen with song done (color adjustments maybe later)...

Brake lights more realisticalish looking!

Timer with animation set!

This game syncs great on real hardware and will be done after just a few tweaks. I will likely alter the turns to add some difficulty to later levels.

RunOutX.bin

Edited by Papa

Run Out! is basically (ha ha) done!!

Making it through the whole course gives you a bonus (perfect for the fourth).

Fire is gas

Down is brake

Up is shift (after the first two gears auto shift)

Right and Left steer (duh.)

Car colors can be selected with difficulty switches.

The game can be paused and unpaused with the B/W-Color switch.

Some colors have been adjusted to make objects appear better in certain places.

More opponent car colors have been added.

The timer is perfected to force you to haul A$$!!

Enjoy this game before it's final tweaks (if any) and please buy a copy in the future of..

Run Out!

RunOut.bin

..also..

Someone tell me what the bonus is before tomorrow!! (I guess tomorrow works, too)

Update!!

Pause was jittery on the real hardware (perfectly still in the cycle checker, though...), so it's fixed now.

Now when you pause the game the playfield vanishes leaving everything on the screen except your car. This is both cool and functional as you can get a better look at the little sprites ripping by.

RunOut.bin

• Like 1

O.k i finally got around to playing it and this is what i think. Firstly congratulations on putting together a great game, I have only two points, one i would say kill the music, its impressive that you have managed to get it in there but it isnt good, the bleepy tones just detract from what is a great game and secondly i would say that the other car model sprites that you come up against actually look sportier than the player car, i found the gearshift confusing and going hi-to low was seemingly random uit never felt much like i was doing it but im sure thats just player error.

I would kill the music and maybe alter the car sprite, but for me just loosing the music would make it fine, id certainly buy a cartridge of this game.

Did you play the latest download or one of the earlier ones? I think the gearshift problem may have been real and in the earlier downloads. I may be able to make the music switchable off and on!?! I like it, although it's admittedly annoying as is most Atari VCS 'music'. I will consider an omission if I can't make it switchable. I also have changed the channel that the notes are played through on some earlier versions I was working on, making the music sound better. Earlier versions (before uploading) sounded kind of like a distorted electric guitar. Perhaps this would be something you would like. It's pretty hard to code long musical sequences with the VCS, so things end up being repetitive and bloopy-bleepy sounding. I agree that the other cars are really sporty looking, as might be part of the charm and theme of the original Out Run. A convertible 'Ferrari' vs corvettes and impossibly fast VW Bugs with some cool trucks and semis thrown in for good measure was part of the original, as I'm sure you know.

I've managed to squeeze as much data into the 32k as possible, so fitting a change to the music without ripping it out all together might not be possible at this point. I will try. Changing the channel for what might be a more pleasing result is as easy as changing one number.

Thanks a lot for the honest review! I'm glad you like the game itself. If you haven't tried the latest download, please do.

O.k i finally got around to playing it and this is what i think. Firstly congratulations on putting together a great game, I have only two points, one i would say kill the music, its impressive that you have managed to get it in there but it isnt good, the bleepy tones just detract from what is a great game and secondly i would say that the other car model sprites that you come up against actually look sportier than the player car, i found the gearshift confusing and going hi-to low was seemingly random uit never felt much like i was doing it but im sure thats just player error.

I would kill the music and maybe alter the car sprite, but for me just loosing the music would make it fine, id certainly buy a cartridge of this game.

Mmmmkaaaay... I just set it up so at the title screen you can hold down while pressing fire to start and this will disable the in-game music (noise). I also lowered the music (noise) volume by one notch to keep dogs from surrounding peoples houses.

This will be available in the 'for sale' version of Run Out!

Thanks for the suggestion and it was a b with an itch to figure out how to squeeze that last bit in there! It's done, though. So good!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Mmmmkaaaay... I just set it up so at the title screen you can hold down while pressing fire to start and this will disable the in-game music (noise). I also lowered the music (noise) volume by one notch to keep dogs from surrounding peoples houses.

This will be available in the 'for sale' version of Run Out!

Thanks for the suggestion and it was a b with an itch to figure out how to squeeze that last bit in there! It's done, though. So good!! :thumbsup:

wow thanks for listening and im continually impressed with your ethic and ability to just get things done, i will try the new version once you post it.

Thanks again

• Like 1