IGNORED

my atari

My Atari 600xl, connected to a 1065 memory module, in all its glory, resides in my living room attached to a 42" Vizio. I have it hooked to an iMac running AspeQt through an sio2usb cable from Lotherek. Two CX40 joysticks with gold contacts rest by its side.

And I am single-handedly trying to grok every XEX and ATR game ever written for it. It is a daunting task, one that is not understood by my family. I am aided by the Antic podcast, and am about to begin interview #50. I think some of you may know how I feel.

Edited by airsoftmodels
  • Like 1

I had to look up "grok"
Urban Dictionary has
>>>
Taken from the book 'Stranger in a Strange Land,' literally meaning 'to drink' but taken to mean 'understanding.' Often used by programmers and other assorted geeks.
It took me a long time to grok Perl, but now I can read it without going blind!
<<<
Non the wiser I tried Wikipedia
>>>

Grok /ˈɡrɒk/ is a word coined by Robert A. Heinlein for his 1961 science-fiction novel, Stranger in a Strange Land, where it is defined as follows:

Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed—to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science—and it means as little to us (because of our Earthling assumptions) as color means to a blind man.
The Oxford English Dictionary defines to grok as "to understand intuitively or by empathy; to establish rapport with" and "to empathize or communicate sympathetically (with); also, to experience enjoyment".

<<<

So the next question is does this need to go on my reading list?

• Like 1

I had to look up "grok"
Urban Dictionary has
>>>
Taken from the book 'Stranger in a Strange Land,' literally meaning 'to drink' but taken to mean 'understanding.' Often used by programmers and other assorted geeks.
It took me a long time to grok Perl, but now I can read it without going blind!
<<<
Non the wiser I tried Wikipedia
>>>

Grok /ˈɡrɒk/ is a word coined by Robert A. Heinlein for his 1961 science-fiction novel, Stranger in a Strange Land, where it is defined as follows:

Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed—to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science—and it means as little to us (because of our Earthling assumptions) as color means to a blind man.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines to grok as "to understand intuitively or by empathy; to establish rapport with" and "to empathize or communicate sympathetically (with); also, to experience enjoyment".

<<<

So the next question is does this need to go on my reading list?

yes, read the book. good book.

• Like 2

My Atari 600xl, connected to a 1065 memory module, in all its glory, resides in my living room attached to a 42" Vizio. I have it hooked to an iMac running AspeQt through an sio2usb cable from Lotherek. Two CX40 joysticks with gold contacts rest by its side.

Well where's a bloody photo?

I wouldn't even know how to "grok" an XEX. It does sound daunting. I'd try it, but I'm worried I'd hurt myself.

I don't know why I kept thinking of it as a "1065", when I knew it was a 64k module. Hmm, maybe I was borrowing atari's later naming convention of the 65XE? Perhaps I should start calling my 600XL a 17XE?

it'd be a 16XE, 16384 doesn't round up.

or maybe 1/4 of 65, 16.25, still though, rounds down.

Edited by Joey Z