IGNORED

What are your expectations for a "Homebrew" release?

TPR

In my opinion I have no problem with as many games that can be released ... can never be too many . I just buy what I like to play and if some don't look good then I don't buy . However , I have seen quite a few brews released that aren't tested very well for bugs which is a problem of its own . Also , I won't buy a homebrew if I can't see a gameplay video of it so that I can decide if it is good enough to buy or not . As someone trying to sell a product why would you not make or have someone make a quick gameplay video of it in action .

• Like 1

Here's a couple other questions I was thinking about recently. I saw someone in another thread mention that they though there were "too many homebrew games" being worked on at the moment. (You can see the current full list in the Homebrew Project Tracker Thread)

My thought on this matter is "can you really have too much of a good thing?" But what do other people think?

Is there really a downside to having too many games in development?

I hear some people complain about the cost associated with so many games coming out, but If the bigger distributors like Pixelboy & Collectorvision are willing to produce carts assuming their stock may sell over time versus immediately, is it really a big deal? And maybe they are getting enough pre-orders to make that a moot point, anyway?

Does having a lot of games in development discourage independent people from making more games for the system? It seems like if anything, there are more people willing to jump in the CV development camp now, but if people feel like it's a crowded market to get their game some attention, is this hurting things or helping?

When i got out of collecting retro games ten years ago, almost none of this existed. What you were able to collect then was a finite number of items based on what was primarily released during the systems initial run. And now there is all kinds of fan-generated content from new games, boxes, controllers, etc that I would hate to see any of that stop because the fan community thinks it's a bad thing.

Just curious on other people's thoughts...

Personally i think more there is quality homebrew games better it is. I don't buy all , but i like to have the choice. And i find that fantastic to so much title released for a 30 year old console.

But as homebrew developper, more there is game developped for a console less i'm interrested to develop for it.

Now, i started to lost my interrest developping for the C.V . I have still 4 titles i would like to complete. And then i will probably leave the scene ( ok... i see some people that are very happy! :-D ) , and will develop for another console... Odyssey 2 , 7800 or Amstrad GX 4000 or PC Engine are good candidate. Don't know yet.

Edited by youki

Personally i think more there is quality homebrew games better it is. I don't buy all , but i like to have the choice. And i find that fantastic to so much title released for a 30 year old console.

But as homebrew developper, more there is game developped for a console less i'm interrested to develop for it.

Now, i started to lost my interrest developping for the C.V . I have still 4 titles i would like to complete. And then i will probably leave the scene ( ok... i see some people that are very happy! :-D ) , and will develop for another console... Odyssey 2 , 7800 or Amstrad GX 4000 or PC Engine are good candidate. Don't know yet.

Let me make your mind up for you ... develop on the 7800 next ;)

Develope for the Sega Genesis please. I would love to play classic arcade games on the Genesis.

Develope for the Sega Genesis please. I would love to play classic arcade games on the Genesis.

Sorry , The Genesis is not a candidate. I like a lot the console , but :

- too much title already exists

- To produce an homebrew title that is close to the quality of commercial title , i would need to much time that i don't have .

- It would required too much graphic work and graphic talent i don't have. so i would need a good graphist that share my view and who have time!

- same thing for sound and music.

- And i have always prefered 8 bits.

Sorry , The Genesis is not a candidate. I like a lot the console , but :

- too much title already exists

- To produce an homebrew title that is close to the quality of commercial title , i would need to much time that i don't have .

- It would required too much graphic work and graphic talent i don't have. so i would need a good graphist that share my view and who have time!

- same thing for sound and music.

- And i have always prefered 8 bits.

You'd be in the same boat with the PC Engine, not that I'm complaining.

You'd be in the same boat with the PC Engine, not that I'm complaining.

Yes , the difference is that around me i have real crazy fans of console who are professional graphists and have done already tons of sprites and background for various game idea they had. They just need a coder!... and they put pressure on me since years now :)

The other difference, is that there are less game for the PC Engine than Genesis released. So the console is more interesting for me.

And it is a 8bit.

But my preference would be the Amstrad GX 4000 , i think.

Because :

• there is just a dozen of released games and most of them does not exploit the console (they are just amstrad CPC lazy port) and are bad.
  • Nobody like this console! ;-)
  • The hardware is interesting , i 'm curious to see what we can do with that.

Wrong point : It is Z80 based. I 'd prefer something around 6502 .

Anyway, first i have to complete my current projects on colecovision. i will see after.

• Like 1