IGNORED

OFFICIAL Reservation Thread for Hover Bovver

I'm not sure if dZ is loony tools - I just think he's trying to be the best douche bag he can be:-) I just didn't want anyone accusing me of saying anything behind someone's back:-) But seriously dB, you were such a dZ to me/my family:-). I have dealt with many people on and off these boards for over 3 decades of collecting exclusively for the inty and never had a problem with anyone else. What you did was wrong on many levels. Next post in 120 days - in time for the "The Dark Side of Carol":-)

I have no time to reply. I find your description of me very amusing.

I think I'll have to tell people why you feel that way. (You told me in email) They'll think you are looney tunes.

Oh, it is no secret. I'll say it since you are so fond of airing dirty laundry. I can trace my distaste of you to one particular point: CGE 2012.

When we discovered the critical bug in Christmas Carol after selling several copies, while I was clearly distressed, and Joe and I were exploring our options on how to deal with the situation; your contribution to the discussion was "don't worry about it. They are collectors, they probably won't even open the box, so they won't even notice."

This wasn't just a throw-away comment. Your insistence and rationalizations (and they were many, including how much money you had at stake, so best to sweep it under the rug) on why we shouldn't care because collectors don't open the boxes and besides, it would probably be a more expensive variant later , so you're doing them a favour; rang too close to the personal conceptions of a business man with little regard for his customers.

After that, your actions, your words, and your loud threats -- even upon some of your own customers -- have reinforced that. The fact that this and so many other threads in which you or your games are involved, go awry, are testament to this.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 3

I see that our good ol' friend is back and instead of addressing 10 pages of comments by others, he went straight for me. I know you like to follow me around, but it's a bit creepy. :-o

Name calling, really?

Besides, the limited sales and the highly volatile comments in this and a couple of other threads show that people have seen exactly what kind of person you really are.

-dZ.

It amazes me that a supposed business man would come in here and comment on a month old post to continue a grudge match. Extremely unprofessional and bad for business in general. If he had an ounce of sense he would stick to business matters only.

• Like 3

@ Games For Your Intellivision

I'll add this. You seem to have a history of providing a good product. You really should resist getting drawn into negative and personal discussions. Let your games speak for themselves. Use the forums to provide information on your games and answer game related questions. There is simply nothing positive that can come out of getting into public arguments.

I'm not sure if dZ is loony tools - I just think he's trying to be the best douche bag he can be:-) I just didn't want anyone accusing me of saying anything behind someone's back:-) But seriously dB, you were such a dZ to me/my family:-). I have dealt with many people on and off these boards for over 3 decades of collecting exclusively for the inty and never had a problem with anyone else. What you did was wrong on many levels. Next post in 120 days - in time for the "The Dark Side of Carol":-)

Ah, he isn't being a douche bag Joe. He is being 'moral' and was policing his contest to keep out the riff raff. (That's you by the way)

Who cares if he made a little girl cry? His 'contest' was pure.

Seriously, I've thought a lot about this since he relegated me to the 'moral trash heap'. He is what I believe to be a moral absolutist.

http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_moral_absolutism.html

Quoted from the link:

"Moral Absolutism is the ethical belief that there are absolute standards against which moral questions can be judged, and that certain actions are right or wrong, regardless of the context of the act."

So, as far as I know, he never apologized for the act of making a little girl cry, and as far as I know, feels totally justified in his actions and probably sleeps at night 'knowing' he was 'moral'. Others would just call him a 'douche bag'.

I would like to suggest that even though he believes ME to be 'losing friends' that the court of public opinion is against him and in fact HE is the one losing friends. And, I suggest that like me, you loathe him for the exact same reason I do. He judged you to be morally bankrupt. Which, ironically, is exactly what his actions are.

• Like 1

@ Games For Your Intellivision

I'll add this. You seem to have a history of providing a good product. You really should resist getting drawn into negative and personal discussions. Let your games speak for themselves. Use the forums to provide information on your games and answer game related questions. There is simply nothing positive that can come out of getting into public arguments.

Oh I agree 'tep392'. But, I really don't care.

Why? Because 'Classic Game Publishers, Inc.' is in the process of shutting down. My accountant is closing the company as a legal entity. Why? Because I don't live in the Province of Ontario, Canada. I am the only shareholder and I am not a resident of Ontario. Games in the pipeline will come out, but the legal entity known as CGPI will come to an end very soon.

I have no further desire to restart the company in another country. Not only due to the language issue, but because frankly, I'm tired of this crap. People may have noticed that in fact, I DON'T come in to do much more than provide information and answer game related questions. However, I'm tired of the constant campaign of cheap shots by Groovy Bee and Dz-Jay in particular.

They both have mocked me in the past for daring to believe that I could make a living selling games. At the same time, there are implications that I am making money hand over fist and that I'm 'greedy and exploitive'. James never comes out and says EXACTLY who he is talking about (he needs weasel room), but his whisper campaign is tiring. He's done everything in his power to 'prove me wrong' that I could do this as a business.

I've been running the business for a little over 3 years now.

Ok, here is what happened.......

D2K Arcade - Made Money

D2K Arcade - Lost money (Thanks Rev!)

Minehunter - broke even

Match 5 - Lost money

Paddle Party - Lost money

Old School - Made money

The Lost Caves of Kroz - Made money

Boulder Dash® - Broke even (so far)

For those following along, I didn't lose money but I certainly didn't make much. Boo Hoo. I gave it a try. And, despite what Dz implies, I didn't cheat anybody. I've dealt with everyone fairly and above board.

So, when my company shuts down, you guys can call me 'homebrew'. I don't care. Because then that is what it will be. The fact that Old School sold more than Boulder Dash® tells me that it is a waste of time to do commercial releases. And, of course you are going to hear a lot of crap about how or why that was.

The only thing that I would like to say is that Atari Age customers are an IMPORTANT part of sales, but they aren't the ONLY sales. So, I know that certain people are going to start going on about how I 'blew it' because I offended certain people around here. Well, I really don't think that has much to do with the big picture. I really think that the market has been flooded with lots of competition that doesn't pay license fees (because the IP is stolen) and no programmer fees (because the program is stolen) (Carousel, Space Can't, Game Factory anyone?) 200 copies is not going to cut it on a commercial game. If every game sold like D2K, I'd be sitting pretty.

So, I'll soon be gone. But, on the bright side, you guys will have lots of 'homebrew' excitement and anticipation with lots of gifs and hollow promises. They've been serving you well for the last couple of years.

Hi William,

1) First I just wanted to thank you for backing me on my whole personal ordeal back in Xmas 2013 during Carol competition when all I was trying to do was get a diversion from real life troubles. I'm not going to lie I ripped dZ good and that's why he blocked me from all PMs, future competitions, etc... But in my defense, I/my family were called cheaters and my poor niece brought to hysterical tears on New Year's Eave so that's how I reacted. To this day she still loathes him and I have a 2 page letter written by a then 9-year old to show her hurt/anger.

2) I just wanted to quickly thank you for the games you released and congratulate you on what you did accomplish. I feel there is no shame in not making decent money as it's very hard in such a niche market. Also, for someone like myself who has NO technical/artistic ability to speak of, I truly admire/appreciate all the work that goes into all games post 1990. I wish you the best in new country and hopefully you put out the odd game now and then for shits and giggles.

Joe.

• Like 2

Oh, it is no secret. I'll say it since you are so fond of airing dirty laundry. I can trace my distaste of you to one particular point: CGE 2012.

When we discovered the critical bug in Christmas Carol after selling several copies, while I was clearly distressed, and Joe and I were exploring our options on how to deal with the situation; your contribution to the discussion was "don't worry about it. They are collectors, they probably won't even open the box, so they won't even notice."

This wasn't just a throw-away comment. Your insistence and rationalizations (and they were many, including how much money you had at stake, so best to sweep it under the rug) on why we shouldn't care because collectors don't open the boxes and besides, it would probably be a more expensive variant later , so you're doing them a favour; rang too close to the personal conceptions of a business man with little regard for his customers.

After that, your actions, your words, and your loud threats -- even upon some of your own customers -- have reinforced that. The fact that this and so many other threads in which you or your games are involved, go awry, are testament to this.

-dZ.

Fond of airing dirty laundry? How do you determine that me telling people that you made a little girl cry makes me 'fond of airing dirty laundry'? Is this the only negative connotation that you can throw back at me?

On second thought, it probably is.

Yes, you can trace your distaste to me to one incident that you totally judged my entire character on at CGE.

That's what makes you a nut bar.

It took me a while to realize that you made a complete moral judgement about my character from ONE thing I said rather off the cuff. Obviously, you are convinced otherwise when you say 'This wasn't just a throw-away comment'.

If you weren't so self absorbed you would have realized that 'yes, it was'.

When I found out about 'the bug' that you were so 'distressed' about. (That YOU caused by the way) I had NO IDEA that it was a 'fatal' bug (as in the game was totally broken) and made an off the cuff comment that it would turn into a rare variant and just fix the bug and not worry about sold copies.... This was simply brainstorming on what action(s) to take regarding a bug I had no idea was FATAL. Obviously, when I found out that it was fatal, I rejected that idea as not acceptable. However, the damage was done. In your mind, I was an 'underhanded' person despite absolutely NO proof. From that point on, you looked at everything I said or did with a critical eye EXPECTING something underhanded or nefarious.

Who does this? You. That's who.

Since then, you've been on a campaign to 'discredit' me......but unfortunately, the things you imagine about me are all n your mind. It must be very frustrating that others (aside from Groovy Bee) have such a hard time 'seeing' what you do.

This statement above:

"After that, your actions, your words, and your loud threats -- even upon some of your own customers -- have reinforced that. The fact that this and so many other threads in which you or your games are involved, go awry, are testament to this."

This illustrates how out to lunch you are. Loud threads - even upon some of your own customers???!!! Are you nuts? You look under every rock for my 'evil' and you FIND it. Too bad nobody else sees it.

And, the only reason '...that this and so many other threads in which you or your games are involved, go awry,...' is only because of you and your campaign against my imagined transgressions.

It really is great that you could treat the whole experience of bringing out a game as a hobby. It was so much fun. You got paid, people heaped praise on you for making a great Pac Man variant....for which you've been milking it ever since. I didn't have the same luxury. I had to pay the bills.

It is telling that you didn't give a whit if Joe made or lost any money on your game. You cause a bug and happily do a recall on his dime. Correct me if I'm wrong. Due to YOUR whining and complaining about the perfectly fine stickers I printed for your game Joe did a whole new batch. No skin off of your nose when you aren't paying the bills.

So, the bottom line is that due to your imagination of what I'm actually like, you stoop low and miss no opportunity to imply that I am an underhanded cheating businessman. Congratulations. You've really shown them.

• Like 1

And just for the record, I do not think you are some "nefarious force in the Intellivision world." I just think you are an opportunist with little scruples who would stand at nothing to get what he wants, even exploiting others, and who resorts to very public martyrdom and ad hominem attacks when things don't go your way.

I have been working directly with William now for over a year, and I believe we have become good friends.

We brought 3 games to market in that time. You called him opportunistic. Any sale of a game is an opportunity. So in that vein selling CC was opportunistic.

You say he does not have scruples. I beg to differ. A programmer did not want to take payment from him and said he programmed it for fun. William sent him a check instead of PayPal so that he had to deposit it.

Who did he exploit? Even though I know the word, I looked it up anyway to make sure I knew what I was talking about. You say he used other people for his own gain? Are you talking about Mark? What did he gain from that? Mark was not used. William was willing and would still make a deal with Mark if Mark would provide what William is asking for. It is Mark's move and he is not willing to make it.

I never heard the story of the girl crying until now.

I can see why some people use that name for you! It is not just two people using it either, there are quite a few.

• Like 1

Hi SoulBuster,

I just wanted to quickly thank you for the kind words and empathy.

I also wanted to quickly apologize to anyone who is tired of hearing about my niece/god daughter crying story as I don't want to come off as a thin-skinned whiner. But to see a child so excited one minute playing a game & legitimately earning a patch that she was going to sew on her girl scout thingy to crying in tears and me not being able to do crap about it was a really crappy feeling as her uncle/godfather. And I tried swallowing my pride for my niece's sake to no avail. And PS: I own close to 2% of inventory of Carol -thanks I get for supporting his game (I even had to buy another copy because I didn't have access to my games due to divorce and fact that I don't use emulation yet. Anyways, thanks everyone for understanding and letting me vent from time to time (I'll try NOT to overdo it). One day I'll share that letter - pretty bad though over a $1 patch give or take:-(

Best regards inty community:-)

Joe

• Like 1

Fond of airing dirty laundry? How do you determine that me telling people that you made a little girl cry makes me 'fond of airing dirty laundry'? Is this the only negative connotation that you can throw back at me?

On second thought, it probably is.

Yes, you can trace your distaste to me to one incident that you totally judged my entire character on at CGE.

That's what makes you a nut bar.

It took me a while to realize that you made a complete moral judgement about my character from ONE thing I said rather off the cuff. Obviously, you are convinced otherwise when you say 'This wasn't just a throw-away comment'.

If you weren't so self absorbed you would have realized that 'yes, it was'.

When I found out about 'the bug' that you were so 'distressed' about. (That YOU caused by the way) I had NO IDEA that it was a 'fatal' bug (as in the game was totally broken) and made an off the cuff comment that it would turn into a rare variant and just fix the bug and not worry about sold copies.... This was simply brainstorming on what action(s) to take regarding a bug I had no idea was FATAL. Obviously, when I found out that it was fatal, I rejected that idea as not acceptable. However, the damage was done. In your mind, I was an 'underhanded' person despite absolutely NO proof. From that point on, you looked at everything I said or did with a critical eye EXPECTING something underhanded or nefarious.

Who does this? You. That's who.

Since then, you've been on a campaign to 'discredit' me......but unfortunately, the things you imagine about me are all n your mind. It must be very frustrating that others (aside from Groovy Bee) have such a hard time 'seeing' what you do.

This statement above:

"After that, your actions, your words, and your loud threats -- even upon some of your own customers -- have reinforced that. The fact that this and so many other threads in which you or your games are involved, go awry, are testament to this."

This illustrates how out to lunch you are. Loud threads - even upon some of your own customers???!!! Are you nuts? You look under every rock for my 'evil' and you FIND it. Too bad nobody else sees it.

And, the only reason '...that this and so many other threads in which you or your games are involved, go awry,...' is only because of you and your campaign against my imagined transgressions.

It really is great that you could treat the whole experience of bringing out a game as a hobby. It was so much fun. You got paid, people heaped praise on you for making a great Pac Man variant....for which you've been milking it ever since. I didn't have the same luxury. I had to pay the bills.

It is telling that you didn't give a whit if Joe made or lost any money on your game. You cause a bug and happily do a recall on his dime. Correct me if I'm wrong. Due to YOUR whining and complaining about the perfectly fine stickers I printed for your game Joe did a whole new batch. No skin off of your nose when you aren't paying the bills.

So, the bottom line is that due to your imagination of what I'm actually like, you stoop low and miss no opportunity to imply that I am an underhanded cheating businessman. Congratulations. You've really shown them.

Ah, I see you really like talking about things you know very little about.

At every point in time during production of the game, I offered to pay all costs (yes, you do not have a monopoly on money). Joe Z. wanted to run production himself and said he wanted to take care of it. Yes, go ask him.

The bug in Christmas Carol was unfortunate, and Joe Z. and I discussed how to handle it. Again, he offered to take care of it, even though I was ready to. As a matter of fact, there was a second recall (even bigger, since sales had grown from the 16 copies sold at CGE) for a PAL bug. Again Joe Z. And I discussed how to handle it and this time I paid for it myself, including shipping the new boards and cartridges to me and shipping them out to affected customers (yes, we took pride in making people whole after bugs were discovered, I feel no shame for that).

The Christmas contests I paid out of pocket, including the heavy promotion, in part to promote sales of the game so that LTO (Joe Z.) could make money.

I did not make a profit of the game. As a matter of fact, if you're keeping score, LTO paid me $5 per unit sold, which was our arrangement. That's 300 copies: $1,500, after I myself paid $800 for the printing of manuals, $500 for artwork (including a throwaway bad deal at the beginning), and over $1K in prizes and promotion for the contest each year. (Yep, those contests are all me, including the one last year, after my deal with LTO concluded and therefore was not intended to generate sales.) And that's not counting programming labour, nor the PAL recall.

So, where exactly have I milked it? Is it in sharing the game for free so that others can play it? Boo-hoo. :lol:

I'm sure it's easy for you to just talk about spending money, as if it was your exclusive domain. Like you like to talk about how your 10k printing die for boxes saved my day and produced my game, without accepting that I was already in discussions with Joe Z. and others in producing my own. I recall that there was even a thread in here somewhere where we were all (including you) discussing how to design the gatefold box template for a die, as a group effort. So you got the die made, great! Good for you. Others can as well. 10K is not prohibitively expensive as you may think.

This was never about the money, nor spending it (at least for me). The difference here is that, if and when I spend money on these projects, I know I'm probably not going to recover it, so I make sure it is something worth to me and that I enjoy. At that point I ask myself, how much is my hobby worth? To me, the nostalgia and the challenge are worth big bucks. But that's me.

dZ.

• Like 1

"So, where exactly have I milked it?"

Some things that you've said don't jive with what I've been told. However, I acquiesce to your recollections about the finances of your game. Nevertheless, you WERE paid.

Giving away the ROM was another show of how little it mattered to you the significant investment that both Joe and I made in dies, boards, shells etc. I get it. It didn't matter to you and you were willing to do it as a labour of love and even kick in your own money. Good for you. I mean that. But, It had nothing to do with the fact that I was trying to build a business in order to survive that you've continued to spread innuendo against. I'd like it to stop. You have no proof.

When I said you 'milked it' I meant as in milking it for attention. I think that most people would agree that you find a way to work programming Christmas Carol into almost every conversation you have on here. Yes, you did a good job. Yes, people love/loved your game. But, please, give it a rest.

• Like 1

Nevertheless, you WERE paid.

Yes, I make no apologies that I got paid a fraction of what I invested (even though it was an LTO production), not counting the programming at all. :roll:

Like I said, it's not about the money. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that LTO wanted to maintain control of production so that they could reap the rewards, which is fair. And it was always my sincerest hope that they did. My reward was always to have the game out there.

Win-win.

Giving away the ROM was another show of how little it mattered to you the significant investment that both Joe and I made in dies, boards, shells etc. I get it.

That was always the plan. We (as in Joe Z. and I) were going to wait until the break-even point because on our original discussions BOTH OF US believed that the ROM offering had little impact on sales. I stand by that.

Joe Z. may have a different opinion now (I don't know), but it doesn't change the fact that at some point he agreed and that I released the ROM with his full cooperation and blessings (he even helped me make the "for personal use only" screen sound more friendly instead of just a "cold" copyright disclaimer).

Anyway, I do not claim to speak for Joe Z.; that's all based on my previous discussions with him, which I have on e-mail, in which you were not involved. I could see why you wouldn't know about any of this, though I can't see what possesses you to talk of it regardless. :roll:

Go ask him directly and find out.

(Sorry, intvnut, if your ears are ringing!)

And again, the contest was intended to promote LTO sales, so that he could recoup his investment and make some money. This was never a one-sided deal.

When I said you 'milked it' I meant as in milking it for attention. I think that most people would agree that you find a way to work programming Christmas Carol into almost every conversation you have on here.

You mean, like you just brought it up in this thread, again, the one about your game?

Like I said, you want to change the topic name? :P

dZ.

• Like 1

Well, if Elektronite does back out, rest assured Intellivision lovers and collectors That DZ-Jay and Groovy Bee are working on making great games for all of us to play and love!

Thanks guys, keep up the great work. Gotta go Lost Caves of Kroz level 8 is calling for my playing time! :thumbsup:

With that being said, my full opinion is from a collectors standpoint......it sucks to see this Intellivision community divided and broken up from things like this kind of stuff does.

Play the games or collect them, make new ones if we are fortunate enough to see new games for the system........just play,collect and have fun! :thumbsup: :)

Well, if Elektronite does back out, rest assured Intellivision lovers and collectors That DZ-Jay and Groovy Bee are working on making great games for all of us to play and love!

Thanks guys, keep up the great work. Gotta go Lost Caves of Kroz level 8 is calling for my playing time! :thumbsup:

I know what you are trying to do, but it's not just us, there's retrollucid, nanochess, the CollectorVision guys, IntelligentVision, and a few others out there still making high quality games. The community is growing and getting more exposure, and new blood will continue coming.

Elektronite does not have a monopoly of games production in the Intellivision community, and according to Williams's disappointment over sales, apparently never did.

Cheers!

dZ.

• Like 1

Cheers to you as well DZ-Jay!

First off you have no idea what I am trying to do here.

I only collect games, I don't make them and yes I do love to collect and play them . That's it!

I just want to see them on my Intellivision however anyone makes that happen. Anyone who can do that I will support to the fullest extent. Period.

Elektronite however, whether you will recognize it or not has produced many of the great games I speak of, so that is what I am defending here.

And I do agree, there are many great potential producers out there for the system, and I do hope to see more great games.

I am not, and do not want to be a negative force at all and really, only positive influence for the system.

The trash talking and bad mouthing should I hope stop from any direction for anyone's best interests here. Thank you all, Wolfy

• Like 3

Wow guys. There is somebody who really misses some of you: The Edit button. I mean seriously: 4-5 posts in a row? What the hell...

Edit: If you missed it: This is not a "1000st post get a price" Spam thread. Even if most content is much below the content of the spam threads posts.

Oh, I have a SECOND EDIT (look how well the function works?):

Games for your Intellivision wrote:

Why? Because 'Classic Game Publishers, Inc.' is in the process of shutting down. My accountant is closing the company as a legal entity. Why? Because I don't live in the Province of Ontario, Canada. I am the only shareholder and I am not a resident of Ontario. Games in the pipeline will come out, but the legal entity known as CGPI will come to an end very soon.

I have no further desire to restart the company in another country. Not only due to the language issue, but because frankly, I'm tired of this crap. People may have noticed that in fact, I DON'T come in to do much more than provide information and answer game related questions. However, I'm tired of the constant campaign of cheap shots by Groovy Bee and Dz-Jay in particular.

What exactly does that mean? You leave some backdoors for me. Are you shutting down your "business", releasing the remaining games and than leaving the screne, or are you shutting down the business and go on releasing Homebrew-Games? I do not really see how you want to go on.

And to the last sentence: Dont worry, not just them two are tired of you. In fact you are a really terrible person, at least that is what you show everyone here in this board again and again.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 4