IGNORED

Flashback 2 select button stopped working

• 8 months later...

I took the Flashback apart again to see if I could see anything more. I was expecting to see a switch on the board that the select button presses, but instead there is just a spot that is labeled "SELECT". I don't understand how this switch works. Can anyone explain it?

I don't own a FB2, but looking at pictures of the board, it appears to have rubber contact pad type switches. These are commonly found in television remote controls and can fail with age. This same type of cheap switch is what plagues the Atari 5200 controller buttons..

I recommend gently rubbing a pencil eraser on the switch contact points. Alternatively, use a q-tip and alcohol to clean contact surfaces. A bit of cleaning to both switch parts may be enough to get it working again.

More extreme measures include rubbing pencil lead/graphite (it's conductive) on the underside of the push button. The trick is restore the electrical contact of the switch.

Edited by RodLightning

I cleaned the button and contact point on the board with a q-tip and alcohol. Also tried using a pencil eraser. This did not fix it. I noticed that the Reset button uses the same type of switch as the Select button. I tried using the Select button on the contact point for Reset. This worked fine. So, the issue must be with the Select contact point on the board... or something else.

I have been looking at the picture attached. Is this one like yours? If so, you might try shorting the two points R62 and the spot next to C42 with a bit of wire. See if you can trigger the select switch that way. Also check both sides of the board for cracks or any damaged or missing components.

post-15209-0-87230200-1457216388_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is what my board looks like. I don't see anything that is obviously missing or damaged. Are you saying that I take a piece of wire, hold one end on the point next to C42 and the other end on the left point next to R62? The first step will be to find a piece of wire...

Yep. Doing that will just let you see if a broken trace or contact on the board somewhere is keeping the switch circuit from closing, since you already figured out that the button surface still works.

If you do locate where the circuit is broken, it will likely require a soldering iron to repair or perhaps bypass any damage with a bit of wire.

I'm hopeful that someone who has actually tinkered with the Flashback 2 will see this thread and offer more information... anyone? :)