IGNORED

Bally Astrocade--Ticking time bomb or worthy acquisition?

Noah98

I was thinking about buying a Bally Astrocade, but I'm concerned about the investment. If I do acquire a working one, is it just a matter of time before it dies? I know all old consoles have a chance to fail, but many of them are either easy to repair or replace. Not so with the Astrocade.

Assuming I take care of it and don't play it on a rug, will it hold up? I get frustrated with my Atari 5200 controllers because they stop working even when I'm not using them. I can't imagine having an Astrocade randomly die!

Also, what is a fair price? I could get one with two working controllers and 6 games for $250. Is that about right?

So, I need advice and even personal accounts from those that collect Bally stuff. Worth it or pass? I basically only want the system for the following games: Galactic Invasion, Astro Battle, Clowns/Brickyard, The Incredible Wizard, Solar Conqueror, Muncher, and Cosmic Raiders (The first four are included with the system for $250).

You're already aware the system needs ventilation, so as long as you do that it'll be fine. You could always add a heat sink to the internal components if you're really worried about it but I think the overheating problem is greatly overstated online. It's worth getting if you can get a multicart for it, otherwise it's a pass.

I love the Astrocade and have owned multiple systems but for me it was more trouble than it was worth. I made sure my consoles were all properly cooled and took care of them like babies and they still died.

My last working Astrocade was sold years ago when I had crazy medical bills. My wife and I played it for hours before packing it to say goodbye, so I know it was working 100% when it was shipped. It was packed insanely well with multiple layers of packing material, yet it didn't survive shipping to the buyer and arrived no longer working.

It really depends on what you're looking to get out of it. If you have plenty of extra money to spend for parts, enjoy mainenance and repairs as much or more than playing the system, and you fully understand what you're getting into, then go for it.

I love the Astrocade and have owned multiple systems but for me it was more trouble than it was worth. I made sure my consoles were all properly cooled and took care of them like babies and they still died.

My last working Astrocade was sold years ago when I had crazy medical bills. My wife and I played it for hours before packing it to say goodbye, so I know it was working 100% when it was shipped. It was packed insanely well with multiple layers of packing material, yet it didn't survive shipping to the buyer and arrived no longer working.

It really depends on what you're looking to get out of it. If you have plenty of extra money to spend for parts, enjoy mainenance and repairs as much or more than playing the system, and you fully understand what you're getting into, then go for it.

That's what I thought. Very helpful. I think I'll pass. I take care of all of my consoles and I don't have money to burn!

Sega and Nintendo systems? Well putting aside the finicky 72pins ZIF socket and possibly the Mega CD. Pc engine seems to be heavily reliable, putting aside the CD side.

Well the Atari 2600 is heavily reliable for most models as well :D as well as the Videopac/Odyssey2.

I think those are far less troublesome than a Channel F, Astrocade, Colecovision and also the Intellivision (tho the intelli is the modt reliable of the less reliable ones :D )