Photo

Atari 2600 3rd party games: Coleco or Activision?

36 replies to this topic

Poll: Atari 2600 3rd party games: Coleco or Activision? (76 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Coleco (8 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

2. Activision (67 votes [88.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.16%

3. Neither, I hate all games from both (1 votes [1.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• 18,986 posts
  • So Below

Posted Tue Jun 9, 2015 10:01 AM

#2 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 18,986 posts
  • So Below

Posted Tue Jun 9, 2015 10:02 AM

I voted Coleco because they released Smurfs on the 2600 which was and still is one of my favorite video games for any system.

#3 BDW OFFLINE  

BDW

River Patroller

• 2,880 posts

Posted Tue Jun 9, 2015 1:48 PM

If you weighed decent games vs shite games pushed out by each company, Activision would win by a landslide.

#4 Nutsy Doodleheimer OFFLINE  

Nutsy Doodleheimer

Total Retard

• 5,619 posts

Posted Tue Jun 9, 2015 3:14 PM

I have to go with Activision. Many of my favorite 2600 games are developed by them more than Coleco. For Coleco games my favorites are. Yes, Smurfs is one of them and a fun one indeed, Venture (my favorite), Mr. Do, and Mouse Trap.

#5 jetset OFFLINE  

jetset

Quadrunner

• 11,727 posts

Posted Tue Jun 9, 2015 4:56 PM

I had to go to the rarity guide to see if there were any Coleco games at all that were decent. Just about all of them are trash.

#6 BillyHW OFFLINE  

BillyHW

River Patroller

• 3,549 posts

Posted Tue Jun 9, 2015 7:46 PM

Coleco games were great on ColecoVision.

Activision games were great on Atari.

#7 Nutsy Doodleheimer OFFLINE  

Nutsy Doodleheimer

Total Retard

• 5,619 posts

Posted Tue Jun 9, 2015 8:10 PM

Activision had some of the greatest commercials as well.

#8 Rhomaios OFFLINE  

Rhomaios

Stargunner

• 1,733 posts

Posted Tue Jun 9, 2015 8:13 PM

Activision, and there's no contest imo.

#9 mikey.shake OFFLINE  

mikey.shake

Moonsweeper

• 360 posts
  • Writer. Comedian. Freelance subversive.

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:21 AM

The bright, vivid graphics and engaging gameplay made me an early-Activision ('81-'83) fanboy at a young age.  Getting older and returning to the fold, they still stand up for me, and in many ways define what I like about 2600 games.  Kaboom!, Keystone Kapers, Megamania, Pitfall!, River Raid, etc.... these are the type of games that keep me coming back to the 2600, and I'm discovering new-to-me others, like Pressure Cooker and Beamrider, to love as well.

#10 Cafeman OFFLINE  

Cafeman

Quadrunner

• 6,933 posts

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:46 AM

Did coleco make river raid, kaboom, or pitfall? Didn't think so, so I vote Activision!!!

#11 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,668 posts

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:44 AM

What I like(d) about the Coleco games is that they're mostly arcade translations - my favorite type of gaming. Platformers and maze games in particular. That said, I spent untold amounts of time playing DK, Mousetrap, Venture and Carnival BITD. Smurf is and never was my cup of tea, but can appreciate Zaxxon today! Didn't have DK Jr. back then, but it, Mr. Do! and Frontline are a couple of "new to me since the 90's" favorites. 

When I sit and really analyze it, guess I would have to say that today, Activision ranks a little lower on my list of 3rd party companies. Have to give the edge to some of the others if I want to be honest with myself. Some of my very favorite games are from the likes of Mattel, CBS, Coleco, Parker Bros. and 20th Century Fox. 

Don't get me wrong, love and can appreciate many an Activision and Imagic game too of course! Just saying that I'm glad there were other companies and different talent supporting the VCS.   :love: 

#12 AtariKid81 OFFLINE  

AtariKid81

Star Raider

• 92 posts

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:51 PM

This poll should be in favor of Coleco. Coleco had a tremendous reputation for quality. Unfortunately, they cheaped out and only used 4K ROM's. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). It's difficult to reproduce arcade titles with only 4k to work with - hence, only 2 levels in Donkey Kong.
I wish Coleco would've done something crazy, like create their own expansion module for the VCS. Intellivision almost did this exact thing, but backed off after the failure of the Intellivoice for the Intellivision.

#13 hookem OFFLINE  

hookem

Moonsweeper

• 379 posts
  • Patron Saint of Quality Footwear

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:50 AM

Arcade ports were a novelty on the 2600, rarely replicating the true fun of the original game.  Original titles developed for the platform are the true gems that provided endless hours of fun.

Kaboom. Pitfall. Enduro. River Raid.

Easy decision = Activision

#14 AtariKid81 OFFLINE  

AtariKid81

Star Raider

• 92 posts

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:29 AM

You are 100% correct. Activision games are the true gems.
I poorly stated my point, which is; If any company could've pulled off near - accurate arcade ports, it was Coleco.
When I was a kid, and went shopping for an Atari VCS game, my first choice was always a port of my favorite arcade game. After being disappointed repeatedly, I stuck mostly with Activision - and was never disappointed!

#15 AtariKid81 OFFLINE  

AtariKid81

Star Raider

• 92 posts

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:06 AM

Anyway, the first sentence of my first post, should read, "this poll should be in favor of Coleco, but it's not even close!"

Forgive me for the string of posts I created - I am a night shift worker, currently running in 5 directions with little sleep!😴

Edited by AtariKid81, Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:07 AM.

#16 Nutsy Doodleheimer OFFLINE  

Nutsy Doodleheimer

Total Retard

• 5,619 posts

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:37 AM

Anyway, the first sentence of my first post, should read, "this poll should be in favor of Coleco, but it's not even close!"
Forgive me for the string of posts I created - I am a night shift worker, currently running in 5 directions with little sleep!

I know your feeling. I work 3rd shift also. I get about 4-6 hours of sleep a day. I'm an overnight freight manager.

#17 wongojack OFFLINE  

wongojack

River Patroller

• 3,311 posts

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:46 PM

This is no contest - Activision

I might have to think about it for like 60 seconds they were up against Imagic, Parker Brothers or Fox

#18 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 18,986 posts
  • So Below

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:51 PM

This poll should be in favor of Coleco. Coleco had a tremendous reputation for quality. Unfortunately, they cheaped out and only used 4K ROM's. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). It's difficult to reproduce arcade titles with only 4k to work with - hence, only 2 levels in Donkey Kong.
I wish Coleco would've done something crazy, like create their own expansion module for the VCS. Intellivision almost did this exact thing, but backed off after the failure of the Intellivoice for the Intellivision.

Coleco had a few larger games. Smurfs is 8k, Mr. Do is 8 or 16k so is Mr. Do's Castle. I don't remember if there are any more.

#19 Papa OFFLINE  

Papa

Dragonstomper

• 751 posts

Posted Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:04 PM

I agree that Smurfs is a good game, although I voted for Activision due to their plethora (thanks El Guapo) of quality games and their support for programmers.  The name itself is a form of activism from a time when programmers were being dropped out of the credits, so to speak. I read here (on one of those cute little factoids) that Colorado Leather grunted out turds for the 2600 to sway folks towards the up and coming Colecovision.  I actually liked DK for the VCS better than the arcade version as a kid because it was easier.  Today I use several factors in deciding and find the Activision lot more appealing.  Time Pilot and Zaxxon are probably my favorite from Coleco.  Frontline is pretty fun.  My wife loves Carnival.  My Activision list is pretty big.  I love H.E.R.O, Ghostbusters, Rampage, Double Dragon, Commando, Kung Fu Master, Pitfall II, Fishing Derby (the wife loves that one, too), and quite a few others. 

A hard decision.

#20 Nutsy Doodleheimer OFFLINE  

Nutsy Doodleheimer

Total Retard

• 5,619 posts

Posted Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:36 PM

I also like a lot of the Activision games are known for the sunset backgrounds. I also think it looks cool graphic wise.

#21 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 18,986 posts
  • So Below

Posted Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:35 PM

I agree that Smurfs is a good game, although I voted for Activision due to their plethora (thanks El Guapo) of quality games and their support for programmers.  The name itself is a form of activism from a time when programmers were being dropped out of the credits, so to speak. I read here (on one of those cute little factoids) that Colorado Leather grunted out turds for the 2600 to sway folks towards the up and coming Colecovision.  I actually liked DK for the VCS better than the arcade version as a kid because it was easier.  Today I use several factors in deciding and find the Activision lot more appealing.  Time Pilot and Zaxxon are probably my favorite from Coleco.  Frontline is pretty fun.  My wife loves Carnival.  My Activision list is pretty big.  I love H.E.R.O, Ghostbusters, Rampage, Double Dragon, Commando, Kung Fu Master, Pitfall II, Fishing Derby (the wife loves that one, too), and quite a few others. 

A hard decision.

Coleco making lesser quality games on purpose for the 2600 VS what they did for the colecovision is just a myth. Nobody who actually likes money would ever do such a thing.

My favorite from Activision is still Ice Hockey to this day. I look at it as the grandfather to Blades Of Steel. :)

#22 jasenr OFFLINE  

jasenr

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:20 PM

I don't understand how any Atarian could vote for Coleco over Activision!!! ;-) I'm not saying that Coleco didn't have some great games; but when compared to classics like Pitfall! and Chopper Command!, I can't see how Coleco would come out ahead of Activision. Maybe the people voting against Activision are mad about not be able to play Battlefield 2142! ;-D

#23 copper20 OFFLINE  

copper20

Moonsweeper

• 282 posts

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:08 PM

Activision all the way. Freeway, Pitfall, Keystone Kapers, they just kept putting good stuff out.

#24 AlwaysOnPlanetPatrol OFFLINE  

AlwaysOnPlanetPatrol

Star Raider

• 87 posts

Posted Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:42 PM

Same here; Activision all the way: Pitfall II, River Raid, H.E.R.O., Frostbite, Pressure Cooker and Decathlon are games that I play quite often.  I think from Coleco the only title I can say that I would play occasionally would be Venture.  Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, and even Time Pilot were such disappointments.

#25 Mangia-Boy OFFLINE  

Mangia-Boy

Moonsweeper

• 494 posts

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 AM

Colecovision games aren't so bad like many people think.

And Activision games aren't so good like many people think.

But in my eyes, too, Activision is superior.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users