IGNORED

B&I Amusements A.K.A. "Mikey's Funland"

Hey!! I decided to share a piece of my childhood with all of you. As any of you know or may not know. I'm from Seattle, WA. In Tacoma. Just 25-30 miles south of Seattle there was an awesome retro arcade that opened at the B&I ammusements back in 1978. Called Mikey's Funland. It was a huge retro arcade joint a lower level and an upper level. About 125 total arcade games, skeeball, billiards, foosball, a giant carousel, and mini golf. I first went there on my 6th birthday back in 1987. It was heaven. Went there nonstop draining my allowance money til we left in 1994. Sadly the arcade closed down in July 2013. Had such amazing memories there and wanted to post a few videos of what it looked like.

Yeah... it's sad when places like this close. I just posted a month or so ago, my reaction to Grand Prix Race-O-Rama getting closed down. The place had actually been renamed "Boomers" at some point in the mid 2000s... but the place had been there since the mid 70s. They had the longest go-cart track... I think it was over a mile in total length, and you would usually do three laps. They also had a quarter mile oval track, bumper boats, a large wooden roller coaster (which was awesome), a merry go-round, a Ferris wheel, and several other rides and events. They also had a huge laser tag room, a put-put golf course (which was awesome) and a very large arcade. At one point, they actually had two arcade rooms. Before they levelled the smaller (original) building, they would have all the vintage and classic arcades in the smaller building, and then have all the other arcade machines in the larger building. After Boomers bought them out, they went down hill. And finally, in February of 2015, they closed their doors. Everything is still there, but the Ferris wheel and merry go-round is gone, plus all the bumper boats, and carts... all gone. The building is empty too, so I don't know what happened to the arcade games.

I was really devastated. I mean, I only went there maybe 3-4 times a year, and it was mostly only because I have a daughter... but it was just one of those things in my life that I just assumed would always be there. So, when the place closed down... it was not just a disappointment, it was kind of a shock. I mean, don't get me wrong... 9/11 shook my core and foundation far more than the closing of Grand Prix Race-O-Rama... but you expect family members to die when they get older, as sad as it is... but Grand Prix Race-O-Rama was like an institution.

There are still quite a few down here in Florida... like Jaxsons ice cream parlor, or the art-deco hotels in South Beach, etc... but Grand Prix was just one of those things you figured would always be around.

• Like 1

Yeah... it's sad when places like this close. I just posted a month or so ago, my reaction to Grand Prix Race-O-Rama getting closed down. The place had actually been renamed "Boomers" at some point in the mid 2000s... but the place had been there since the mid 70s. They had the longest go-cart track... I think it was over a mile in total length, and you would usually do three laps. They also had a quarter mile oval track, bumper boats, a large wooden roller coaster (which was awesome), a merry go-round, a Ferris wheel, and several other rides and events. They also had a huge laser tag room, a put-put golf course (which was awesome) and a very large arcade. At one point, they actually had two arcade rooms. Before they levelled the smaller (original) building, they would have all the vintage and classic arcades in the smaller building, and then have all the other arcade machines in the larger building. After Boomers bought them out, they went down hill. And finally, in February of 2015, they closed their doors. Everything is still there, but the Ferris wheel and merry go-round is gone, plus all the bumper boats, and carts... all gone. The building is empty too, so I don't know what happened to the arcade games.

I was really devastated. I mean, I only went there maybe 3-4 times a year, and it was mostly only because I have a daughter... but it was just one of those things in my life that I just assumed would always be there. So, when the place closed down... it was not just a disappointment, it was kind of a shock. I mean, don't get me wrong... 9/11 shook my core and foundation far more than the closing of Grand Prix Race-O-Rama... but you expect family members to die when they get older, as sad as it is... but Grand Prix Race-O-Rama was like an institution.

There are still quite a few down here in Florida... like Jaxsons ice cream parlor, or the art-deco hotels in South Beach, etc... but Grand Prix was just one of those things you figured would always be around.

I remembered seeing your post about Grand Prix Race O Rama. That looked like and sounded like an awesome place. And they had it all too! Mikey's Funland is what got me into video gaming 28-29 years ago. There was almost every arcade cabinet at the time and everything you name it had it. I had just vast amounts of memories there. In 1990 me and a bunch of childhood friends beat the Ninja Turtles arcade game together, learned to play pool/billiards, played mini golf for the first time, numerous birthday celebrations. And when I found out it closed it just ripped my heart out and was one of the worst news I have ever heard. My childhood memories are still in my mind and live forever with me is the one good thing. But at the same time it's like a death to a close one. And it was 19 years after I last went there and never stepped foot in Seattle/Tacoma since at the time. I could just go back and walk around and relive the awesome memories of my youth and reexperience it all again. It was literally the best arcade place I have ever went to. I'm sorry about the Grand Prix Race O Rama shutting down. I bet your daughter had the time of her life there and a place she will never forget.

I remembered seeing your post about Grand Prix Race O Rama. That looked like and sounded like an awesome place. And they had it all too! Mikey's Funland is what got me into video gaming 28-29 years ago. There was almost every arcade cabinet at the time and everything you name it had it. I had just vast amounts of memories there. In 1990 me and a bunch of childhood friends beat the Ninja Turtles arcade game together, learned to play pool/billiards, played mini golf for the first time, numerous birthday celebrations. And when I found out it closed it just ripped my heart out and was one of the worst news I have ever heard. My childhood memories are still in my mind and live forever with me is the one good thing. But at the same time it's like a death to a close one. And it was 19 years after I last went there and never stepped foot in Seattle/Tacoma since at the time. I could just go back and walk around and relive the awesome memories of my youth and reexperience it all again. It was literally the best arcade place I have ever went to. I'm sorry about the Grand Prix Race O Rama shutting down. I bet your daughter had the time of her life there and a place she will never forget.

Yeah.. same feeling. I mean, I hate to be melodramatic... but yeah, it really did feel like there was a death in the family, which seems silly. Definitely because I know my daughter won't be able to really experience it anymore.

We still have the $wap $hop, which my daughter loves... so all is not lost. But that place sounds awesome. I totally remember the TMNT game too...

• 3 weeks later...