IGNORED

Huh, another broken difficulty switch

Despina83

Those are very easy to take apart and repair on Vader or Junior.

You just need to gently bend out the tabs that are holding the switches' metal body and take it apart for some cleaning, then tighten again with some pliers.

They're built so simply there's nothing to get broken really (unless a solder joint at their base cracks), they simply get clogged with dust.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to bump this because I have the exact same issue, but after popping everything apart, cleaning it, and refitting everything, the switch is STILL stuck in Expert mode. Is there anything else that would do this besides needing a cleaning, because I don't think I can get it much shinier on the inside...

I'm going to bump this because I have the exact same issue, but after popping everything apart, cleaning it, and refitting everything, the switch is STILL stuck in Expert mode. Is there anything else that would do this besides needing a cleaning, because I don't think I can get it much shinier on the inside...

Yes there sure is. A bad 6532 RIOT chip will cause this symptom. I've had to replace the chip on two of my 4-switch units, a Woody and a Vader. And on the Vader it was a real PITA because the chips on mine are soldered. I installed a socket when I replaced the chip in case someone has to fix it again down the line.

Is that a problem that could affect a 6-switch by chance? I forgot to mention that mine is a 6-switch system. It's only the first player difficulty that has the issue, the second player one works fine.

Yes. The Difficulty switch signals are read by the RIOT chip on all 2600 models.

I have the same problem with my Sears Telegame light sixer. It's the second player switch that is stuck in the expert mode. Are these easy to take apart and clean?

It's almost certainly not the switch; it's probably the 6532 RIOT chip.

​That said, the switches are small and a pain in the ass to take apart. You can squirt contact cleaner into the switch and work it back and forth vigorously a dozen times or so to do a decent job of cleaning it if that's what's actually wrong.

An easy way to test if the RIOT is causing this is to bridge the connections under the switch with a screwdriver and see if the setting changes. I use Space Invaders on 2-player co-op mode for this. If the settings do change, then you have either a dead switch or broken connection.