IGNORED

Atari Jaguar vs 3do

JazGaming

Unfortunately, there were a lot of false rumors. I would suspect this is one of them because I would think EA would have little incentive to create a Jaguar CD game considering how abysmally the console sold to that point (<100,000 units, and then factor in an add-on with a rounding error for an install base). They probably wouldn't have even supported the 3DO like they did if they weren't investors, and even then they didn't release several of the games promised early on.

A likely scenario would be for EA to license the game to Atari, who in turn would farm out the Jaguar port to another third-party developer. Atari takes all of the financial risk and manages the project themselves. EA would have to do absolutely nothing, other than send Atari some raw resources (graphic and sound data, source code from the "original" version), and sign off on final approval when the game goes gold. Maybe they'll check in on the occasional milestone. Apart from that, their hands are off--they basically sit back and wait for their royalty checks to roll in.

It wouldn't be the first time this happened on the Jaguar. Many big-name "third-party" games were licensed by and published by Atari, and frequently had little or no involvement from the original publisher and developer. Some examples include Raiden, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, Myst, and NBA Jam Tournament Edition.

I'd just like to point out that the deal with Accolade as the most prominent example of what Agent X is suggesting. IIRC, it was a 5 title deal that amounted to a significant licensing expenditure for Atari Corp. It's one thing to payout for the Alien vs. Predator license, and it's another to payout for Accolade IP. I personally don't believe Accolade IP was very strong in the early 90s - especially when you think that Bubsy and Earthworm Jim were released within a year of one another.

It cannot be disregarded that Atari Corp. had a longstanding relationship with Accolade. Such a relationship may have played a role in this decision.

Regarding EA - we're all familiar with those rumors. It would have been an unlikely coup, but not an entirely unreasonable possibility. While I agree with Bill that EA doesn't seem to have the incentive, I think the deal with Midway properties (namely NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat III) demonstrated that Atari Corp. was able to make things happen.

It's worth reinforcing that the NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat deals came pretty late in the Jaguar's life, when the proverbial 'writing on the wall' should have been clear.

I'd just like to point out that the deal with Accolade as the most prominent example of what Agent X is suggesting. IIRC, it was a 5 title deal that amounted to a significant licensing expenditure for Atari Corp. It's one thing to payout for the Alien vs. Predator license, and it's another to payout for Accolade IP. I personally don't believe Accolade IP was very strong in the early 90s - especially when you think that Bubsy and Earthworm Jim were released within a year of one another.

It cannot be disregarded that Atari Corp. had a longstanding relationship with Accolade. Such a relationship may have played a role in this decision.

Regarding EA - we're all familiar with those rumors. It would have been an unlikely coup, but not an entirely unreasonable possibility. While I agree with Bill that EA doesn't seem to have the incentive, I think the deal with Midway properties (namely NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat III) demonstrated that Atari Corp. was able to make things happen.

It's worth reinforcing that the NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat deals came pretty late in the Jaguar's life, when the proverbial 'writing on the wall' should have been clear.

Mortal Kombat isn't on Jaguar. Is it?

Accolade was a supporter prior to launch, however (I remember Hardball! being one of the promised games). I could be misremembering, but I don't recall EA on the pre-launch list. I'd find it MUCH harder to believe that EA would suddenly become interested well after it was clear the Jaguar was an epic failure and to support an add-on that would be supremely lucky to gain even 25% of that already incredibly small user base. I don't believe we have any evidence of Atari paying EA or contracting/sub-contracting with EA (and Atari didn't exactly have much money at that point), so it just doesn't add up to me.

You'll note in these (blissfully hyperbole-filled) brochures/catalogs no mention of EA: http://www.atarimania.com/list_catalogs_atari-jaguar-___J.html . I haven't had any luck tracking down any other brochures/catalogs like the one I remember getting in Electronics Boutique prior to the Jaguar's launch (when corporate was trying to decide whether or not to carry the Jaguar at all via a manager survey (the CD32 was also part of that survey, and a few others I don't recall)), but I think even if these aren't all that was produced, they still prove a pretty good point.

With all of the relationships Atari indicated in these catalogs and with so few following through, I wouldn't be surprised if they never got around to courting EA. They would have had their hands full (again, being so resource-constrained) to try and get even a small percentage of those listed games to be produced.

EDIT: AtariAge has some others, but still not quite what I think I remember: https://atariage.com/system_catalogs.php?SystemID=JAGUAR

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1

Mortal Kombat isn't on Jaguar. Is it?

See below.

Accolade was a supporter prior to launch, however (I remember Hardball! being one of the promised games). I could be misremembering, but I don't recall EA on the pre-launch list. I'd find it MUCH harder to believe that EA would suddenly become interested well after it was clear the Jaguar was an epic failure and to support an add-on that would be supremely lucky to gain even 25% of that already incredibly small user base. I don't believe we have any evidence of Atari paying EA or contracting/sub-contracting with EA (and Atari didn't exactly have much money at that point), so it just doesn't add up to me.

Right. That's why I mentioned the Midway deal, which happened in 1995, after it was clear the Jaguar was not moving many units.

I originally thought it may have been a move made by Ted Hoff. However, this press release from 1995 suggests that it was an extension of an earlier relationship between the two companies:

'MORTAL KOMBAT III' WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THE ATARI JAGUAR

SUNNYVALE, Calif. — March 13, 1995 — Atari Corp. and Williams Entertainment Inc. are pleased to announce that Atari will be publishing "Mortal Kombat III" for the Atari Jaguar 64-bit multimedia system. "Mortal Kombat" is one of the most frequently requested video game titles from Jaguar enthusiasts.

"Letters have been pouring in daily telling us that gamers want 'Mortal Kombat' for the Atari Jaguar," indicated Sam Tramiel, president of Atari Corp. "We at Atari are dedicated to the mission of giving the enthusiastic Jaguar game players exactly what they are looking for and 'Mortal Kombat III' will give them the latest version of the 'Mortal Kombat' series of arcade hits."

"Mortal Kombat III" is the third in a series of outstanding coin-op games incorporating true-to-life graphic images into a challenging fighting experience. Williams Entertainment Inc. is the home video subsidiary of WMS Industries Inc., the company that created "Mortal Kombat" and "NBA Jam" for the arcades. "Mortal Kombat III" for the Atari Jaguar will feature true-color graphics and all the sounds and action of the arcade version of "Mortal Kombat III." Planned release will be within the second quarter of 1996.

Williams Entertainment already has other popular video game titles scheduled for release on the Jaguar platform. "Troy Aikman Football" is currently available to be followed up shortly by "Double Dragon V." Electronic Gaming Monthly says of "Troy Aikman Football," "... the Jaguar version is the best yet." Saturday morning cartoon fans will recognize the fighting lineup in "Double Dragon V" with eye-popping animated action.

Other software hits being developed in partnership between Williams Entertainment and Atari Corp. include new adaptations of classic games such as "Joust" and "Defender." "Defender 2000" is being developed with three distinct play modes (the classic favorite, "Defender Plus," and "Defender 2000") for the Jaguar by Jeff Minter of "Tempest 2000" fame. According to Bill Rehbock Atari's VP of Software Business Development, "'Dactyl Joust' will bring the classic game alive as a first person perspective, fully texture-mapped Joust in a realistic, three dimensional environment." Atari will market these games for the 64-bit Jaguar system while Williams Entertainment will license and market them for high performance PCs.

These distinct agreements between Atari Corp. and Williams Entertainment are indicative of the strong relationship these two companies have established. Williams Entertainment is one of the first third-party licensees to begin working with Atari on the Jaguar 64-bit platform and remains a strong supporter of the system with top software titles.

This would seemingly reinforce your conclusion, Bill. But I'd like to point out that this isn't WMS doubling down or jumping on a sinking ship. These are simply IP licenses. Sam Tramiel had stated publicly that he was looking to spend the $90 million Atari Corp. had received from the 1994 Sega settlement. I still don't think it's out of the question that he would be looking to spend it on IP like Mortal Kombat III (which is proven here) as well as Need for Speed.

IIRC, the Sega deal also included a 5 title/year cross-license between Atari & Sega. Sam Tramiel was definitely swinging for the fences into 1995.

Also, this is in no way definitive proof, but here is one source of the Electronic Arts rumor:

http://www.atariage.com/Jaguar/faq/ (Last update: 8/3/2003)

Announced Jaguar CD-ROM games:
   Title              Players  Publisher      Developer      Type
   Need For Speed, The   1       ?            Elec. Arts     Driving

I feel like I have seen The Need for Speed on printed Atari Corp. Jaguar brochures, but I'm not likely to take the time to dig it out. So take it for what it's worth. Not proof or even evidence, but simply a source of the rumor.

This would seemingly reinforce your conclusion, Bill. But I'd like to point out that this isn't WMS doubling down or jumping on a sinking ship. These are simply IP licenses. Sam Tramiel had stated publicly that he was looking to spend the $90 million Atari Corp. had received from the 1994 Sega settlement. I still don't think it's out of the question that he would be looking to spend it on IP like Mortal Kombat III (which is proven here) as well as Need for Speed.

IIRC, the Sega deal also included a 5 title/year cross-license between Atari & Sega. Sam Tramiel was definitely swinging for the fences into 1995.

That all makes sense. However, I'm wondering aloud if Need for Speed and Road Rash would have been "swinging for the fences" at that point? Wouldn't it have made more sense to go after some of EA's more proven high profile titles, like Madden? It would seem odd for the first EA collaborations to be on one new IP and an IP with proven appeal, yet would still be a third motorcycle-style game on the platform. Of course there were two other football games, so perhaps the intention was not to cut into those sales and cheese off what third party supporters they did have? Again, just thinking out loud here (and I do realize there were also already plenty of racing titles on the platform--it's actually interesting in retrospect what genre titles the Jaguar was overly heavy on and what genre titles it totally missed out on).

Also, this is in no way definitive proof, but here is one source of the Electronic Arts rumor:

http://www.atariage.com/Jaguar/faq/ (Last update: 8/3/2003)

I feel like I have seen The Need for Speed on printed Atari Corp. Jaguar brochures, but I'm not likely to take the time to dig it out. So take it for what it's worth. Not proof or even evidence, but simply a source of the rumor.

Yeah, there must be some genesis for that rumor, be it an off-hand remark in a magazine or some actual listing somewhere on official documents. That genesis I think will definitely determine if it was just wishful thinking (like the Tomb Raider rumors) or an actual fruitful discussion with some actual movement had taken place.

Yeah, there must be some genesis for that rumor, be it an off-hand remark in a magazine or some actual listing somewhere on official documents. That genesis I think will definitely determine if it was just wishful thinking (like the Tomb Raider rumors) or an actual fruitful discussion with some actual movement had taken place.

I thought I'd do a little sleuthing. I couldn't find a copy of the actual mag, but it seems an issue of UK mag GamesMaster wrote of EA wanting to bring over several titles. I'm guessing it's issue #25.

Article #38662 (39455 is last):From: msh@mserv1.dl.ac.uk (M.S. Smith)>Newsgroups: rec.games.video.atariSubject: EA and the Jaguar!Reply-To: msh@mserv1.dl.ac.ukDate: Wed Feb 22 09:37:07 1995I looked at the latest Gamesmaster magazine yesterday and and would like toknow if anyone can confirm the news on the Jaguar.First off they have said the Jaguar is to get Mortal Kombat II (anothermagazinesaid the opposite).Secondly they said that Electronic Arts were to finally make games for theJaguar CD and to expect several hits from the 3D0.  Games listed as forthcomingincluded:                John Madden's Football                FIFA Soccer                Wing Commander III                Need for SpeedIf anyone can shed any light on this, or confirm these details I'm sure thiswould make great news for Jaguar CD owners.  Here's hoping it's correct.

Since my jaguar collection havoc has reached its end, only "missing" a few common items, I brought my senses togheter and bout a 3DO FZ-10 NIB from US, and together with a transformation I got it running. Included was Gex and Total eclipe, and next to that I bought Quarantine, Space hulk, Battlesports, Killing time, Immerchenary, Virtuoso, BC racers, Escape from monster manor, Stellar 7, Horde, Primal rage... and will pick up Road rash + Gridders soon.

Games costed me 20 to 40 USD each, and "used" to Jaguar that's really cheap, and easy to come by.

Am really happy about it, and recommend all to do the same.

• Like 1

I thought I'd do a little sleuthing. I couldn't find a copy of the actual mag, but it seems an issue of UK mag GamesMaster wrote of EA wanting to bring over several titles. I'm guessing it's issue #25.

(Great job on finding that.) I was thinking it might be issue #27 or 28 since magazines were usually a month or two or three ahead of when they hit newsstands. So if the poster posted the end of February, that's likely the March or April issue, which is 27 or 28: http://magazinesfromthepast.wikia.com/wiki/GamesMaster_Issue_222

I assume these magazines haven't been scanned anywhere?

In any case, as was indicated in this thread by Lost Dragon, I wouldn't have put it past them to make up the rumor, or at least not verify the tip: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236156-the-jaguar-version-of-rayman-conspiracy/?p=3263162

If indeed EA was going to have some involvement, I would have thought some more evidence would have popped up by now than a blurb in a random British magazine.

My memory is a bit hazy after 20 years, but I think the announcement of the EA games for Jaguar had been mentioned in Atari Explorer Online.

Yeah, Atari sometimes got in way over their head with their third-party licensing agreements. Of the five games that were supposed to come out of the Accolade partnership, only one (Bubsy in: Fractured Furry Tales) was ever completed and released during Atari's tenure. The other four--all of which were sports games, a genre that the Jaguar was deficient in--never made it to completion, although a couple got to an advanced level of development.

Atari also struck a three-game deal with Acclaim, and a three-games deal with Williams/Midway. Each of these also resulted in only one released game during the Jaguar's active span on the market (NBA Jam Tournament Edition and Defender 2000, respectively).

Oddly enough, a nearly completed Jaguar conversion of Midway's Total Carnage materialized years later. This game was not promoted as part of the Midway deal. Heck, it wasn't promoted period. It never appeared on any "coming soon" lists "back in the day", and its discovery was a complete surprise to almost everyone in the Jaguar community.

As far as EA not having the "incentive" to develop for the Jaguar...they probably weren't inclined to invest considerable amounts of their own resources, but probably would not have had any qualms about licensing their games out to Atari or any other party that wanted to take the brunt of the risk themselves. Perhaps we're forgetting that two of EA's games actually did appear on the Jaguar, courtesy of Ocean (Syndicate and Theme Park).

There's almost no system in the last three decades that hasn't had an EA game come out in one form or another. EA games have found their way onto such staggeringly popular and ubiquitous systems such as the Nokia N-Gage, Tapwave Zodiac, and Tiger Telematics Gizmondo. Almost anything with a microprocessor and a screen can play an EA game. With that in mind, I don't believe it's out of the realm of possibility that Atari and EA might have struck some sort of agreement.

• Like 1

(Great job on finding that.) I was thinking it might be issue #27 or 28 since magazines were usually a month or two or three ahead of when they hit newsstands. So if the poster posted the end of February, that's likely the March or April issue, which is 27 or 28: http://magazinesfromthepast.wikia.com/wiki/GamesMaster_Issue_222

I assume these magazines haven't been scanned anywhere?

(Thank you) - You're right: GamesMaster #27, pp 8.

I can't find a complete scan of #27, but there was a Usenet conversation published by an online mag at the time that specifies which issue and makes direct quotes. I didn't want to copy the whole exchange over here, so I'm sticking to just the highlights. Here's apparently what the article said:

"3DO GAMES FOR THE JAGUAR" - "ATARI and ELECTRONIC ARTS (stalwart

supporters of, and main driving force behind, 3DO software) are set to

bring some absolute classics to the Jaguar when the new CD add on is

launched.

The incredible PC/3DO smash WING COMMANDER 3 is the pick of the pile and

other titles include some of the best games on 3DO. THE NEED FOR SPEED

(the racing game which has taken the office by storm) will be one of the

first to appear alongside FIFA SOCCER and JOHN MADDEN FOOTBALL.

This is a real coup for ATARI as ELECTRONIC ARTS have been long time

supporters of the 3DO and nothing else in the super-console stakes."

It sounds like people didn't believe the person who posted that, so he emailed the GM editor. Here's the editor's reply:

Reply to: RE>Could you please send me a short message?

The story, that EA will be developing games for the Jag CD came direct

from Atari themselves. So yes I back it 100%. Thanks for showing an

interest.

It sounds like people didn't believe the person who posted that, so he emailed the GM editor. Here's the editor's reply:

----

Reply to: RE>Could you please send me a short message?

The story, that EA will be developing games for the Jag CD came direct

from Atari themselves. So yes I back it 100%. Thanks for showing an

interest.

So apparently it came from Atari themselves according to the magazine writer. So is that Atari UK? Atari US? If it came from Atari themselves, was it a tipster who wanted to remain anonymous? If it was Atari, why didn't Atari trumpet that fact like they trumpeted all of the other deals in official marketing materials (even the ones that weren't even fruitfully underway)? Etc. Lots of questions with I suspect few evidence-based answers.

(And again, I'm just asking questions here, curious about the truth. I absolutely acknowledge that it's possible some type of discussion had taken place. It would have been logical for Atari to reach out to every notable third party publisher possible, and even then, EA was a big deal.)

So apparently it came from Atari themselves according to the magazine writer.

For whatever it's worth: In looking at the AtariArchive link again, it seems it was Simon Kirrane who was written to and wrote back.

Possibly this guy, though the "GamesMaster" years are suspiciously blank:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/simonkirrane

https://twitter.com/simonkirrane

as i have those 3do games.. i can say i really happy they didnt make it to jag..

much more sad im about that games like BIWN, PhaseZero, Soulstar didnt make it in public releases.. cause they was much more ambitioned than 3do productions of its time

NfS is a little overrated .. nice presentation.. nice GFXartwork.. nice cops.. but it is on rails and a boring autobahn racer.. also it aged bad :-(

as i have those 3do games.. i can say i really happy they didnt make it to jag..

I vehemently disagree with this statement...and I say this as someone who was heavily into the Jaguar at that time, and lived through the fierce Jaguar-3DO rivalry that was raging during that period.

At the time Need for Speed came out for 3DO, the Jaguar had just over 10 games on store shelves...after an entire year on the market. 3DO, by comparison, had at least 4 or 5 times as many software titles. Even if a third of those were educational or other "non-game" software products, the system still had more that double, possibly triple the number of pure games. It wasn't the best situation, but at least they finally developed a steady stream of game releases by that time. Jaguar fans still weren't certain how many weeks (or months) they'd have to wait before Atari deemed them worthy of having one more game reach the shelf. Even the most staunch Atari enthusiast must have looked at the 3DO section in the store and felt a tinge of envy at the rate that system's library was growing.

So yeah, NFS came out for 3DO, and it's a legitimately great game. But we all figured true 64-bit racing games would surely put that ghetto 32-bit junk to shame. Thankfully, right about the same time that NFS hit the 3DO, Atari righteously answered starving Jaguar gamers' pleas for hot 64-bit automotive action, and graced us with not one, but two games in the genre...Checkered Flag and Club Drive.

Let me assure you, this was easily one of the most embarrassing moments in Jaguar history. You cannot imagine the comparisons that were going back and forth between the two systems. NFS was one of 3DO's finest games, but to have Atari respond with two of the system's worst games in the same genre was an atrocity. 3DO put their best foot forward, and Atari (when they needed it most) instead put their worst foot forward.

Any Jaguar fan at that time would have happily sacrificed both Checkered Flag and Club Drive for just one game of the caliber of Need for Speed or Road Rash, whether they were willing to admit it publicly or not. Meanwhile, for people shopping for a new video game system, it didn't matter if the Jaguar technically "could" do a game like that...the only thing that mattered was that it wasn't doing games like that.

The Jaguar did eventually get some good racers later on, but they never had a solid "realistic" driving game like NFS. Even if NFS came out for Jaguar a year or two later, I think many Jaguar owners would have appreciated it. The same applies to the other EA games in that list (FIFA Soccer, John Madden Football, and Wing Commander III). Each of those games would have been great to have on the Jaguar at that time.

much more sad im about that games like BIWN, PhaseZero, Soulstar didnt make it in public releases.. cause they was much more ambitioned than 3do productions of its time

While they were ambitious games (and there were others too), we cannot really count them because they were never completed. It's possible that 3DO may have had similarly ambitious games in development, which also ended up getting cancelled when the system was discontinued.

Edited by Agent X
  • Like 6

Meanwhile, for people shopping for a new video game system, it didn't matter if the Jaguar technically "could" do a game like that...the only thing that mattered was that it wasn't doing games like that.

Truth.

Actually, this can be applied to a lot of the arguments we have here where people claim "the Jaguar could've done X, Y and Z" but as many of us have said, it didn't. That is truly what matters.

• Like 5

Darryl Still (Atari UK P.R Manager) cleared up the FIFA claim many a month ago:

'Al Bodin and I ended up porting Fever Pitch because we just could not get EA to buy in and do FIFA for it.'

And:

'Fever Pitch was a desperate response to losing FIFA and needing a football title. It didn’t really showcase much at all to be honest, but we did it in 6 weeks and it was quite playable is a short term fun kind of way…at the time!'

As for Gamesmaster and Atari claims, this was the same magazine that claimed Cal Games 2 was headed to the Lynx, something an Ex-Epyx source told me was very unlikely given at that point in time Epyx hated Atari....

And, regarding the Freelancer Jag CD screens, Andrew Seed (Imagitec) has been quoted as saying they were from a PC running Argonaut's BRender software (i've emailed him for confirmation) and if so, wether GMM knew they were mock-up's and still decided to run with them, a la Edge and those Tomb Raider screens..is a question someone else can answer.
  • Like 2

While they were ambitious games (and there were others too), we cannot really count them because they were never completed. It's possible that 3DO may have had similarly ambitious games in development, which also ended up getting cancelled when the system was discontinued.

1. We can count them because they exist.. plus we cannot count them as finished and released game

2. no its not possible that the 3do may had "similary ambitionous games" in development because they do not exist like those i talkd about.. If we would.. we could also talk about mario64 or finalfantasy on the jag.. they also "possible" exist

So yeah, NFS came out for 3DO, and it's a legitimately great game. But we all figured true 64-bit racing games would surely put that ghetto 32-bit junk to shame. Thankfully, right about the same time that NFS hit the 3DO, Atari righteously answered starving Jaguar gamers' pleas for hot 64-bit automotive action, and graced us with not one, but two games in the genre...Checkered Flag and Club Drive.

yes i like it also more than cf and cd.. especially controlls and FPS .. but what i absolutly dislike is the fact its on rails .. but some persons like to have the choice of driving straingth forward or.. yes forward

Any Jaguar fan at that time would have happily sacrificed both Checkered Flag and Club Drive for just one game of the caliber of Need for Speed or Road Rash, whether they were willing to admit it publicly or not. Meanwhile, for people shopping for a new video game system, it didn't matter if the Jaguar technically "could" do a game like that...the only thing that mattered was that it wasn't doing games like that.

me.. with my opinion .. and also you.. with your opinion is not "any Jaguar fan" so i cannot talk for them

Edited by Otto1980