IGNORED

Atari Jaguar vs 3do

JazGaming

EA was in bed with 3D0 and it would of took Atari coming out of gate and crushing 3D0 for them to develop games for Atari.

If EA did start making Gamez I would be surprised if they weren't just sega ports claiming that jaguar just wasn't the next Gen like 3d0

EA was an investor in 3DO, but they were still very much multi-platform. The only reason they wouldn't have directly supported Jaguar is because of the abysmal user base.

As for your second sentence, conspiracy stuff like that is ridiculous because no company is in the business of making poor quality stuff on purpose to make something else look better (much like the ridiculous notion that Coleco made their ports to Atari 2600 and Intellivision look bad to make the ColecoVision look better; the reality was there were many reasons why some ports were poor and some were fantastic). The Jaguar needed no extra help in the bad-games-that-make-it-look-not-next-gen department. It was doing just fine with that already.

• Like 1

Darryl Still (Atari UK P.R Manager) cleared up the FIFA claim many a month ago:
'Al Bodin and I ended up porting Fever Pitch because we just could not get EA to buy in and do FIFA for it.'
And:
'Fever Pitch was a desperate response to losing FIFA and needing a football title. It didn’t really showcase much at all to be honest, but we did it in 6 weeks and it was quite playable is a short term fun kind of way…at the time!'

That's really interesting, although I wonder what they mean by "we just could not get EA to buy in." From the sounds of it, it seems more like they tried to pitch the Jaguar to them as a potential platform to develop on, rather than trying to contract development. If they tried to finance the port, why did EA decline (I can think of a lot of reason, but would just be interesting to know for sure).

Funny that they decided they "needed" a soccer game on the system, probably for the European market. It fits the bill for a soccer game but honestly there is no comparison between FIFA and Fever Pitcht from a technical perspective which is what was supposed to be THE selling point of the Jaguar (obviously they recognize that).

• Like 1

Ok, so i emailed Darryl Still this morning, basically asked him IF (as P.R Manager) he/Atari UK had been the 'source' of GamesMaster Magazines EA/3DO games coming to Jaguar claim (and i listed NFS, Road Rash, WC3 etc) and he's kindly replied:

"Hi Ross,
'No, this is all completely new to me. We spoke to EA in depth about doing FIFA, but they declined to support the Jaguar, so I doubt that these stories have any substance.
D"
So that pretty much has cleared up this aspect.
As i've found out over the past few months, what the UK Press printed about Jaguar/Lynx/7800/A8 etc etc more often than not, had little to no substance.
  • Like 6

Funny that they decided they "needed" a soccer game on the system, probably for the European market. It fits the bill for a soccer game but honestly there is no comparison between FIFA and Fever Pitcht from a technical perspective which is what was supposed to be THE selling point of the Jaguar (obviously they recognize that).

And it goes without saying that FIFA was a technical marvel at the time on the 3DO and very well regarded. It would have been much appreciated on the Jaguar side. There was absolutely no comparison between 3DO FIFA and the two soccer titles the Jaguar got. From the 3DO's standpoint, it was a shame it never got the promised NHL game from EA (that and the Star Trek The Next Generation game were two of the drool-worthy titles promised for the platform that were never delivered). With EA NHL, the 3DO would have been covered quite well for all major sports save for baseball (which Jaguar never got either, bizarrely, although the 3DO did have baseball releases in Japan that were never localized here).

That's really interesting, although I wonder what they mean by "we just could not get EA to buy in." From the sounds of it, it seems more like they tried to pitch the Jaguar to them as a potential platform to develop on, rather than trying to contract development. If they tried to finance the port, why did EA decline (I can think of a lot of reason, but would just be interesting to know for sure).

After seeing what Lost Dragon wrote, I guess that whatever Atari was trying to pull off with EA and FIFA fell through. They must have felt it would be beneficial to have another soccer game in the lineup. They clearly figured that Fever Pitch could be negotiated and ported over quickly and easily, so that was their solution.

I've never played either Fever Pitch or Sensible Soccer on the Jaguar, so I honestly cannot comment on their quality. However, as you (and also Bill in his post above) pointed out, there's no clearly no comparison at all to FIFA from a pure technical perspective.

It's kind of like the NFS/RR vs. Checkered Flag/Club Drive argument again. Both of the Jag soccer games might have been superb from a gameplay perspective, but again, someone browsing the racks in the stores and seeing the screen shots would surely be scratching their head at why 64-bit Jaguar games can't hold a candle graphically to 32-bit 3DO games.

There's no problem with these (multiplatform) soccer games existing on the Jaguar format. The problem is that there wasn't another showpiece game on the shelf next to it. If there had existed a third soccer game that rivaled 3DO's FIFA game graphically, then the Jaguar wouldn't have been the subject of so many jeers and sneers.

While Atari might have figured a quick port of Fever Pitch might have filled in a gap, it would have been a good idea for Atari to commission development of their own exclusive first-party soccer game with the graphical chops to stand toe-to-toe with FIFA. They really needed to plan for this back in 1993, not wait until mid 1995 (several months after FIFA on 3DO came out) to react and respond. With that in mind, there are a few reasons why this just wasn't likely to happen:

1. Atari couldn't line up the talent to pull this off in a timely manner and reasonable budget.

2. Atari already knew the Jaguar's future was limited, and felt it wasn't worth the effort to invest any time and money into such a project on the current hardware. They figured Fever Pitch was sufficient to hold Jag owners over. They could wait until Jaguar II would be out, and then a real showstopper could be done on that hardware at that time.

I think that was a big problem with Atari. They really dragged their feet at software development during the first year...then when the competition (who also had their own rocky start) finally started getting their act together, Atari was just too slow to respond, and took a largely reactive instead of a proactive approach. On that note, it's no surprise that many of the Jaguar finest games (e.g. Tempest 2000, Alien vs. Predator, Iron Soldier) were created proactively, and not as some direct response to what the competition was doing.

• Like 1

Had an updated email from Darryl Still, he meant to say:

"Hi Ross,

'No, this is not all completely new to me. We spoke to EA in depth about doing FIFA, but they declined to support the Jaguar, so I doubt that these stories have any substance.

D"

He forgot the not, so basically whilst himself has read the claims over the years, there really was little/no substance to them.

We did'nt want folks thinking this was the 1st Darryl had heard of it :-).

• Like 1

After seeing what Lost Dragon wrote, I guess that whatever Atari was trying to pull off with EA and FIFA fell through. They must have felt it would be beneficial to have another soccer game in the lineup. They clearly figured that Fever Pitch could be negotiated and ported over quickly and easily, so that was their solution.

I've never played either Fever Pitch or Sensible Soccer on the Jaguar, so I honestly cannot comment on their quality. However, as you (and also Bill in his post above) pointed out, there's no clearly no comparison at all to FIFA from a pure technical perspective.

It's kind of like the NFS/RR vs. Checkered Flag/Club Drive argument again. Both of the Jag soccer games might have been superb from a gameplay perspective, but again, someone browsing the racks in the stores and seeing the screen shots would surely be scratching their head at why 64-bit Jaguar games can't hold a candle graphically to 32-bit 3DO games.

There's no problem with these (multiplatform) soccer games existing on the Jaguar format. The problem is that there wasn't another showpiece game on the shelf next to it. If there had existed a third soccer game that rivaled 3DO's FIFA game graphically, then the Jaguar wouldn't have been the subject of so many jeers and sneers.

While Atari might have figured a quick port of Fever Pitch might have filled in a gap, it would have been a good idea for Atari to commission development of their own exclusive first-party soccer game with the graphical chops to stand toe-to-toe with FIFA. They really needed to plan for this back in 1993, not wait until mid 1995 (several months after FIFA on 3DO came out) to react and respond. With that in mind, there are a few reasons why this just wasn't likely to happen:

1. Atari couldn't line up the talent to pull this off in a timely manner and reasonable budget.

2. Atari already knew the Jaguar's future was limited, and felt it wasn't worth the effort to invest any time and money into such a project on the current hardware. They figured Fever Pitch was sufficient to hold Jag owners over. They could wait until Jaguar II would be out, and then a real showstopper could be done on that hardware at that time.

I think that was a big problem with Atari. They really dragged their feet at software development during the first year...then when the competition (who also had their own rocky start) finally started getting their act together, Atari was just too slow to respond, and took a largely reactive instead of a proactive approach. On that note, it's no surprise that many of the Jaguar finest games (e.g. Tempest 2000, Alien vs. Predator, Iron Soldier) were created proactively, and not as some direct response to what the competition was doing.

Sensible Soccer is excellent, considering the original SWOS is in Amiga 1200 AGA set. The Jag version is easily just as good!

Sensible Soccer is excellent, considering the original SWOS is in Amiga 1200 AGA set. The Jag version is easily just as good!

Playability is always important, but, to be fair, Sensible Soccer does not look impressive. While it plays smoother than the Genesis and SNES versions, even on the Amiga original it does little to distinguish itself visually. It's like FIFA on the 3DO is from a completely different generation, when the reality is they were more or less contemporaries. That was the main point.

Playability is always important, but, to be fair, Sensible Soccer does not look impressive. While it plays smoother than the Genesis and SNES versions, even on the Amiga original it does little to distinguish itself visually. It's like FIFA on the 3DO is from a completely different generation, when the reality is they were more or less contemporaries. That was the main point.

Oh absolutely, there is a huge difference graphically... But I think the Jag CD was capable of doing something perhaps not as good, but not a million miles away, from 3D0 FIFA... I would have been nice to see what developers who weren't being lazy and using the 68000 as a means of getting a quick port out could have done with a football game... There are only two, this and fever pitch soccer, right?

@LianneJaguar64

So you are 18 and even know, it seems, something of the Amiga! I'm really impressed. I would love to here your story of how you have gotten into these ancient computers and consoles...do you have a blog here at AA yet? maybe with your story? Did you have access to these vintage machines growing up from one of your elders or something like that?

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Ummm... Well my dad gave me an A1200 when I was 8... Played Sensi to death, of course, as well as Alien Breed and Civilisation... And I got given a PS1 when I was 11, but that's about it... Everything else is just stuff I've had an interesting in getting and decided to buy and try it out... So now I have 13 consoles and plans to get more...

Edited by LianneJaguar64
  • Like 1

cool. Most young adults just sneer at vintage stuff. Old and new is all good to me, though I am old compared to you...

New stuff is pretty good, although I don't play online too much away from Nintendo because everyone is often really sexist on CoD... Just because I happened to be good at it... A good game is a good game... As for age, well, it's probably the same for everyone else here, so I wouldn't worry 'D

• Like 1

Sensible Soccer on Jaguar, excellent playability, just like the Amiga version. I played all Sensible Soccer versions, I even own the original Microprose Soccer on C64 (yes the game was first a Microprose game made by Sensible Software ), but the Jaguar version is easy up there with the Amiga and ST versions concerning playability.

Sensible Soccer on Jaguar, excellent playability, just like the Amiga version. I played all Sensible Soccer versions, I even own the original Microprose Soccer on C64 (yes the game was first a Microprose game made by Sensible Software ), but the Jaguar version is easy up there with the Amiga and ST versions concerning playability.

I think my only complaint is that it wasn't SWOS, THAT was the ultimate Sensi game... That and the game cart didn't save leagues (or if it does, I'm having a blonde moment and I can't figure it out) but solid controls and fast action, a great port

• 4 weeks later...

Supercross 3D is also a Myst-like.

Of course the trolls (no reference to you Bill, but the one you quoted) will always pick the best of the 3DO and the worst of the Jag to "do the math." How about comparing Road Rash to Super Burnout and doing the math? Who cares if one has some 3D objects and the other doesn't, SB runs at 60fps, RR at 20-24fps. How about some one name ONE 3DO title that runs beyond 30fps? I have nearly the entire library and I can't find one, even 2D! DO THE MATH( And, no Madman I am still not reading your posts, except when they are quoted by others and I accidentally stumble on them.)

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1