IGNORED

Wanted: Feedback For Touchdown Football & One-on-One Basketball

nosweargamer

I'm looking for feedback for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Game By Game Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, YouTube or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/78gbg )

What are your memories and/or thoughts on the games Touchdown Football & One-on-One Basketball on the 7800?

Also, how would you rate them? I use a system of 4 choices (From Best to Worst):

Hall of Fame Game (Top 5 officially released game on the system)

Solid Game

"Meh" Game

Trash Game (Bottom 5 game on the system)

These games will be covered on Episode 12.

You can also e-mail text or audio to atari7800podcast@aol.com

Just keep it family friendly :)

You can also send feedback or stories on previously covered games or the system itself. Thanks!

Touchdown is trash not worth the energy even mentioning.

one on one is solid. great fun for 2 players(which may not occur this late in life) controls seem just right. could ise more variations and better sound and so on but for what it is its alright.

I can only comment on One-on-One.

For me it is a solid game. The thing I can fault it for is that it feels a bit slow. But even against the computer this is a game I can sit down and play a few rounds for 10-20 minutes and have more fun than I should be having. I suspect it is probably better with another human as your opponent.

Touchdown Football would have been meh except the impossible extra points and field goals made the game trash.

One on One was my favorite 7800 game but I've also always been a huge basketball fan. It's probably the best Atari sports game of all time but that's not saying a whole lot.

I crunched Curt Vendel's sales figures over the weekend... the ones he posted a few years ago for the 25th anniversary of the 7800...

Measured by Net Revenue, One-on-One was the 2nd highest selling game. (153k sold, for $1.778 million) If you go based off sheer number of cartridges sold, One-on-One was the 9th highest selling game. (This is over the entire 1986-1991 period). Point being is that it likely sold at a higher price compared to many other 7800 games.

Touchdown Football was not nearly as successful and only sold about 30k copies.

Touchdown Football -- As I mentioned in other podcasts I'm a huge football fan, so I was eager to try this out. I was surprised to learn when I did research on this game before playing it that it was originaly made by Electronic Arts and also was ported to the Atari 8 bit computer line, the C64, and PC! I'm not sure who handled the port to the 7800, but man, is this bad! The opening song is nice and the sound effects get the job done, but the graphics are terrible, not at all indicative of what could be done on the 7800. The controls are sloppy and don't feel responsive at all, the game play feels really constipated, and only six players for each team. Play calling is about the only good thing I can say gameplay wise. It's playable, but I think even Realsports Football for the 2600 was better. Meh rating for me.

One on One Basketball -- another port of a Electronic Arts game, this one was much better made in it's original format and ported to the 7800 much better as a result. The graphics look a bit crude but are detailed enough, the sound effects are nice, and the controls are easy to get the hang of. I really love all the options for gameplay and difficulty on the options screen. The instant replay is a nice touch and the fatigue meter, fouls, and free throws all add a good touch of realism. The janitor cleaning up the glass from a smashed backboard is one of the best features in a early sports game! This is one of the best one on one sports games made and still is as much fun to play today as it was when it first came out. Solid rating for me.

I haven't played Touchdown Football....since I had already heard people ay it was trash.

I've had a fondness for the XE version of One on One for years though and found that was true of the 7800 version as well. I'd call it solid. I like the shooting mechanic, such as it is, and the "sidling" way you have to back up and slide by your opponent actually kind of feels like...basketball. And who doesn't love pissing off the janitor?

I crunched Curt Vendel's sales figures over the weekend... the ones he posted a few years ago for the 25th anniversary of the 7800...

Measured by Net Revenue, One-on-One was the 2nd highest selling game. (153k sold, for $1.778 million) If you go based off sheer number of cartridges sold, One-on-One was the 9th highest selling game. (This is over the entire 1986-1991 period). Point being is that it likely sold at a higher price compared to many other 7800 games.

Touchdown Football was not nearly as successful and only sold about 30k copies.

Thats awesome! Where are those figures posted?

Just to tack on something to my original feedback, I think the only reason I elevated Touchdown Football from Trash to Meh is cause I love football and love sports games, so I can get a little fun out of this. If you don't like either of those, though, I can totally see the hate. ;)