IGNORED

What's happened to atari-forum.com?

https://webhostinggeeks.com/user-reviews/1and1/

I only pay $30 a year for my VPS and that one flys along. Fantastic quick support aswell. I'd consider paying for for first year on a VPS if it means getting the forum running properly again. Its a invaluable resource for the Atari-community and seems like its gone to the dogs a bit over the past few months :( No disrespect to Darren of course, its the hosting company which seems terrible to me.

Edited by exxosuk

Agree completely about it being an invaluable resource! But I don't feel you, Exxosuk, should pay for it all alone although that's a very kind offer to consider.

How about the owner set up a Paypal "donation" account and we all chip in a little bit. I don't know how many forum members there are but I'm sure we'd be able to cover all expenses together :)

It's a pity if the owner (or some other kind individual) should cover all the expenses alone in order to keep it going (for a couple of years until he/she gets fed up and the whole thing gets closed down for good) :_(

.... and with a more efficient and stable running server we might even get increased activity and new members!

Edited by 68000

There is a donation thing for people to donate to running costs on the forum. So that is in place already. I sent some $$ a couple years ago towards running costs. Though I guess if a better host is required, then it may need more donations. I guess it also depends on how much space and bandwidth the site takes. Can't image much of either really. I tested a lot of VPS's out about 18 months ago, for speed, and support, there are some relatively cheap and good servers out there. I don't know if AF is a VPS or a basic webhost package, but there are really good unlimited packages I have come across also. It could just be a donation vs quality of host issue, I don't know whats really going on behind the scenes.

its been up/down every couple of hours. Maybe someone is flood attacking the forum ? or some idiot is trying to download the entire thing opening up 100's of connections. I've had that happen on my site in the past. Site was still running, but took about 2 hours to actually respond to a request.

I asked Dal about is forum attacked by some hackers, but he did not respond. And it was because mine site was, on previous host . There is some script around, what infects mostly php files, and then antivirus SW (Avast for instance) simply blocks those pages. And fixing it may be pretty time consuming since there are many-many php scripts in some forum. What bothers me is how they managed to achieve ftp access, and how spread is this new, in fact really pointless attacking, because don't see any benefit for anyone in it.

If it is host problem, then really should move on other, because forum is barely usable - yesterday I was not able to perform simple posting, it froze again after some minutes.

Dal said he is working on it, but so far rebooting the server is the only thing which seems to work. Its not a flood attack, there is hardly any bandwidth being used. I've offered to host the forum on another server to see if that solves the problem, but I think Dal is waiting for the host to reply to his ticket. I think AF needs a new host IMHO. I run my site on a cheap VPS host and it works good.