IGNORED

HSC12 Round 10: The Goonies & Conan - Plus Season 12 Catch-Up

Here is a link to a "Goonies Playthrough" video for the Atari 8-bit.

(Note: Only watch this video if you don't want to figure the game out for yourself. This video shows it all!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRqQE76Nc0

Now that I've watched the video, I don't even know if I have the patience to play this game. How are other people doing; are most people enjoying "The Goonies" so far?

• Like 1

That's a good tip. I wouldn't have thought of that. I got that second jewel on level, got the key and saw no use hanging around. Is the extra (third) jewel on level 4 required for a later level, or does beating a later level that much easier to do?

I'm having a tough time with "The Goonies." I think I'll have to use a walk-through or video on this one. I can see how beating this myself would be entertaining and would improve the game, but I'd rather play this as an action game-- which it really isn't at all: it's a puzzler. I never realized that before now.

Makes level 5 really easy - you want to have 20-25 daggers too - get as many quickly before it gets crowded. Not beaten level 6 so you may need even more!

This game is very beatable. But there's no point in beating it having watched the video cos the difficulty in this game is working out the puzzles. It will involve a lot of patience but I think that goes for most games

Unless you have no hope of making any progress! I would suggest not watching the video and forget this round and play the Goonies to completion - it is very good and yes it is beatable.

I agree though, especially as there is an ending on The Goonies - the manual has a nice hint sheet and are extra lives given on level 5. Though I am still grateful for the hint - will play again later ;)

I made this a 3 week round to give players time to explore the games; I've had fun re-learning the games. and screens that seemed hard suddenly become much easier. Conan is good too but only 3 lives makes it a bit too hard... still time though I'm determined to complete both games ;)

Votes EVERYONE! Mid-Season Finale Poll O*P*E*N :party:

Conan very nearly completed Level 6 but wasted a life in panic! 102,100

post-19705-0-34634800-1436545992_thumb.jpg

Probably will have another session but this is gruelling so might go for Zeppelin Level 3 instead not I have mapped the first bit...

Goonies COMPLETED! 33,755 (fuzzy picture might be 38,755?!). I must have not noticed the Octopus move before. We'll use the score on the completion screen as it doesn't seem to get any harder on the 2nd run through (I played a few screens)? Looks like my copy has a duff end screen darn it :twisted: Think the scoring credits for men remaining :grin: The Pirate Ship was very easy :(

post-19705-0-31184900-1436545989_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-08267700-1436545979_thumb.jpg

Remember this round and the poll close on Sunday :)

Have now watched Bally's Goonies video - I just jumped both guys up the ladder on the last screen - the sail was neat. Despite thinking I had everything optimal there were a few things I noticed, but equally he missed a couple of tricks too. Very nice game. Looked a lot peppier on NTSC which would make the organ screen tricky.

Edited by therealbountybob

Thanks for playing, hope you enjoyed these two classic single screen platformers. I will dig out Conan for another play occasionally but am happy to have completed The Goonies once again. Well done to McKong for also completing this. I'll leave the Round 11 Poll open for a little while longer. Please check your scores ;)

p.s. I think on Conan turning the sound off (S) makes the game play faster.

Final Tables

1st therealbountybob (p) 60 12pts
2nd McKong (p) 56 12pts *
3rd SHiNjide (p) 56 10pts

4th Sikor (p) 54 9pts
5th ballyalley (n) 51 8pts
6th bluecat (p) 50 7pts
7th roadrunner (n) 44 6pts
8th powersoft (p) 28 5pts
9th Sleepy (p) 27 4pts
10th jblenkle (n) 24 3pts
11th playermissile (n) 22 2pts

* includes bonus point for 1st player to complete The Goonies

ties decided by total scores for both games

The Goonies
1st therealbountybob (p) 39,755 30
2nd McKong (p) 19,755 29
3rd powersoft (p) 8,655 28
4th SHiNjide (p) 4,905 27
4th Sikor (p) 4,905 27
4th Sleepy (p) 4,095 27
7th jblenkle (n) 1,900 24
8th bluecat (p) 1,750 23
9th playermissile (n) 1,400 22
9th ballyalley (n) 1,400 22

11th roadrunner (n) 700 20

Conan: Hall of Volta
1st therealbountybob (p) 102,100 30
2nd ballyalley (n) 36,000 29
3rd SHiNjide (p) 14,250 28
4th Sikor (p) 7,250 27
5th bluecat (p) 7,250 27
6th McKong (p) 7,250 27
7th roadrunner (n) 6,500 24

Catch-Up Scores

Sleepy - Zeppelin - Level 7 - 2pts

McKong - Embargo - 34,700 - 1pt

Corrected

I thought that the "Goonies" and "Conan" round was going to last three weeks, meaning it would end, I thought, on this coming Wednesday. No matter, I doubt that I could have bettered my scores for these games, as I lost patience with them.

I posted a score of (about 36,000) for Conan in this post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239695-hsc12-round-10-the-goonies-conan-plus-season-12-catch-up/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3274062

I don't understand how people scored low at "Conan." I only reached level 5, and without doing anything special, this score got me the above score. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how scoring works for that round? That score is for a full game of "Conan," not just one life (if that makes a difference).

I meant to play "Conan" more, but, I couldn't get past level five, so I gave up after awhile. I even tried cheating with "Conan" using save states just to, you know, try it-- and still I couldn't do it beat that blasted level!

I only beat the first level of "Goonies," which gave me 1,400 points (I think). I love the graphics of "Goonies," but not the game. I always thought that this game played differently until I dug into it this round.

While these two games weren't as fun for me as some previous games, I still had fun. I revisited some old memories using "Conan" as my vehicle, and I finally played "Goonies," which I had always wanted to do because I used to really enjoy "Goonies II" on the NES.

Tables updated - ok it was about 3 weeks (wanted to get back to Sundays) ;) Lates scores are ok everyone but we'll start up round 11 now.

Level 5 is very easy - like you I went charging in there firing away (I'm watching all the Ataris) and probably got fried; but, instead, you can just stand there and let them come to you - hold in fire if necessary though you can waste daggers (sorry swords!) [there are a limited number of dragons]. If you stock up on level 4 you don't even need to go to the bottom section at all. I'll play again and have just played Zeppelin Level 3 so it's good to re-kindle interest in some of these games that are not regular plays.

Forgot to say Goonies would be great with two players - did anyone do this before?