IGNORED

Battlezone reboot

One of the first products to come out of Atari's IP fire sale: BATTLEZONE by Rebellion. Unveiled at this year's E3, the game purports to stay true to its roots while taking the concept into modern VR. Its set to be an early title for Sony's Morpheus headset on PS4. Video, screens and press kit at http://www.battlezone.com.

I went into that link with an attitude somewhere near "here comes some more rebellion budget-grade trash" (really I had a substitute for the word "trash" in my mind) but honestly it's got a nice look, even if it it doesn't look 'current gen'. It seems to move at a decent pace, with lots of action, and might actually end up being pretty darn fun. I didn't expect that.

I do wonder if this is one of those examples of a clever art choice being made to cover up a lack of resources/talent/budget.

Edit: Actually, looking at rebellion's more recent lineup I probably should modify my prejudices a bit. I just associate their name with a bad experience I had with a system they seemed to support a lot. I tend to do it to high voltage software too.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Pandemic showed how to reboot Battlezone 'properly' on PC many years ago, so it's do-able..i just would'nt personally of thought Rebellion were the ones to do it, espically after how PS3/PC/360 AVP turned out compared to the Windows'95 AVP...

That and the pityful Judge Dredd Vs Judge Death game, on PS2/Xbox etc put me off any idea's that Rebellion could pull something out the hat, but then, the same Rebellion really nailed Rogue Trooper ( huge fan of the 2000AD Comic Strip) on PS2/Xbox etc, so there's a lingering ember of hope they might do something to surprise me yet...

Yeah with Rebellion it could go either way. AvP 2010's multiplayer was fun although not as polished or as deep as it should have been, like the criminally short singleplayer and lazy shared maps. Most of their stuff comes across like they have a "good enough" attitude. I'm sure they have hard deadlines to meet so that probably has a play. The stylized graphics for this I like and really gives off that VR vibe.

• 2 years later...

So, maybe Battlezone Gold is a non-VR port of the battlezone game that came out last year.

Will wait on it, to see what it's like before getting it. This is for the xbox one:

https://www.trueachievements.com/n32074/battlezone-gold-edition-achievement-list-revealed

Strap into the cockpit of the Cobra – the most powerful tank ever built – and experience first-person tank combat across neon-scarred sci-fi landscapes in an explosive campaign for 1-4 players.
Load your tank with a wide range of devastating weapons and power-ups, and blast your way to a colossal final showdown.
The Battlezone Gold Edition includes all skin, bobblehead, and horn content packs!
later

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the price for the XBOX one version is $39.99 or $34.99 which is way too much.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n32314/battlezone-gold-edition-announced

Unless there's a lot more too it, than the PC version, which is about $20, and same with the PS4 version on amazon.

so, no, not likely to pick this up, unless it goes on sale.

(yes, i saw another thread about this), but no details on the price.

later

Edited by negative1

So the price for the XBOX one version is $39.99 or $34.99 which is way too much.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n32314/battlezone-gold-edition-announced

Unless there's a lot more too it, than the PC version, which is about $20, and same with the PS4 version on amazon.

so, no, not likely to pick this up, unless it goes on sale.

(yes, i saw another thread about this), but no details on the price.

later

Steam and the PS4 store both have Battlezone at $39.99. Is that PC version a sale price?