IGNORED

Anyone know Commodore 64 games?

trustey1

What makes me laugh about the bickering between the two camps is that you ask where did the Atari lads like myself go when things dried up on the Atari, yup straight to the C64, was I being disloyal, not on your life, I was getting my gaming fix wherever I could. I've always been multi platform on both computers and consoles, there's too much goodness out there to play fanboy. I'll always love my Atari first and foremost because it was my big start in my work life and I owe it so much but I'll also adored my C64 with Dolphin Dos etc..

Hence I find all the one upping machine wise so silly...Fun but silly, and for those that take it too seriously then grow up..

I've said before that one guy that worked with TMR was so Atari based that I believe he was the first human to marry a computer, or an Atari Falcon in this case :)

He took fanboy to the epic edges of space and time :)

• Like 2

I've said before that one guy that worked with TMR was so Atari based that I believe he was the first human to marry a computer, or an Atari Falcon in this case :)

Thinking back... i'm not sure any of us weren't at least a bit fanboyish since we argued the Amiga's superiority with him at length? =-)

What makes me laugh about the bickering between the two camps is that you ask where did the Atari lads like myself go when things dried up on the Atari, yup straight to the C64, was I being disloyal, not on your life, I was getting my gaming fix wherever I could. I've always been multi platform on both computers and consoles, there's too much goodness out there to play fanboy. I'll always love my Atari first and foremost because it was my big start in my work life and I owe it so much but I'll also adored my C64 with Dolphin Dos etc..

Hence I find all the one upping machine wise so silly...Fun but silly, and for those that take it too seriously then grow up..

I was always aware of the C64, right back to that early design with the group of chunky function keys on the right and everything curved like an over-stuffed cushion! Back in the early eighties the best selection of machines locally were at Boots of all places and they had them all out on display attached to monitors so you could type on them and play a little bit. That led to the inevitable embarrassment when wags with a modicum of BASIC filled the screen with choice obscenities and the like!

I always used to run up to the computers and bang away at the keyboards whenever we went in. For some reason i singled out the C64's and especially the '116' - the latter design with the extremely cool arrangement of arrow-shaped cursor keys. Strangely, if I look up that machine on Google image search now I see those keys were plain grey, but I am convinced the ones I remember were luminous green - that really caught my eye and the mental image is totally clear. Oddly, when I finally did get a computer it was of course an Atari - a 400 I still have somewhere and I think working - yet had no say in the purchase. My father bought it for me second hand for Christmas 1984 on the cheap from one of his colleagues at 'Curry's' who's kiddie was getting a new machine himself for Christmas. Ironically I dare say if I had been asked exactly which I wanted it would probably have been a Commodore...!!!!

And the rest is history.

• Like 2

I'm with you there High Voltage, i'm so very glad i had both during my childhood, so many classic games of that era, hell we'd often buy a guff C64 game just for the amazing SID music :-)

I feel the pair complimented each other.

Hey that's is actually true.

Mind you, I think Pokey is as amazing and capable as Sid.

I also managed to get a cheap second hand Apple ][ (with 2 disk drives) during the late 80s (car boot, GBP15 would you believe it), so you could say I had all 3 important 8-bitters (but there was little software available in the UK for the Apple).*

* Spectrum and CPC don't count in my book as important 8-bit computers

Edited by high voltage

My first love - would have to be the arcades - that's why I was never satisfied with the home versions of Defender and Zaxxon - and it's a black hole as far as Galaga is concerned - though it appears accurately on the 7800 (and Xevious).

When the games software dried up for the Atari 8-bits - I did go C-64 for almost a year - and can say that the C-64 did deliver pretty decent home versions of certain games - such as Ghosts n Goblins - Domain of the Undead did not stack up well against it - and I would take a guess there were many unsatisfied purchasers of it, hoping that it would be that kind of game... But there was no Xevious, Flying Shark, Raiden (but there was IO, Delta, Sanxion, Armalyte and a few others)

And in the early 90s' - the Amiga and Atari ST did not deliver enough high quality home versions of arcade games - and so I went Super Nintendo over the Sega MegaDrive. It had the sprite hardware and sound chip to do so - you have only to play Super SWIV, Super Aleste, Sunset Riders, and Contra IV to see how far videogaming in the home was becoming.

I did use to think that the Atari 8-bit hardware - simply was not capable of anything like Flying Shark, Raiden etc - because no one delivered anything approaching these kind of games.... but I was wrong. But it would be a very long wait - but for you guys - you won't have to wait as long.

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove
  • Like 1

See? Not much fun.

I hope you're just attempting to speak for yourself. I think it's great fun. Now I can go look at those thing you mentioned a see just how good they are. I have some past familiarity with GEOS, and IMHO, it's no match for SDX 4.47. But it's still fun to see what folks have to put forth and learn about these things. I actually don't care what systems people use or don't, at least as far as a criteria for how well I like them or whatever. I do like to see people share passion for the same systems I do though, but then I'm sure we all do. But there is nothing too serious in this. It's just a bit of fun. Am I the only one who enjoys a little friendly ribbing give and take, for old time's sake?

This thread makes me think of times past when a good friend of mine (a C64 owner) and I got into a conversation. I was always going on about how cool the Action! programming language was. One day, he brought up to me how there was a new and improved version of it coming out, but just on the Commodore. He said it was being called "Re-Action!". That actually sounded like a name someone full of pride in their work, who took the challenge to make a better mouse trap might use. So for a minute there I was awash with a strange emotion about it. I said "Really? That sounds really cool. Did you hear if they might still make it for Atari?" My friend said... "Nope. It will ONLY be for Commodore." I was disappointed and frustrated at the same time. This was the era when new titles are becoming less and less for Atari but seemed to be speeding up if anything for the 64. Just as he sensed I was going to figure out his deception, he let me know I had been had.

I hope you're just attempting to speak for yourself. I think it's great fun. Now I can go look at those thing you mentioned a see just how good they are. I have some past familiarity with GEOS, and IMHO, it's no match for SDX 4.47. But it's still fun to see what folks have to put forth and learn about these things. I actually don't care what systems people use or don't, at least as far as a criteria for how well I like them or whatever. I do like to see people share passion for the same systems I do though, but then I'm sure we all do. But there is nothing too serious in this. It's just a bit of fun. Am I the only one who enjoys a little friendly ribbing give and take, for old time's sake?

My point was we can play tit for tat with system x has this software while system y has that software, etc., and this has been done to death for the Atari 8-bit and C-64, especially around here in numerous topics. Don't let me stop you or anyone else though from engaging in it in this particular topic, though, especially since it's already far deviated from the original post.

And the mentions of GEOS and Quatum Link were not related to the mentions of Action! or SpartaDOS. Obviously GEOS is a graphical operating system/eco system and Quantum Link was a graphical online environment. I was merely using them as examples of powerful software from back-in-the-day on the C-64 not present on the Atari 8-bit series.

Power at Sea, by the way, is awesome. I sank at least a hundred hours into it back in the days. First, trying to end the mission successfully at all, then honing my pixel-perfect aiming skills to get better results during the base assaults. I still play it from time to time.

Test Drive has been mentioned in this thread, which must be about the worst Accolade C64 game in existence, and a perfect example of a game that probably shouldn't have been converted to any 8-bit platform at all. But some Accolade games on the C64, like Power at Sea and the equally awesome The Train are so unique in how they play, feel and sound, they make for unforgettable memories.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 1

:-) Pokey Vs SId?

I'm so not going there my friend.

There's a A8/C64 music comparison on YT, the likes of Alternate Reality, Panther etc. I think the A8 versions actually sound better than the C64 versions in this comparison.

But then, Katakis, Giana Sisters eg, yes they rock.

Edited by high voltage

Jesus... Neo not-saying that.... Almost twenty years ago!!!

Total irrelevance, but age just came up and punched me in the face.

And painful as he looks almost the same as then..grrr...

Can't believe its gone past Jaws 40th anniversary, feels like yesterday..(brilliant film too)

Thinking back... i'm not sure any of us weren't at least a bit fanboyish since we argued the Amiga's superiority with him at length? =-)

Rob just confused me, the stereo typical computer nerd image and looked like Ned Flanders to boot :)

(Sorry Rob)

I hope him and his Falcon are still married..

Back in the early eighties the best selection of machines locally were at Boots of all places and they had them all out on display attached to monitors so you could type on them and play a little bit. That led to the inevitable embarrassment when wags with a modicum of BASIC filled the screen with choice obscenities and the like!

Sad but true, even did it myself.....

Best one I saw that was similar was when we were in Toronto on holidays, our in laws there took us to see TRON which was just out, the next we were taken to the biggest Mall there and me being me headed to every computer shop, almost every one had 'ACCESS PROJECT TRON typed on the screen with syntax error afterwards..

Made me giggle

This thread makes me think of times past when a good friend of mine (a C64 owner) and I got into a conversation. I was always going on about how cool the Action! programming language was. One day, he brought up to me how there was a new and improved version of it coming out, but just on the Commodore. He said it was being called "Re-Action!". That actually sounded like a name someone full of pride in their work, who took the challenge to make a better mouse trap might use. So for a minute there I was awash with a strange emotion about it. I said "Really? That sounds really cool. Did you hear if they might still make it for Atari?" My friend said... "Nope. It will ONLY be for Commodore." I was disappointed and frustrated at the same time. This was the era when new titles are becoming less and less for Atari but seemed to be speeding up if anything for the 64. Just as he sensed I was going to figure out his deception, he let me know I had been had.

OSS originally announced Action! for the C64 and the Apple II. At least, I think the Apple can't remember. :-)

And was Action! used as a cross assembler for software for the Apple II?

And painful as he looks almost the same as then..grrr...

Can't believe its gone past Jaws 40th anniversary, feels like yesterday..(brilliant film too)

He does indeed! You could believe that 'John wick' was Neo's origin story!!! Even in the new Eli Roth flick he looks barely aged... five years at most.

My point was we can play tit for tat with system x has this software while system y has that software, etc., and this has been done to death for the Atari 8-bit and C-64, especially around here in numerous topics. Don't let me stop you or anyone else though from engaging in it in this particular topic, though, especially since it's already far deviated from the original post.

Whilst true, at least its not degenerated in to the slanging match and has been pretty kind to the C64 as people should be..

There's a A8/C64 music comparison on YT, the likes of Alternate Reality, Panther etc. I think the A8 versions actually sound better than the C64 versions in this comparison.

But then, Katakis, Giana Sisters eg, yes they rock.

I love the SID sound, the stuff they can do now is just staggering sometimes when you saw a port you found the C64 music / fx sounded awful compared to the Atari, they just went OTT with the envelopes etc simply because they were there and gave no thought to how it sounded. But when they got it right it was amazing, thumbs up for both sets of chips..

• Like 1