IGNORED

Atari 5200 Atari Corp Labels

AtariBrian

I've seen Atari Corp. rereleases for the 5200 once or twice, but yes, they are very rare birds. I understand Trammel wasn't really the thick-headed five-minutes-behind CEO history has made him out to be, but when you see stuff like this you really have to wonder what was going on in their heads. I mean, with this we now have evidence that in 1987 they tried to sell stuff for all four Atari consoles then in existence: the 2600, the 5200, the 7800 and the XEGS!

Maybe Tempest or someone that knows about these will see this thread .

Well, back in 1985, they were selling packages of 5200 games and also fixed consoles in Atari Explorer. Around 1987, they were probably selling them directly and/or providing leftover inventory for sale at Federated. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Atari/Lucasfilm packaged 5200 Ballblazer and Rescue on Fractalus there for $1 each.

• Like 1

mean, with this we now have evidence that in 1987 they tried to sell stuff for all four Atari consoles then in existence: the 2600, the 5200, the 7800 and the XEGS!

Maybe. He may have had some leftover goods that he quickly printed labels for and sold off cheap to a few outlets.

Just because they exist, doesn't mean he tried to push them across his entire distribution network.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I have one not pictured so far in this thread:
- 1985 RealSports Soccer

I also have a photo of the following (I think I snagged this image from an auction, but I don't remember):

- 1986 Pole Position

I've seen Atari Corp. boxes for the following games, but not the carts themselves (yet?):

- Mario Bros

- Space Invaders

On a related note, I'm looking for a silver label Gremlins / Atari Inc. 1984 cart if anyone has one they'd trade/sell. The majority of Gremlins carts (including all those NOS boxes sold from Venezuela, apparently) have the gray Atari Corp. 1986 labels. I don't know whether or not any '84 labels were actually sold in 1984, but I'd guess that they were not. Most likely they were just old stock that Atari Corp. sold without re-labeling them.

Old thread returns. I'm reminded of a company I worked for that had discontinued development on some specific titles ... then got an order from some retailers, so they made more units to fill the order and get money in for them.

Edited by DracIsBack

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There were also some late systems assembled with leftover 4-port boards sold in mis-matched cases.

And as I stated above, those were often modded to use the 2-port RF modulator instead of Sparky. Someone should dig up some of the 1986 Atari Explorer issues and scan Atari Corp's ads in it selling 5200s in packaged bundles.

Yep. Here is a picture of a label on the system a close up of the board showing the re-worked 4 port system. They were basically grabbing their hands on anything and selling it to make a buck, I guess. I do remember this 4 port unit being compatible with the 2600 adapter. Note that part of the serial number has white out on it. Odd.

post-3153-129659927399_thumb.jpg
post-3153-129659914658_thumb.jpg
post-3153-129652966115_thumb.jpg
post-3153-129652963068_thumb.jpg
post-3153-129652967678_thumb.jpg

Edited by phuzzed