Photo

All about sprites/tiles

32 replies to this topic

#26 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,909 posts

Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:18 AM

What? Super Marios Bros wasn't enough for you? ;)

Where did that come from? It's not even in the game base.

I don't think a smooth scrolling version would be impossible.

#27 Plastik OFFLINE  

Plastik

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 144 posts
  • The future is 8-bit

Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:04 PM

Plastik, I just want to say that I like the graphics you create. Shame the Mario stuff isn't technically possible on the real hardware, but even the simplified stuff is really well done. Kudos.

Thanks Mole, I think I'm a bit better at making the graphics then I am at coding them.  :)  Sadly they never made a pre-built engine to just drop your graphics and sprites into like today's software so those with limited coding knowledge can get a bit of a lead. Well there was the adventure series where you could make your own text adventure but still. I have some idea's and I like to share them so I guess that's good enough for me.  :)

hallway.png

#28 Dexter OFFLINE  

Dexter

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts
  • Location:Landgraaf, Netherlands / Übach-Palenberg, Deutschland

Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:47 PM

Plastik, I just want to say that I like the graphics you create.

Me too, especially the dog you created in another thread!

I envy people who can make a few pixels, with the right color combination, look amazingly good.

#29 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,329 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:10 PM

(OT)

Where did that come from? It's not even in the game base.

I don't think a smooth scrolling version would be impossible.

Should be pretty doable, I think one could pull off a convincing SMB, although it would not be a small effort. FWIW, SMB is fully reverse engineered and documented assembly code is available for it (I've seen that used for ports to other machines - Genesis has a very nice port, and someone started and got running an Atari 8-bit port, although the graphics weren't done). ;) Would not be too hard to adapt 6502 to 9900 (we have lots more registers ;) ), then it's just the work of making it fit and adapting the graphics/sound systems. Scrolling is probably a secondary effort if you start with the NES code, I expect that'd be easier to do from scratch.

But the video I linked is Super Marios Bros, released (or at least reviewed) in 1991. It received 3/4 stars in Micropendium. It's an XB title with assembly support sold commercially by Baker software, and we have a brief discussion here in a 'worst games' thread, where it got my vote. Sadly Baker Software never showed up and said 'sure, distribute it ;)'.

#30 Iwantgames:) OFFLINE  

Iwantgames:)

River Patroller

• 2,351 posts

Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:44 PM

What? Super Marios Bros wasn't enough for you? ;)

https://www.youtube....h?v=y8TYaeQH9fo

Never seen that before

#31 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,837 posts

Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:17 PM

I actually bought a complete set of the offerings from Baker Software BITD. . .they produced several other games as well.

#32 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,329 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:33 PM

I actually bought a complete set of the offerings from Baker Software BITD. . .they produced several other games as well.

Yes, I bought SMB, A 4x4 game, and a top down shooter from them. I only still have SMB though.

#33 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Chopper Commander

• 226 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:29 AM

...and fbForth.

...lee

As can TI Basic Plus & X4th99  :sleep:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users