IGNORED

Adam Disk Drive ...woes...i think

Tkat5200

Hey now

I'm new to the forum but i've been on here a bunch of times reading posts and learning

I scored a HUGE kit of adam computer stuff yesterday on Ebay for 80.00.

Came with the expansion module 3

A colecovision

The keyboard, printer

a pair of super action controllers

about 30 games on Disk

The Adam Disk Drive with all its parts except the main cable to the adam.

and some games on Data Disk

When I plug in the Adam disk drive using a standard phone cord the drive just spins and spins and the printer keeps trying to move the print ribbon (as if it was booting) even though its hit the wall of the printer.

it only stops when I shut the disk drive off.

I'm hoping this is an easy fix as I want so badly for this disk drive to work....

Anyone have any ideas on what may be wrong?

Yeahhhh I was thinking the same thing but I figured i'd start trying to sort it out. I just ordered a replacement cable from Ecoleco...hopefully that will sort this out.

I need to get the Data Drive fixed as well, it just rewinds the tapes all the way to the beginning and then starts clicking.

Still....for 80.00 everything else seems to be working.

It doesn't use a standard cable...you need these:

http://www.showmecables.com/product/RJ12-6-Conductor-6P6C-Flat-Silver-Satin-Crossed-Telephone-Line-Cord-7-FT.aspx

Be sure you get the "reversed" or "crossed"...not straight through ones.

Hey now

I'm new to the forum but i've been on here a bunch of times reading posts and learning

I scored a HUGE kit of adam computer stuff yesterday on Ebay for 80.00.

Came with the expansion module 3

A colecovision

The keyboard, printer

a pair of super action controllers

about 30 games on Disk

The Adam Disk Drive with all its parts except the main cable to the adam.

and some games on Data Disk

When I plug in the Adam disk drive using a standard phone cord the drive just spins and spins and the printer keeps trying to move the print ribbon (as if it was booting) even though its hit the wall of the printer.

it only stops when I shut the disk drive off.

I'm hoping this is an easy fix as I want so badly for this disk drive to work....

Anyone have any ideas on what may be wrong?

• Like 1

As far as the Data Drive, most likely the problem is a bad controller board built-into the drive itself and finding a working replacement drive will fix the issue.

It could also mean a bad controller chip on the Adam Logic Board, but this is less likely then your Data Drive being bad.

That was a nice lot of items for $80. I almost bid on it, but was turned off by the crazy UPS shipping cost. If the seller offered USPS shipping, it would have been about $160 cheaper for shipping.

NIAD...yeah the shipping was nuts...so I drove up to her and picked it up...spent 30.00 on gas...so all in 110.00 for the lot. Not bad right?

EVerything else on the adam seems to be working so far...I wish I could find a cheap DAta Drive replacement...but Ecoleco wants way too much money for it. :(

NIAD...yeah the shipping was nuts...so I drove up to her and picked it up...spent 30.00 on gas...so all in 110.00 for the lot. Not bad right?

EVerything else on the adam seems to be working so far...I wish I could find a cheap DAta Drive replacement...but Ecoleco wants way too much money for it. :(

The rubber wheel on the tape drive is ok?

On the cables, yes jblenkle's link will do. You can also do what I do and make your own, if that's something you're able to do.

Hey Moonsweeper

I honestly don't remember if the rubber wheel is ok...the unit isn't near me at the moment (i'm at work)

I don't think I can make the cable....this is my first run into restoring old consoles and equipment.

I also landed a motherload of Atari stuff from an old engineer at Atari...helped him move a couch and he gave me a ton of stuff for free.

I have 2 Atari 800's one I have to rebuild as the keyboard isn't working and its missing its screws to keep the frame together...

I also have an Atari 1050 that powers on but nothing else.

Here's a link about the tape drive rubber wheel. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/130089-coleco-adam-ram-expansion-and-tape-drive-repair/?p=2075049 if its melted then that's your issue and super easy fix. Just gotta take your time and not lose any of the tiny parts or damage in any way the encoder disc which is very thin.

Here's a link about the tape drive rubber wheel. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/130089-coleco-adam-ram-expansion-and-tape-drive-repair/?p=2075049 if its melted then that's your issue and super easy fix. Just gotta take your time and not lose any of the tiny parts or damage in any way the encoder disc which is very thin.

In my rush, I forgot to consider the timing wheel. Hopefully that's all that is wrong with the Data Drive and if so, you will need some nimble fingers and lots of patience to take apart the drive to get to the timing wheel mechanics in order to install a replacement wheel. Do yourself a favor and take pictures along the way and be very careful not to loose the very small washers.

If all else fails, contact adamcon (Bob S.) on here via PM or thru his ADAM website to acquire a new Data Drive: http://ann.hollowdreams.com . Word to the wise, check with Bob first or post requests on here before dealing with eColeco. I hate to say this as I have know Terry F. since the late 80s, but the last time I ordered something from him was definetely the last time.