IGNORED

RespeQt: Fork of AspeQt 1.0.0-preview7/r79

Joey Z

Can someone explain reach one and what they're for?

ApeTime allows a client program on the atari to request the time from the SIO2PC software. ApeCL also does this, but lets you perform a few other housekeeping tasks like dismounting and mounting new images, creating new blank images, etc.

RespeQt now supports ApeTime

I need testers! I currently don't own a USB SIO2PC device, and my current laptop does not have a real serial port. I need someone to check if the r1 branch ApeTime support works. You will need to be capable of compiling RespeQt for your platform.

The branch with ApeTime support is here: https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt/tree/r1

• Like 1

The bottom of the readme.txt file still contains references to Ray and his website.

I hadn't even realized there was still a readme.txt... Ray had removed compile.txt, and the documentation was in HTML format...

So how would you like to be mentioned in the documentation and history.txt? Kyle22? or something else?

So I said I'd do it, and here it is, RespeQt, the fork of AspeQt r79.

I understand your motives, but this is a bad idea.

Atari8Warez is no longer listed as maintainer of the AspeQt project on SourceForge. It seems that after deleting the repository and trashing the project's website, he was removed from the list of project maintainers (voluntarily or not, who cares I guess).

Surely the project should not be renamed only because one of its developers jumped the ship, right?

IMHO what yo should do, is contact the AtariAge user cyco130, who is AspeQt's original author and is still listed as the project's maintainer @SourceForge, and arrange with him the means of continuing development under the original name and location.

Who knows, maybe cyco130 has, by chance, a local copy of the repository, from which it could be restored?

• Like 5

I understand your motives, but this is a bad idea.

Why is it a bad idea? Forking is perfectly normal to do to a project.

Atari8Warez is no longer listed as maintainer of the AspeQt project on SourceForge. It seems that after deleting the repository and trashing the project's website, he was removed from the list of project maintainers (voluntarily or not, who cares I guess).

I think probably voluntarily, though I could be wrong. I believe it is more related to the reasons below.

Surely the project should not be renamed only because one of its developers jumped the ship, right?

He has not 'jumped ship.' He continues to develop AspeQt and _sells_ it on his website. http://aspeqt.sourceforge.net/

What's wrong with renaming? Not that I've done that anyway, I've _forked_ it. This is different from just renaming, it means it's totally separate software now.

IMHO what yo should do, is contact the AtariAge user cyco130, who is AspeQt's original author and is still listed as the project's maintainer @SourceForge, and arrange with him the means of continuing development under the original name and location.

Who knows, maybe cyco130 has, by chance, a local copy of the repository, from which it could be restored?

I don't believe cyco130 has worked on aspeQt for quite a while now. The last copyright by cyco is from 2009. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask cyco, but the last time he was logged in was over 6 months ago, and the last post was over a year ago here.

• Like 1

I hadn't even realized there was still a readme.txt... Ray had removed compile.txt, and the documentation was in HTML format...

So how would you like to be mentioned in the documentation and history.txt? Kyle22? or something else?

Sure, Kyle22 is fine. Thanks :)

RespeQt now supports ApeTime

I need testers! I currently don't own a USB SIO2PC device, and my current laptop does not have a real serial port. I need someone to check if the r1 branch ApeTime support works. You will need to be capable of compiling RespeQt for your platform.

The branch with ApeTime support is here: https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt/tree/r1

What does ApeTime do and how can I test it? Is a "real" (RS232?) serial port necessary or can this be tested with a USB device?

What does ApeTime do and how can I test it? Is a "real" (RS232?) serial port necessary or can this be tested with a USB device?

ApeTime is an emulated SIO 'device' that allows your atari computer to pull the time from the computer running SIO2PC software. It was supported for a short while in AspeQt before Ray created AspeCl and dropped support for ApeTime. You can test it with any SIO2PC.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/155690-ape-time/ <-- there is a download for the client on this page if you can't seem to find it anywhere else.

Also, I believe that SJ Carden's RealDos has support built in. http://www.realdos.net/realdos.html The download link is near the bottom of the page, the command to run is APETIME I guess. (or maybe you need to type APETIME.COM)

Update on my OS X build of RespeQt - ugh, same problem as last summer with AspeQt. The program itself loads and runs, and it finds the attached SIO2USB device. So far so good.

As soon as you start SIO emulation, however, CPU usage spikes to 94% - 104%. Loading an old version of AspeQt in CrossOver with the same disk image mounted gives me a ~18%-20% CPU usage.

There's got to be something screwy in the OS X-specific Qt libraries or something.

Why is it a bad idea? Forking is perfectly normal to do to a project.

Well not saying it's an objectively bad idea, just it's bad when compared to the other options we have :-)

He has not 'jumped ship.' He continues to develop AspeQt and _sells_ it on his website. http://aspeqt.sourceforge.net/

What's wrong with renaming? Not that I've done that anyway, I've _forked_ it. This is different from just renaming, it means it's totally separate software now.

Listen again. By removing himself from Sourceforge, he has effectively forked the project himself. Yeah, he also butchered the project's website before leaving, so that's another good reason to contact cyco130 and remove that crap from SourceForge.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask cyco, but the last time he was logged in was over 6 months ago, and the last post was over a year ago here.

Please do so. There's no need for a fork at this point. Edited by Kr0tki

Well not saying it's an objectively bad idea, just it's bad when compared to the other options we have :-)

Listen again. By removing himself from Sourceforge, he has effectively forked the project himself. Yeah, he also butchered the project's website before leaving, so that's another good reason to contact cyco130 and remove that crap from SourceForge.

Please do so. There's no need for a fork at this point.

Well I've forked it, and I don't think it's a bad idea at all. If you do, that's fine, you can go continue AspeQt development the way you want to. I'll do it the way I want to.

Edited by Joey Z

Well I've forked it, and I don't think it's a bad idea at all. If you do, that's fine, you can go continue AspeQt development the way you want to. I'll do it the way I want to.

I think you may have kind of just told him to "fork" off. :grin:

• Like 4

Chill out Ray hehe.. :)

I agree with Kr0tiki, would be best to take over the project properly at Sourceforge, be a good maintainer, do what the users want, blah blah blah.. Won't be easy!

Chill out Ray hehe.. :)

I agree with Kr0tiki, would be best to take over the project properly at Sourceforge, be a good maintainer, do what the users want, blah blah blah.. Won't be easy!

then you figure out how to contact cyco130 and get me rights. I have messaged cyco here, but the account has basically been inactive. I don't see what the issue with a fork is, does it really matter that much?

then you figure out how to contact cyco130 and get me rights. I have messaged cyco here, but the account has basically been inactive.

Well I didn't know that! I thank you for trying.

I have mailed him through Sourceforge, let's wait what we get from that.

I don't see what the issue with a fork is, does it really matter that much?

Nah, no real problem with that - I simply think that, in this case, one should at least try to fix the original project before making a fork.

I think you may have kind of just told him to "fork" off. :grin:

fujidude, may you fork yourself with a spoon. :->

It seems that Ray is encouraging this project (in his own typical way). http://www.atari8warez.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39

and also here: https://www.facebook.com/atari8warez

Please note that I don't routinely post atari8warez links, especially after the obscene attack PM he once left me.

This is a public information post only, and I in no way condone any of Ray's actions.