IGNORED

Just For Fun: Brainstorming New Uses for 64C Housings

I've been a happy user of the Atari 400/800 computer family since about 1983, but I decided recently that, for the sake of completeness, I should probably add a Commodore 64—aka "that damn competitor that's getting all the cool games that my beloved Atari isn't getting!"—to my growing collection of vintage computers. I had already decided on a 64C (the 1986 redesign of the original Commodore 64) when I learned that Commodore's original injection molds for the 64C housing had been found, and that a Kickstarter campaign had been started to fund the production of new housings in novelty colors. Even though I haven't yet bought a 64C computer, I figured that I could use a few of these cases when the time came, so I sent in my pledge, and I finally received my new housings yesterday afternoon. Here's a quick picture of the white one:

image2.jpg

This is my first time seeing the 64C housing in person, with a computer in it or not, and I have to say that it's a fairly nice example of the 1980s wedge form factor, which I've always liked anyway. But now that more of these housings can potentially be made, I find myself wondering what else can be done with them. Despite their lineage as Commodore housings, it might be interesting if a new Atari XL/XE mainboard could be designed for them, one which is compatible with the original machines but is made from all-new parts—except the original Atari chips, presumably—and which integrates all the various upgrades that Atari owners have had to add to their original machines over the years.

image1.jpg

Looking over the cavities on the back, it seems as if the leftmost "Expansion Port" might barely be large enough for an Atari cartridge. The "User Port" looks to be about the right size for a PBI header, and although it would have to be enlarged a bit, the "Cassette" port would be a good place for SIO. Maybe the "Serial" port could be used for an integrated SIO2PC interface? The biggest hurdle (aside for making the new board affordable) would be to find a suitable keyboard.

I'm curious to know what extra upgrades (if any) that everyone would choose to be included in a new Atari mainboard design, or even if the legacy SIO port should be excluded entirely in favor of more modern (backward-compatible) alternatives.

Despite their lineage as Commodore housings, it might be interesting if a new Atari XL/XE mainboard could be designed for them...

My sweet Lord, an Atari in disguise as a C64?... that's should be called blasphemy, IMHO.

• Like 5

Problem with the C64 housing, whether vintage original or new, whether breadbox or slimline - neither one IMO comes near to the styling of any of the Atari 8-bit models.

The other problem, housing an Atari would be a right huge job, as you say none of the cutouts are in the right position not to mention the keyboard is totally different.

The rehousing project which appealed much more to me is the one of putting an Atari XL or XE board into an ST case. That retains the family look and allows tons of room for addons, even if an ST original (external PSU) case is used.

Can you tell me what is the name of chemical & "special" cleaning stuff to make your Commodore 64C in so white case ? I would like to clean on my Atari stuff such as 600XL,800XL & 1200XL.

As he said in the post, it's a brand new case made in 2015 from the original C64C injection molds, it's clean because it hasn't really had a chance to get dirty yet! But perhaps Retr0bright would be helpful for you...?

On the original topic, it'd need an Atari keyboard either modified or designed to fit the C64C mounting points as well, i'm not sure the former is possible and the latter isn't going to be cheap... and if you use a board with a top mounted cartridge port you're cutting holes!

Wow, an Atari in a C64 case, that could start a war on the C64 forums :)

I think the idea is amazing, good luck..

That retrobright looks right handy, ta for the link TMR, one day I'll have that 800 looking bright and new :)

I wanted to convert one to be an rPi bbbuuuttttt making the keyboard function with the rPi was way way beyond my current ability (actually I wanted to do it with my Commodore Plus/4). I have a few c64's and zero software for them (and no interest in them after dumping a few grand into 8-bit Atari over the past 13 months) so I'm always trying to think up ideas for them myself.

I also have a TRS-80 model 1 that I need a power cable for (to see if it works) that I also wish I had the skills to repurpose it as I'd love to have linux or a telnet client or something running on it (telnet starwars anyone?).

personally I'd stick an actual C64 in there so you can make your own mind up which machine $SOME_GAME is better on and just play it on the C64/Atari as appropriate.

Not sure about recasing my Atari, mind, that 800XL seems pretty sturdy and solid as it is and doesn't really need messing with.

So ... I guess the idea of putting an Atari computer in a Commodore case isn't so popular, then? :lol:

I wasn't aware of the C-64 Reloaded until now, but it makes perfect sense: build an all-new replacement board for an 8-bit computer which accepts the original chips. I still think something like this should be done for the Atari machines, but maybe the 64C case isn't the best choice (due to the size and keyboard issues that several people have mentioned). Maybe an Atari board in a Mini-ITX form factor would be a better idea, since it could be dropped into whatever small computer enclosure the user likes the best.

I wonder what it would take to implement the Atari or CBM 8 bit chips (other than RAM) into an FPGA. Then set it up to be able to use USB for KB, controllers, and even optionally a mouse.

As far as I know, that solution already

exists. (Damn, I forgot the name)

Regarding the cases there is a story

behind it. The discovery of the injection moulds

happened by "accident" ;-)

I' d like to see an equal projet with the

8bit Ataris.

What about the custom chips of that generation?

Is there a replacement avaiable?

Stefan

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both