Jump to content

Photo

my diy multicart works with some eeproms but not another?

multicart eeprom homebrew diy

5 replies to this topic

#1 Javaman OFFLINE  

Javaman

    Space Invader

  • 10 posts
  • Location:CT, USA

Posted Wed Jul 1, 2015 7:49 AM

Hi everyone,

 

I wired up a little 2k/4k multicart that uses a 74LS04 for a CE hex inverter.

 

It works with the AMD 29F010A-90PC and with some minor wiring changes, the smaller Atmel 28C64-15PC

However, it will NOT work with the Atmel 29C010A-12PC and I've tried several.
Sometimes I get a glimpse of the game screen before it blanks out.

An older post http://atariage.com/...ri/#entry240804

describes a similar problem (though I have a 4 switcher) and he solved it by using a 7406 inverter.

Before I take a chance on that inverter does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

I'm trying to understand why it would effect the 120ns chip but not the 90 or 150?
I really would like to use these chips since I have a few lying around.

Many thanks.
 



#2 Javaman OFFLINE  

Javaman

    Space Invader

  • Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • Location:CT, USA

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:11 PM

I fixed my problem. Sounds strange but by disconnecting the ground wire from the ground pin of the eeprom all glitches & flickering disappeared. It had nothing to do with the inverter or speed of the chips. All my Atmel and AMD eeproms work perfectly without a ground wire attached. I even tried this on my handmade 8k multicart based on the pixelspast schematic. That also works better now. Maybe someone has an explanation but I'm glad to have it working.



#3 electrotrains OFFLINE  

electrotrains

    Moonsweeper

  • 300 posts
  • Location:Scotland

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:51 AM

Javaman,

 

Are you using a decoupling (0.1uF) capacitor across the +5V/GND of the EEPROMs? I had similar issues when developing a multicart for the atari 8-bit.

On a breadboard, I also found that I sometimes also needed an additional 10uF capacitor too.

 

Robin



#4 Javaman OFFLINE  

Javaman

    Space Invader

  • Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • Location:CT, USA

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:45 PM

Javaman,

 

Are you using a decoupling (0.1uF) capacitor across the +5V/GND of the EEPROMs? I had similar issues when developing a multicart for the atari 8-bit.

On a breadboard, I also found that I sometimes also needed an additional 10uF capacitor too.

 

Robin

 

Yes, I had the 0.1uf cap connected to the 5v & GND pins. Honestly, I tried it both with and without the cap & never noticed a difference.

It was only after removing the wire from eeprom GND pin to the GND on the cart that my problem was fixed.

 

I still have the decoupling cap but it's connected to 5V on the eeprom with the other leg directly to ground on the cart. Nothing connected to GND on the eeprom.



#5 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

    As Above

  • 18,743 posts
  • So Below

Posted Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:56 AM

pictures?



#6 Javaman OFFLINE  

Javaman

    Space Invader

  • Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • Location:CT, USA

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:33 PM

pictures?

 

First one is the bank switching cart based on the PixelsPast schematic. EEPROM on top, GAL20V8B underneath.
Got a bit messy tearing it down looking for the original problem. A jungle of wires but amazingly it all fits inside the case.

I added extra DIP switches so I could turn on/off the address lines depending on whether there's a F8/F6/F4 GAL in the socket

or just running a chip with 2k/4k games. Game selection just uses one DIP. They hold 128k so its (32) 4k games or (16) 8k games, etc.

The second board is the first I made. It's a 2k/4k with inverter for chip enable plus an LED just for fun.

Attached Thumbnails

  • multicart_pic4.jpg
  • multicart_pic3.jpg
  • multicart_pic2.jpg
  • cart1_a1.jpg
  • cart1_a2.jpg






Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multicart, eeprom, homebrew, diy

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users