IGNORED

My "new" Atari 5200!

edladdin

Just a quick post to show off my new 5200, which arrived from ebay a couple weeks ago. This was very exciting, as I had not played a 5200 since my original 4-porter disappeared while I was at college in the late 80's, when my folks moved to another house. This one is a 2 port console and it came with a Trak-ball, four joysticks, a joystick coupler, and 19 carts. Surprisingly, many of the overlays were present with the carts.

So far we have 100% performance on everything but the joysticks, where one is fully functional, one is "stick only" and the other two are DOA. As such, mostly I have been playing Space Dungeon and Trak-ball games. I never had the Trak-ball as a kid and boy is it awesome. Really having a lot of fun with Galaxian, Missile Command, and Centipede in particular. In fact, I think playing Galaxian with a joystick is pretty well ruined for me now.

The other thing that impressed me was what a nice package both the console and Trak-ball present sitting on the shelf where my little collection is on display... Sitting side-by-side with a Coleco Roller Controller, the Coleco has a giant wad of wires to deal with, while the Atari Trak-ball winds up so neatly with everything out of sight. Love that elegance of design, though The Bride sure did a double-take when she saw this console sitting next to the 7800, which looks so small in comparison! :-)

Life is good!

post-40253-0-18585300-1435778420_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-24130600-1435778927_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-92360900-1435778928_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Yup, it's a good looking console (and I see the trak-ball still has the protective strip on the bezel). I'm glad you're having fun with it. There are a lot of great games for the 5200, and it looks like you have quite a few of them! I have an Atari 8-bit computer, with which this system's library has a wide overlap, but the 5200 versions are my favorites in most cases. As you noticed, the 5200 trak-ball is awesome and really improves many of the games. The 5200 version of Star Raiders is also the best ever produced, IMO.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Yup, it's a good looking console (and I see the trak-ball still has the protective strip on the bezel). I'm glad you're having fun with it. There are a lot of great games for the 5200, and it looks like you have quite a few of them! I have an Atari 8-bit computer, with which this system's library has a wide overlap, but the 5200 versions are my favorites in most cases. As you noticed, the 5200 trak-ball is awesome and really improves many of the games. The 5200 version of Star Raiders is also the best ever produced, IMO.

Have fun!

Funny thing about the protective strip on the Trak-ball bezel... I was about to pull that off and The Bride announced "it looks prettier in red"! And thus we will have our protective strip for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Admittedly, I'm jealous of the trak ball. I got one as well but it's "wiggy." It pulls to the right slightly all the time.

I tried popping it open and fixing it but it didnt completely fix the issue. I want to try and fix it again.

Its such a crapshoot buying anything on ebay... It might work great, it might work "with issues", or it might be a paperweight.

Just a quick post to show off my new 5200, which arrived from ebay a couple weeks ago. This was very exciting, as I had not played a 5200 since my original 4-porter disappeared while I was at college in the late 80's, when my folks moved to another house. This one is a 2 port console and it came with a Trak-ball, four joysticks, a joystick coupler, and 19 carts. Surprisingly, many of the overlays were present with the carts.

So far we have 100% performance on everything but the joysticks, where one is fully functional, one is "stick only" and the other two are DOA. As such, mostly I have been playing Space Dungeon and Trak-ball games. I never had the Trak-ball as a kid and boy is it awesome. Really having a lot of fun with Galaxian, Missile Command, and Centipede in particular. In fact, I think playing Galaxian with a joystick is pretty well ruined for me now.

The other thing that impressed me was what a nice package both the console and Trak-ball present sitting on the shelf where my little collection is on display... Sitting side-by-side with a Coleco Roller Controller, the Coleco has a giant wad of wires to deal with, while the Atari Trak-ball winds up so neatly with everything out of sight. Love that elegance of design, though The Bride sure did a double-take when she saw this console sitting next to the 7800, which looks so small in comparison! :-)

Life is good!

Cool! - will give you a plug on the Atari 5200 Super Podcast :) about your pickup and the custom controllers you build for the 7800 and such :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the wild wacky land of the Atari 5200. Get the right controllers for the right games and you'll begin to really appreciate it. Glad to hear the Trackball works. My 1st one didn't, but the second does work (got it up in Chicago at a video game store in 2013)... Having one of these makes it a stellar arcade experience on Centipede and Missile Command especially. I'm going to have to try it on Galaxian... sounds great :)

• Like 1

Admittedly, I'm jealous of the trak ball. I got one as well but it's "wiggy." It pulls to the right slightly all the time.

I tried popping it open and fixing it but it didnt completely fix the issue. I want to try and fix it again.

Hmmm, the problem may not be with the trackball, but with the 5200 itself. See the below thread for tips on how to adjust the control pot:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/181930-my-5200-is-acting-kinda-strange/?p=2280867&hl=calibration%20pot&fromsearch=1&do=findComment&comment=2280867

Cool! - will give you a plug on the Atari 5200 Super Podcast :) about your pickup and the custom controllers you build for the 7800 and such :)

That's awesome! Thank you very much!!! I have to admit that hearing you and RK talk about the greatness of the Trak-Ball a few weeks ago tipped me over the edge as far as preceding with getting back into that system. I was trying to put it off... As you know, I have been under the hood of the Colecovision for the last couple months and have been focused on getting that project to the finish line... But you made it sound so sweet that I had to leap when I found an auction with both a Trak-ball and a Joystick coupler in the mix.

I have been itching to write you guys an email but wanted to have something more interesting to say besides just "back in the day" memories. If nothing else I need to give a huge shout out to whomever selects the music for the show. My "day job" is building vibroacoustic sound therapy systems for people/businesses and I can tell you... That main Atari 5200 Super Podcast theme would be OFF THE HOOK on one of my tables! Here's a link to our promo video, in case anyone is wondering what those systems look like:

Hopefully its ok to post that here. Definitely not trying to spam up the works!

• Like 3

That's awesome! Thank you very much!!! I have to admit that hearing you and RK talk about the greatness of the Trak-Ball a few weeks ago tipped me over the edge as far as preceding with getting back into that system. I was trying to put it off... As you know, I have been under the hood of the Colecovision for the last couple months and have been focused on getting that project to the finish line... But you made it sound so sweet that I had to leap when I found an auction with both a Trak-ball and a Joystick coupler in the mix.

I have been itching to write you guys an email but wanted to have something more interesting to say besides just "back in the day" memories. If nothing else I need to give a huge shout out to whomever selects the music for the show. My "day job" is building vibroacoustic sound therapy systems for people/businesses and I can tell you... That main Atari 5200 Super Podcast theme would be OFF THE HOOK on one of my tables! Here's a link to our promo video, in case anyone is wondering what those systems look like:

Hopefully its ok to post that here. Definitely not trying to spam up the works!

I made a promo audio clip for the podcast :)

edladdinpromo.mp3

• Like 3

Wow, that is wonderful! I am really blown away! Thanks so much for doing that!

Edladdin,

You might want to partake in 3 Atari based Facebook groups. Since you like the 5200 Trak-Ball so much [and rightfully so!], its creator Dan Kramer participates in all three groups. He's quite a resource when it comes to advice on how to clean, maintain, and repair the Trak-Ball. He's also sold replacement "Atari" strips for the Trak-Ball signed by him [looks pretty cool].

Here's the groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/trakbombers/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1071190119564807/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7800ProSystemGamers/

On a side note, the 7800 group would be of interest because your wares are mentioned quite a bit there, especially the Genesis controller-to-7800 adapter as a viable option to those pining over how much they'd like to have the Atari Euro 7800 Game Pads and link over to some rip-off eBay auction for them.

I've been wondering about that 5200 trackball. I have never seen one in person... do you pretty much need to use it on a table top? Or is it reasonably comfortable on the lap?

It's rather large IMHO for a controller, but very sturdy and big enough to be comfortable in you lap. The track ball is actually a standard billiard cue ball. ;)

• Like 1

I've been wondering about that 5200 trackball. I have never seen one in person... do you pretty much need to use it on a table top? Or is it reasonably comfortable on the lap?

For me I place it on my lap or on the floor. It's a sturdy beast and never moves around. They are awesome to have and a must have if you own a 5200.

• Like 1