IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

How can I manipulate the flasher ATR on a PC?

The makeATR tool does not support 720kB ATRs :(

If you have a hex editor on the PC. Open the atr and edit the 21 to a 20 and then Makeatr will open the atr...

It is not the size that is stopping Makeatr just the File type 21 needs to be 20..

post-10165-0-33953300-1460103644_thumb.png

post-10165-0-45020500-1460103983_thumb.png

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 1

Incognito works fine for me, Thanks. :)

Note that the fix only affected the stand-alone SIDE cart loader, but it's good to know the Incognito loader is working. ;)

Everything's working normally!

Good - thanks. I'll upload this version to the website.

Thanks, it helped.

Do you know what does the "File Type" number mean?

It's actually the SpartaDOS file system (SDFS) revision number in the boot sector. SDX versions 4.4 onwards put $21 here, but it appears MakeATR only recognizes revision $20 and under.

Altirra's disk explorer is the most convenient way (IMO) of editing these ATRs (indeed, Altirra was used to create them).

• Like 1

Thank you Jon for your generosity to the Atari 8-bit community. It really is wonderful when people such as yourself, that have the knowledge and talent, give freely of their time and effort so that we all can benefit. It's good when people help one another in the ways that they can. I'm sure I don't just speak for myself when I say that the A8 community very much appreciates the ways in which you are able to help. :thumbsup:

As a side note to this very nice post, I'll observe that Jon does have a donate button on his website.....

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Another UFLASH update, this time improving support for PCLINK.SYS in the file selector and allowing default logged devices other than DSK: (supported by the forthcoming SDX 4.48):

attachicon.gifuflash_v.1.24.zip

Jon,

Has any one else reported problems with the flasher trying to enter another folder from default. TO update a rom slot??

By the way It did not happen with the emulator[ALTIRRIA] just real hard ware, and might be my fat fingering .. I CDed into the folder with the correct rom and then called uflash and this worked.

Just tested the latest UFLASH with SDX 4.47 on real hardware and I can't duplicate a problem entering a folder on PCL: using the file selector. Can you reproduce?

OK I got a problem with updating to the new bios. So here's the scenario...

I have a U-1Meg with the much older bios in it (I think it is pre any of FJC's versions, probably Candle's). Anyway I downloaded the latest zipped Alt-bios file from FJC's site, unzipped it, moved the ROM and UFLASH files into a SpartaDos formatted ATR, and then booted up the computer with SIO2PC-USB pointing to that ATR. SDX loads up from the U-1Meg, and I can directory that ATR, so far so good. Next I reboot the computer with HELP held down, entering the U-1Meg config menu, proceed to select 1088k RAMBO for memory, SDX enabled, and all other hardware disabled. I save it ('S' key), and quit ('Q' key) which reloads SDX. Now I load UFLASH.XEX...

I get the following message: Cannot identify hardware. Select manually? OK or CANCEL

I hit Return for OK and this brings up a Select Device sub menu, with Ultimate 1MB at the top of the list. I leave that highlighted, and use the TAB key to put me at OK, and then I hit the Return key which simply brings up the same "Cannot identify hardware" I saw before. I try it all again, but keep coming back to the same message (going around in circles). So I TAB'ed to CANCEL and hit Return which bails me out of the message window and a list scrolls into place with a 'No Device' header, although it appears to be listing everything that is in my U-1Meg.

So I'm kind of stuck. Would love to proceed with the re-flash, but can't.

Anyone have a clue as to what I am doing wrong?

- Michael

Any others carts/ROMs present? I assume you're using the version of UFLASH included in the BIOS archive. The BIOS on your board may be so old that the flasher can't pick up any signature info at all, and it may no longer handle this scenario so well. It's becoming a pain managing both generations of firmware...

Don't suppose you can post a dump of the whole ROM? Might be useful to see what's happening.

• Like 1

Hi Jon :) ,

I got this particular U-1Meg from a friend. He did configure it with various ROMs. So here's the list I'm seeing...

XL/XE OS1: Warp OS

XL/XE OS2: Multiplexer

XL/XE OS3: Q-Meg OS

XL/XE OS4: Stock OS

BASIC SLOT1: BASIC

BASIC SLOT2: Assembler

BASIC SLOT3: Defender

BASIC SLOT4: CAR3

XEGS SLOT1: Missle Command

XEGS SLOT2: River Raid

XEGS SLOT3: Defender

XEGS SLOT4: CAR 3

How would I go about doing a dump of the ROM as you requested?

BTW, this board is installed on an XEGS.

- Michael

EDIT: yes I'm using the UFLASH from within the zipped archive I just got off of your site today.

Edited by mytekcontrols

You could try highlighting the chip name right at the top of the list and choosing dump slot from the menu (or pressing D). That ought to let you write the whole 512KB to a file.

Here you go: MY.ROM

- Michael

EDIT: Pretty friggin slick BTW :thumbsup:

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

I can see what's happening here. Previously, when manually selecting the device the program just went along with your choice, but now that there are two different revisions of the firmware, it still probes for signature information even following a manual override. Very old firmware with no signature information of any kind fails all the tests. I'll have to code around this... should get a fix sorted tomorrow.

• Like 2

Here you go: attachicon.gifMY.ROM

- Michael

EDIT: Pretty friggin slick BTW :thumbsup:

I stuck the rom into Altirria and did the bios, loader, PBI, and Myversion of the latest SDX447.rom

MY.ROM

I left all the other config. stuff for you to play with..

Good Luck

PS I would get rid of all the OS roms except the Stock OS. The others are not PBI compliant. And you have my version of Atari Basic. The reason I say this is that The rom is going into an XEGS.

Find and use Hias Hi Speed rom. as one of your OS slots.

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 4

I can see what's happening here. Previously, when manually selecting the device the program just went along with your choice, but now that there are two different revisions of the firmware, it still probes for signature information even following a manual override. Very old firmware with no signature information of any kind fails all the tests. I'll have to code around this... should get a fix sorted tomorrow.

Sounds good. So with that in mind, should I use rdea's ROM? And if so, will that fix things?

Note: I have the prompt up that says "Completely rewrite flash ROM? Slot descriptions will be lost. OK CANCEL". So keep in mind that this is my first time using UFLASH (should I take the red pill or the blue pill :-o).

I stuck the rom into Altirria and did the bios, loader, PBI, and Myversion of the latest SDX447.rom

attachicon.gifMY.ROM

I left all the other config. stuff for you to play with..

Good Luck

PS I would get rid of all the OS roms except the Stock OS. The others are not PBI compliant. And you have my version of Atari Basic. The reason I say this is that The rom is going into an XEGS.

Find and use Hias Hi Speed rom. as one of your OS slots.

Thank you for doing that :).

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

I used this latest updater and the 2016/04 Incognito Firmware Package from http://atari8.co.uk/firmware/incognito to update my Incognito on an NTSC 800.

The XL self-test no longer executes the sound test correctly. Is that expected behaviour or did I miss a step?

This is my first time trying to flash the Incognito using the uflash tool.

Edited by oracle_jedi