IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

I have been (beta)testing this for a while and I must say to other people: you really have to try this version. This live search version is outstanding. It is actually very cool to see the live results grow (including the live adjusting scrollbar-size).

Next to that it is very handy to be able to move with one click to the directory where the searched file is located.

I have a folder for tools, games, demo's and as soon as I searched for let's say DOS... I hit CTRL-F and I within a split second I'm in the folder with all my tools, where I can select whatever I want.

As other people probably know, I'm and probably always will be more a fan of external solutions... but thanks to the excellent work of FJC the Ultimate 1MB is a serious a likely candidate for me to chose for an U1MB atari as my main machine.

• Like 4

There is a "Boot to loader" option in the main BIOS. Did you enable that?

No that's disabled in both profiles. After flashing back to uload120 I am seeing the same behavior of not being able to avoid booting the loader at times, even though it should not be loading.

The only reliable way to break out of the unwanted loader booting (once it decides to do this it seems rather adamant about staying that way) seems to be switching/rebooting back and forth between the 2 profiles (first one SDX/PBI/bells/whistles, second one stock OS and expanded memory only).

The only reliable way to break out of the unwanted loader booting (once it decides to do this it seems rather adamant about staying that way) seems to be switching/rebooting back and forth between the 2 profiles (first one SDX/PBI/bells/whistles, second one stock OS and expanded memory only).

Exactly how are you rebooting the machine? Note that jumping into the main BIOS and then leaving via the Escape or Reset key will simply result in ending up back where you came from. Pressing "C" to cold boot or "B" to save settings and reboot is the preferred method from the BIOS menu. You can also set up Select+Reset as an OS coldstart shortcut, so I'm interested to know the exact scenario.

Meanwhile, I had accidentally broken browsing while searching, so here's a quick fix:

uload126.zip

• Like 3

B when exiting BIOS, I've also tried Select+Reset for coldstart (it's setup) as well when it gets 'stuck'

I'm trying to find a reliably repeatable way to cause it to get stuck but no luck so far.

Which main BIOS version are you on? Is SDX enabled or off? The loader is basically part of the internal cart ROM (like SDX), and the main BIOS manages which bank appears at boot time, and carefully avoids touching the banking register when SDX is off and the loader isn't being invoked. So if there's a bug there - although I never saw any issue before - we need to know about it.

Request:

If first search key gets no response to search auto backspace and wait for new first key OR after timeout auto backspace wait for new key.

Are you proposing that search mode is completely cancelled if there are no results, or just that the last character of the search string is automatically trimmed off until some search results appear? We certainly can't drop out of search mode completely if there are no matches, since all it may take is a press of the delete key to shorten the string and bring up some results. And automatic truncation of the search string may be a little disconcerting.

Anyway: sorry if I'm not grasping the idea properly, and I'm glad you like it so far. ;)

Which main BIOS version are you on? Is SDX enabled or off? The loader is basically part of the internal cart ROM (like SDX), and the main BIOS manages which bank appears at boot time, and carefully avoids touching the banking register when SDX is off and the loader isn't being invoked. So if there's a bug there - although I never saw any issue before - we need to know about it.

I'm using the 91216 packages with the only change being the loader.

So the machines been off all night and was left on Profile 2, I just booted it and it went right into the loader again..

--

Profile 1 - 1088K Rambo / Hi Speed OS / regular Basic / SDX enabled / boot to loader disabled / PBI enabled device 2, boot D3: / HSIO enabled D1-D4

Profile 2 - 320K Rambo / Hi Speed OS / regular Basic / SDX disabled / boot to loader disabled / PBI disabled

System full specs: 1200XL / U1MB / SIDE2 (with uload120) w 2GB CF / UAV / internal APE USB

You sure you're not booting right into the SIDE2's loader? This will naturally happen if the PBI is off (since the SIDE2 is then basically a standard cartridge with the XEX loader on it). I can reproduce that all day long in Altirra, and it's intended behaviour.

Edited by flashjazzcat

You sure you're not booting right into the SIDE2's loader? This will naturally happen if the PBI is off (since the SIDE2 is then basically a standard cartridge with the XEX loader on it). I can reproduce that all day long in Altirra, and it's intended behaviour.

If that's the case forgive my ridiculous interruption.. :D

I don't recall it happening like that before, but I'm not an everyday A8 user and the old memory isn't exactly getting better :)

• Like 1

Profile 2 - 320K Rambo / Hi Speed OS / regular Basic / SDX disabled / boot to loader disabled / PBI disabled

I have this as my Profile 2 also, but if I have an SIO device available and disk/atr inserted as drive one I get D1: to boot usually for MyDos. But no SIO device and I get the side Loader.

• 1 month later...

Firmware update for Ultimate 1MB, Incognito, SIDE, and SIDE2

Following on from the upgrade to the new SIDE Loader and the release of the disk-based version, I'm happy to present a complete firmware update for all the above devices. The update includes the enhanced loader and small updates to the main BIOS and PBI BIOS.

Notable changes include:

• Loader search facility which scans the entire directory tree from the current logged directory down while allowing free movement through the results list while the search is being performed
  • Scroll bars in the loader
  • 'BASIC' metatag support allowing silent enabling of internal BASIC when loading XEX files and booting ATRs
  • The ability to rotate ATR sets direct from the loader
  • Auto-repeating joystick gestures (i.e. actions performed by moving the joystick with the trigger held down) in both the loader and main BIOS menu
  • Type-ahead keyboard buffer in the loader
  • New disk-based version of the loader (for SIDE only - no Incognito version just yet)
  • Rapidus plugin for Ultimate 1MB (allows control of Rapidus core loading and VBXE core flashing)
  • SIO2BT-only mode (allows use of SIO2BT without high-speed SIO polling)
  • Revised documentation

Ultimate 1MB firmware update

Incognito firmware update

SIDE/SIDE2 firmware update

Please let me know about any issues. While further feature requests will be considered, I'd like to think of this as more or less the "final" release and focus on eliminating any problems, most of which will probably show up in the loader as time goes on, since that component has been subject to the most significant changes.

Enjoy.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 24

This is totally unbelievable for me... FJC writes AMAZING new bios, releases best release ever... it is IN NO WAY comparable to the original rather incomplete original BIOS and the guy receives less than 10 likes?

Wtf is going on here on AtariAge?

Thanks for the reminder ;) I had downloaded yesterday, but still haven't gotten around to flashing it (my stuff is at the shop and I had to hang out at my home all day for a package delivery). I guess I had the silly notion of 'liking' it after trying it first. But hey you are absolutely correct that Jon deserves better for all that he has done and continues to do for this community. And fantastic stuff it is :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

FJC is the MAN :D

- Michael

• Like 2

hmm, i have problem with demo 48h (real HW)

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=6245

i dont know if is problem with loader, or demo..

Seems to work OK here, but on the other hand I don't know what kind of issue I'm looking for.

My 4MB CPU Upgraded machine does not seem to like the side loaders for the Side/Side2, but this Atari 800XL is mostly used with the IDE+20 products.

Can you expand on "does not seem to like"?

Edited by flashjazzcat

This is totally unbelievable for me... FJC writes AMAZING new bios, releases best release ever... it is IN NO WAY comparable to the original rather incomplete original BIOS and the guy receives less than 10 likes?

Wtf is going on here on AtariAge?

I am new to the board but already It seems to me that there is a small group of people here who follow every new bit of software/hardware with certain enthusiasm, the rest seem to be more casual. Maybe that's the reason.

• Like 2