Ultimate 1MB Incognito APT PBI

1443 replies to this topic

#1426 piomet OFFLINE  

piomet

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 12:12 AM

Hi!

I have mounted Lotharek's Covox on the board.It's a great piece of  hardware, but I'm switching covox to disabled in ultimate setup and covox still works. Any ideas?

#1427 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,916 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 2:33 AM

No idea. I don't have a Lotharek Covox to test. But the Covox is not detectable in software, so I have to assume the hardware is not compatible with the switching method used by the plugin. I believe it works with Candle's Covox.

But as I say: without hardware, can't test.

#1428 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,579 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 2:41 AM

isn't the range on some selected but jumper, or perhaps use the control line for a switcher... they made some ready to go socket pcb using control line from u1m yes?

#1429 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,916 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 3:21 AM

Yes: it's possible the device isn't installed correctly. I can't remember the Covox signal pin off-hand but I'm sure it's in the firmware manual.

#1430 piomet OFFLINE  

piomet

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 3:28 AM

Instalation of this covox is very simple. :) in my opinion. It's socketed under PIA. I've no idea what  goes wrong.

I've another one problem. Maybe somebody could help me. I connected covox and pokey to one output and sound on amp is very distorted. Separately it's all ok.
Now to play covox/pokey I must switch cable to two joints.

Edited by piomet, Fri Nov 9, 2018 3:37 AM.

#1431 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,579 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:26 AM

Connections to be made with small wires:

• CTRL - pin 9 LS138 on Atari board

O2 signal problems:

• on majority of ATARIs middle and RIGHT pins of JP1 connector shall be jumpered / connected. No further actions required
  • or
  • if your sound is distorted, remove the jumper, then connect RIGHT pin of JP1 to CPU pin 39

If still a problem post pictures

Edited by _The Doctor__, Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:32 AM.

#1432 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,916 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:35 AM

Just looked at Lotharek's product page, and interestingly enough it makes no mention of Ultimate 1MB at all, let alone whether or how the Covox can be toggled under software control. :) In any case: the default BIOS plugin's Covox toggle is on pin M1 (Stereo being on M0). This is a logic high/low signal and the firmware does not perform any 'are you there' tests on the device at the other end of the wire, since Covox has no signature bytes and cannot be detected in software. I don't even know if this board decodes at the same address as Candle's board (there are several possible address ranges). If it's possible to support this board, I'll be more than happy to create a plugin for it.

EDIT: LS138 pin 9 = 0xD6xx, so that gives us a clue about the decoding address.

Edited by flashjazzcat, Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:41 AM.

#1433 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,579 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:40 AM

I couldn't see the traces in the picture to see what jumper pin would be used to toggle it. I wish he'd post more info on what he's selling. but at least you can get a distortion fix from my post.

#1434 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,916 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:43 AM

I have emailed Lotharek with a list of questions. :) It may be that the device is completely missing an on/off pin.

Edited by flashjazzcat, Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:44 AM.

#1435 piomet OFFLINE  

piomet

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:51 AM

I couldn't see the traces in the picture to see what jumper pin would be used to toggle it. I wish he'd post more info on what he's selling. but at least you can get a distortion fix from my post.

Connections I've made are correct for sure. I've connected covox to cpu pin39, too for check the difference. But distorted sound is only when  pokey and covox outs are connected together to common amp input. It looks like covox signal is stronger than pokey. I've tried to put resistors on covox out but it doesn't helps.I'm not enough strong in electronic to know how to  fix that.

Edited by piomet, Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:57 AM.

#1436 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,916 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 4:55 AM

Yep: no facility to disable Covox in software with this board, confirmed. Apparently no reason could be conceived why one would want to turn it off, although Candle seems to have thought it worth including.

So: please don't expect that U1MB's Covox menu option (either original or new firmware) is going to do anything with this board: it won't.

#1437 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,579 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 10:46 AM

sad very sad. Oh well, scratching that one off the list. post picture of install, add a resistor or diode on wire to amp. It may lower threshold or provide some isolation. very odd.

other choice fix Phi 2 with faster buffer chip like is done to almost all other pbi/noise/cart/bus issues

#1438 piomet OFFLINE  

piomet

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 12:51 PM

sad very sad. Oh well, scratching that one off the list. post picture of install, add a resistor or diode on wire to amp. It may lower threshold or provide some isolation. very odd.

other choice fix Phi 2 with faster buffer chip like is done to almost all other pbi/noise/cart/bus issues

What kind of diode should I wire?

Edited by piomet, Fri Nov 9, 2018 12:51 PM.

#1439 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,579 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 3:11 PM

my order of attack is always

1. phi fix   (works great, if not then 2) but leave this installed

2. resistor ( i don't bother calculation any more, I just hook up a pot and turn till the issue goes away, then I read the value and run with it. If it fails to help I move on to #3

3. if all else fails diode. fastest kind I find in the drawer with the lowest voltage drop...  I start with bat 1n5 1n8 and work towards 1n4... i pick the one with just enough drop to make things happy but is still fast enough not to kill things.

Phi fix is almost always cure what ails the machine, resistors adjust levels, diodes protect or isolate. Since I do not have your machine or boards we can only provide whats worked for related issues and ask you try these it only helps but what is correct sometimes involves a small experiment. like use a pot instead of a calculator to fine what resistor to use..

Since we all love tech talk, usually picking darlington transistors are the way to go for video or noise issues in video and some circuits.

Edited by _The Doctor__, Fri Nov 9, 2018 3:12 PM.

#1440 piomet OFFLINE  

piomet

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:06 PM

I added resistors 30k on covox l/r out, and sound is quite ok by covox and pokeys There's a little hum noise from genuine atari audio circuit. But it's evident I think on majority stock Atari.

#1441 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,579 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:39 PM

glad it helped!

with this combination, could be isolation issue. ground loop or noisy power supply...

Edited by _The Doctor__, Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:41 PM.

#1442 piomet OFFLINE  

piomet

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:58 PM

Yeah, My Atari has really spaghetti wiring inside. Ultimate, Sio2SD, TKII stereo, Sophia and Covox. All packed in ITXcase. Thanks a lot for yours help!!!

#1443 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Dragonstomper

• 719 posts

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:54 AM

I have mounted Lotharek's Covox on the board.It's a great piece of  hardware, but I'm switching covox to disabled in ultimate setup and covox still works. Any ideas?

As already mentioned, Covox can´t be detected by software. It uses 4 bytes of address space and uses typically the addresses $0280 or $D600. Covox switching on/off is only possible with the Stereoboard made by Candle.

#1444 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,916 posts

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:33 AM

As already mentioned, Covox can´t be detected by software. It uses 4 bytes of address space and uses typically the addresses $0280 or $D600. Covox switching on/off is only possible with the Stereoboard made by Candle.

Covox can't be detected in software, so its presence has to be assumed, which is the exact reason I implemented a system of plug-ins for the U1MB BIOS (if there's no Covox on the machine, omit Covox switching entirely). But not being detectable in software does not preclude switching. The device simply needs a logic switch which can be connected to U1MB's M1 pin. Alternatively, some hidden register accessible via an unlock sequence could be supported by a plug-in. But I really don't know how important or otherwise it is to be able to turn Covox on and off anyway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ultimate 1MB, Incognito, APT, PBI

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users