IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

I'm not sure how you mean. Candle's SimpleStereo is controlled directly by P4/M1 on the Ultimate board. Lotharek's Dual Pokey requires a U-Switch board to turn logic 0/1 into a substitute for a mechanical switch. The effect is identical: turning the second Pokey on and off.

Let me rephrase; when "System->Audio->Stereo" is enabled in "Altirra" I see under "System Clock and Features" that "Stereo Pokey" is enabled. However, the actual sound I get is over the left channel only, nothing on the right. However, from my experience - of Lotharek's version of "SimpleStereo" at least - the mod should still output balanced mono from both L&R even when explicit, separated Left and Right channel sound is not being generated.

No idea, I'm afraid. As long as the Stereo Pokey BIOS option sets P4/M0 correctly, I'm happy. ;)

Fair enough - I guess it might be a problem with the 'test 18' of "Altirra". I'll make a post over there in a moment.

The last thing I will mention here is - while the "Stereo Pokey" enabled/disabled state does correctly reflect the option in "Altirra"s 'System->Audio->Stereo' setting, the actual item itself is greyed in the BIOS menu. Therefore I cannot actually use it to turn 'on' or 'off' the simulated mod. I have attached a picture of the screen. On the real hardware perhaps this will enable?

post-31546-0-77762500-1437075641_thumb.jpg

Let me rephrase; when "System->Audio->Stereo" is enabled in "Altirra" I see under "System Clock and Features" that "Stereo Pokey" is enabled. However, the actual sound I get is over the left channel only, nothing on the right. However, from my experience - of Lotharek's version of "SimpleStereo" at least - the mod should still output balanced mono from both L&R even when explicit, separated Left and Right channel sound is not being generated.

Any stereo mod I have used behaves that way. Original pokey is left, and 2nd pokey is right. I have not used the Lotharek module, but I have never used a mod which did balanced mono when using just one pokey.

Any stereo mod I have used behaves that way. Original pokey is left, and 2nd pokey is right. I have not used the Lotharek module, but I have never used a mod which did balanced mono when using just one pokey.

When enabled, but only outputting normal system and mono-game sounds they only gave one channel?

The last thing I will mention here is - while the "Stereo Pokey" enabled/disabled state does correctly reflect the option in "Altirra"s 'System->Audio->Stereo' setting, the actual item itself is greyed in the BIOS menu. Therefore I cannot actually use it to turn 'on' or 'off' the simulated mod. I have attached a picture of the screen. On the real hardware perhaps this will enable?

Use of the four bits controlling the four pins of the P4 header is completely arbitrary: that's why I implemented plugins so their use could be changed. Altirra doesn't connect pin M0 of P4 to stereo enable/disable and there's really no need for it to do so, given you can control stereo using the emulator settings.

The Stereo Pokey option in the BIOS will only control your stereo board if it's connected up to pin M0 as I explained earlier (directly if it's one of Candle's stereo boards, or via U-Switch if it's one of Lotharek's). If you don't have it connected, the option will be greyed out as per your picture. If you have stereo present and it is not under Ultimate 1MB's control, the hardware status should be accurately represented in the "System Information" menu.

Use of the four bits controlling the four pins of the P4 header is completely arbitrary: that's why I implemented plugins so their use could be changed. Altirra doesn't connect pin M0 of P4 to stereo enable/disable and there's really no need for it to do so, given you can control stereo using the emulator settings.

The Stereo Pokey option in the BIOS will only control your stereo board if it's connected up to pin M0 as I explained earlier (directly if it's one of Candle's stereo boards, or via U-Switch if it's one of Lotharek's). If you don't have it connected, the option will be greyed out as per your picture. If you have stereo present and it is not under Ultimate 1MB's control, the hardware status should be accurately represented in the "System Information" menu.

That makes sense!

Interesting!

Whatever the case it clearly isn't the "Ultimate1MB"'s fault one way or the other, however I'm wondering if you have an older version as this is directly from Lotharek's site:

Main features :

- GTIA sound mixing on both channnels

- Dual Mono/STEREO switch

- Stereo Indicator Led

- high quality PCB

I took the second item to mean when off then balanced mono on both channels, but when on one pokey in to each channel.

Hi Jon

Quick possible bug report. I'm on real hardware and I'm seeing odd results with the cold reset (SELECT+RESET) function. If I hit select+reset the system resets to a blank black screen. Hitting reset on it's own at that screen will bring the system back but not perform a cold reset. Instead I get back to an SDX with TDline running and a C:> prompt, oddly my custom margin settings are gone.

I've tested with shift as the reset modifier and it shows the same behaviour.

Cheers

Paul

EDIT: I've just found that if I hit any key (seemingly) on the blank screen the system then boots!

Edited by spookt

Quick possible bug report. I'm on real hardware and I'm seeing odd results with the cold reset (SELECT+RESET) function.

Thanks Paul: I'll have a look at that. Haven't tested that in a while so perhaps something's broken. Sounds like it ends up sitting in a keyboard polling loop somehow.

That's a CIO read-only error. What was the default drive ID before you switched to D1:, and is there any device attached? UFlash catalogues the SDX logged drive by default. Were you trying to save to the PBI HDD? Is global HDD write-protect enabled? Is the partition's lock flag set?

Edited by flashjazzcat

Jon,

I can't even get it to read FDISK or The Last Word this is with a SIDE2.. My SIDE1 cartridge works okay... So it seems that this 800XL doesn't like the SIDE2... APTDEV reports ok APTDISK reads the partitions CHECKAPT preforms ok Just Fdisk not finding an APT

Not a big deal this 800XL is usually in storage and I can always use the SIDE1 cartridge with it.. I was just busy getting the new BIOS AND PBI 13 installed and I was able to do that..

Jon,

I can't even get it to read FDISK or The Last Word this is with a SIDE2.. My SIDE1 cartridge works okay... So it seems that this 800XL doesn't like the SIDE2... APTDEV reports ok APTDISK reads the partitions CHECKAPT preforms ok Just Fdisk not finding an APT

Not a big deal this 800XL is usually in storage and I can always use the SIDE1 cartridge with it.. I was just busy getting the new BIOS AND PBI 13 installed and I was able to do that..

That sounds suspiciously familiar... You might want to swap out the "SN74LS08N" IC or replace it altogether with an "SN74F08N" unit.