IGNORED

Atari 5200 - what did I get myself into?

Amityville315

I think I need some expert help here.

As I've recently posted, I picked up a 5200 (2 of them actually) and I am having the hardest time getting either of them up and running to play. I just drove 2.5 hours to get what was promised to be a "working controller" but when I got it home it was just like the rest... It needed to be opened and cleaned.

Over the last few weeks Ive tried a bunch of things but one problem seems to just lead to another. Both systems seem to work, but I cant seem to even enjoy a single game without a controller breaking down and I've got SEVEN of them now!!

Is there some basic things I am missing here? Is there anyone in the Massachusetts area that I could have look at what I have to help me getting it running properly??

Seriously a bit frustrated at this point. Out of seven controllers you'd think at least one would work.

The 5200 controller design is infamously problematic. I own every system that Atari released, and I'm very comfortable with the idea of opening and servicing the controllers for any one of them ... except the 5200, because those joysticks are just too much of a pain. Best Electronics has made a number of improvements to the design, including gold contact pads for the action buttons and keyboard, and it truly makes a huge difference. When I got into the 5200, I was aware of the problems with the controllers, so I got some of Best's controllers right away so I wouldn't have to deal with them. I believe they also accept 5200 controllers for trade-in if you're interested in getting yours refurbished.

• Like 1

what's not working on the controller specifically

they indeed are very finicky ....

clean button contacts with a high percentage rubbing alcohol (90% or higher)

reassembling .... the potentiometers @ 9 o'clock (top) & 6 o'clock positions(bottom)

some pics here ... http://atariage.com/forums/topic/149614-atari-5200-analogue-controller-repair/

I'm in Southern Maine feel free to shoot me a PM ;)

Just like Jaybird said. When owning a 5200, you have to be prepared for the problems with the controllers. Whether they are brand new, slightly used, used, cleaned up, etc. Over time there will be a carbon residue over the flex circuits and nothing will respond especially the start, pause, reset, and fire buttons. I got tired of opening up and cleaning them many times which was a temporary solution that lasted a few weeks to a month. Best Electronics has the overhauled controllers with gold flex circuits and gold silicone dots instead of the black silicon. A controller costs $45. I bought 2 of them back in 2012. Work amazing and 100% to this day. Money well spent and will last you a lifetime. If I recall you can send them in to have the innards replaced and upgraded for about $25 each. Best is awesome! I highly reccommend calling them to place your order as it is a low budget website and you can't checkout from there. I hope you enjoy your 5200! I truly enjoy the heck out of that system! And do yourself a favor and get the Atarimax 128 in 1 SD multicart. It is amazing! All 69 original releases, prototypes, and download homebrews.

• Like 1

Wow, great responses. Thank you.

I just got one controller working (for now) so I am testing that out.

For instance, on Popeye, it wouldn't go left but on Space Invaders it would but wouldnt shoot. Frogger seems to work ok. Weird!

Chas, Ill PM you.

Looks like Ill need my controllers redone. How long does it take?

Hey, I just want to jump in here... I just got a 5200 myself and am waiting on Best's CX52 controllers to come in… the controller I have works ok most of the time, but I am still anxiously waiting to give the Best upgrades a try… they seem to be very highly regarded. Some of the multiplatform games from the era seem to have a unique personality on the 5200… I say it’s worth the money and trouble to deal with the controllers to experience these games once your setup is operational. Hope you stick with it!

Make sure you take a look at chas10e's link... It guides you through the process of fixing these things! Just note that the conductive pen he suggests is one way to do it, but it can also be done by using bits of foil (preferably punched out with a hole puncher) and super gluing them to the rubber pads.

I'd like to add that even the Best Electronics 5200 controllers aren't perfect. I have one that has issues with the wiring harness. They still use the original cables from the 80's and the wiring inside them is crap. If not for that, the Best controllers are pretty nice. The buttons have more action to them.

Wow, great responses. Thank you.

I just got one controller working (for now) so I am testing that out.

For instance, on Popeye, it wouldn't go left but on Space Invaders it would but wouldnt shoot. Frogger seems to work ok. Weird!

Chas, Ill PM you.

Looks like Ill need my controllers redone. How long does it take?

Believe it or not, the problem just might be in the wiring. If you decide to invest in some best controllers, keep the cable as straight as possible, and avoid sharp bends. The wiring is VERY old and brittle. Same with the Trak Ball. They really need to manufacture new replacement cables IMO.

Edited by 7800
  • Like 1

The information you provide about the brittle wiring is much appreciated, I would not have thought about that. My Best controllers came in yesterday (after I made my initial post) and after a few hours of play, I am very impressed with them. Pac-Man is one of the games for the 5200 that I found unplayable with the controller that came with my system, but last night I was able to get scores that compared to what I can do with the A8 version. I just hope that the controllers hold up. Do it... it's worth the $100 or so for two.

Edited by SilvaHaloOne
  • Like 1

I emailed Best yesterday. I think I'll at least try one controller first.

Part of me wants the Best modded controlller to keep with the 5200 vibe - but Im also wondering if a Wico might be better. However, the wico wont allow for the dual controller set up needed for Robotron and Space Dungeon.

Part of me wants the Best modded controlller to keep with the 5200 vibe - but Im also wondering if a Wico might be better. However, the wico wont allow for the dual controller set up needed for Robotron and Space Dungeon.

Best is the best :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wico is not the be all end all. They break down as well. I just ripped mine apart after owning them and not being able to use them for over 5 years. The pots were corroded and the keypad on the command control was cracked. Had to solder some bridge wires and wire up a new cable up as some of the wires were kinked.

Edited by 82atari5200

For those new to the 5200, I think it's fair to say that you will need multiple controllers to maximize game play for various titles. The Trak Ball is a necessity IMO. The Coin Controls Competition Pro is the best digital joystick for the 5200 IMO. Try and get a WICO with keypad... and of course the BEST 5200 controllers.

And if your not into collecting carts, invest in the AtariMax SD cart.

Owning a 5200 is pretty much an investment and will require TLC. ...IMO :)

• Like 2

I make this controller. It works for great for games that support digital controller.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/232616-atari-5200-arcade-controller-for-sale/

• Like 2

I received my controller from Best. It required an adjustment on the system, but it works like it is suppossed to. After weeks of not being able to enjoy my freshly acquired 5200, I was finally able to play some games.

Popeye still plays a bit clunky, but I really enjoyed Qix. Pengo is actually pretty decent too.

I'm waiting on Adventure 2 in the mail, along with Sinistar, so I'm looking forward to those. I'm interested in giving Haunted House 2 a try, but the reviews are pretty bad.

Any game recommendations?

Is it me or does Space Invaders seem really difficult on the 5200?