Photo

Someone just found an original Sony/Nintendo PlayStation prototype

44 replies to this topic

#26 Tickled_Pink OFFLINE  

Tickled_Pink

Quadrunner

• 6,822 posts

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:38 AM

I'm going to watch some more of these. This was pretty fun to watch.

#27 Seob OFFLINE  

Seob

River Patroller

• 2,471 posts

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:54 PM

He did a update. They are trying to find a replacement lens unit for the drive.

#28 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,259 posts

Posted Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:16 PM

He did a update. They are trying to find a replacement lens unit for the drive.

That was the kinda news I was hoping for. Thanks for letting me know about the update!

#29 keepdreamin OFFLINE  

keepdreamin

Dragonstomper

• 566 posts

Posted Fri May 5, 2017 5:30 PM

#30 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,259 posts

Posted Fri May 5, 2017 10:45 PM

And now it's worth a hell of a lot more that it's in working order.

#31 syn OFFLINE  

syn

Chopper Commander

• 110 posts
  • There can be only one.

Posted Fri May 5, 2017 11:22 PM

That was interesting. I had been wondering about it but not recently.

Waiting for the clone Kickstarter, lol.

#32 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,259 posts

Posted Sat May 6, 2017 2:31 PM

That was interesting. I had been wondering about it but not recently.

Waiting for the clone Kickstarter, lol.

I think it would sell like hotcakes.

#33 Supergun OFFLINE  

Supergun

Dragonstomper

• 758 posts

Posted Sat May 6, 2017 5:43 PM

I completely disagree. At least, me personally, I wouldn't have the least bit interest in it. There's no official software. An entire system / platform consisting of nothing but crappy homebrew garbage? Screw that. I'd rather play Mythicon games for 6 hours straight then play that garbage.

If this was a SNES/PlayStation combo system (like say a Sega Neptune) then it would be cool & unique. But as it sits, with no known games ever having been programmed for it, it's a cool looking unique SNES system & conversation piece.

A kickstarter for a Neptune would be of more interest to me. No more clunky 32X unit collapsing at the top of the Sega tower.

#34 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 13,775 posts

Posted Sat May 6, 2017 9:27 PM

Sega Neptune; Nintendo UrANUS:rolling:

#35 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 2,545 posts

Posted Sun May 7, 2017 12:36 AM

Aside from loading games from the CD and likely supporting CD-DA for the audio was there anything else in it?

Like special processors or alike (a la SegaCD)?

#36 syn OFFLINE  

syn

Chopper Commander

• 110 posts
  • There can be only one.

Posted Sun May 7, 2017 9:59 AM

I completely disagree. At least, me personally, I wouldn't have the least bit interest in it. There's no official software. An entire system / platform consisting of nothing but crappy homebrew garbage? Screw that. I'd rather play Mythicon games for 6 hours straight then play that garbage.
If this was a SNES/PlayStation combo system (like say a Sega Neptune) then it would be cool & unique. But as it sits, with no known games ever having been programmed for it, it's a cool looking unique SNES system & conversation piece.
A kickstarter for a Neptune would be of more interest to me. No more clunky 32X unit collapsing at the top of the Sega tower.

You know how crazy people are on the Neo scene and this is Nintendo. Sure on the cd side it would all be homebrews but with all the hackers it could be interesting.

#37 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 13,775 posts

Posted Sun May 7, 2017 2:42 PM

You know how crazy people are on the Neo scene and this is Nintendo. Sure on the cd side it would all be homebrews but with all the hackers it could be interesting.

And who's gonna write software for the CDROM addon when there's only one known working unit in existence with which to test on?
  • jhd likes this

#38 syn OFFLINE  

syn

Chopper Commander

• 110 posts
  • There can be only one.

Posted Sun May 7, 2017 3:52 PM

I'm saying if someone did a clone Kickstarter more would be done. If you watched the video, someone made the game tested on an emulator. The emulator would need updating but there's one out there.

This is all about IF so it's just banter on my part.

#39 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 11,541 posts

Posted Sun May 7, 2017 10:42 PM

Aside from loading games from the CD and likely supporting CD-DA for the audio was there anything else in it?
Like special processors or alike (a la SegaCD)?

Nope. This is what makes me kinda glad it never did see the light of day in the '90s.

Sure on the cd side it would all be homebrews but with all the hackers it could be interesting.

The thing is, it would be somewhat pointless other than to say they did it. Asides from games having the benefit of being on CD, there's not really anything else in the hardware that will allow it to do more than a stock SNES will. Based on Ben Heck's findings, it's literally just a SNES with a CD drive and nothing more.

Edited by Austin, Sun May 7, 2017 10:49 PM.

#40 Dashopepper OFFLINE  

Dashopepper

Chopper Commander

• 102 posts

Posted Thu May 11, 2017 11:01 AM

Nothing to see here. After seeing it twice at MGC I can say that neither the dad or son know or care anything about video games and that the dad was a forklift driver and practically stole the thing. He hid items packing them up for auction and then bid and won them low.

#41 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 13,775 posts

Posted Thu May 11, 2017 4:27 PM

Nothing to see here. After seeing it twice at MGC I can say that neither the dad or son know or care anything about video games and that the dad was a forklift driver and practically stole the thing. He hid items packing them up for auction and then bid and won them low.

If it meant that this treasure was ultimately rescued from a landfill, then more power to him.

#42 Dashopepper OFFLINE  

Dashopepper

Chopper Commander

• 102 posts

Posted Thu May 11, 2017 8:39 PM

Trust me, after sitting through a packed panel listening to Jeremy Parrish interview those numbnuts you would rather have it be in the landfill too.

#43 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 25,854 posts

Posted Fri May 12, 2017 8:17 AM

Seriously?  Where did you find that out?  Sounds super sketchy if true.

#44 ubersaurus OFFLINE  

ubersaurus

River Patroller

• 4,947 posts

Posted Fri May 12, 2017 9:04 AM

The dad is kind of delightful, having seen his panel at Magfest this past January. I don't necessarily agree with their preference for taking it around to shows since I think it has greater potential to get damaged from all the handling and use vs. it going to a game-centric museum, but I certainly see their argument.

But that story isn't entirely untrue - he was helping pack up the boxes so he knew most of what was in them when he went to bid on them at the auction. I don't believe he actually knew the Playstation was in there, or what it was, exactly, so that particular win was more of a fluke. 

#45 <<<Andrew>>> OFFLINE  

<<<Andrew>>>

Space Invader

• 23 posts

Posted Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 PM

The dad is kind of delightful, having seen his panel at Magfest this past January. I don't necessarily agree with their preference for taking it around to shows since I think it has greater potential to get damaged from all the handling and use vs. it going to a game-centric museum, but I certainly see their argument.

But that story isn't entirely untrue - he was helping pack up the boxes so he knew most of what was in them when he went to bid on them at the auction. I don't believe he actually knew the Playstation was in there, or what it was, exactly, so that particular win was more of a fluke. 

I agree - I am not sure where the online hate comes for Dan and Terry (the owners). Jealousy perhaps or just lots of second guessing of what the "best thing" to do with it is.

I am part of a retogaming group in Hong Kong and met and got to know them at http://retro.hkwhen they showed it off publicly for the first time. They are still in touch with our group and are as genuine as can be. Delightful is a great word to describe them both - completely down to earth, approachable and grateful for the opportunity and experiences the prototype has given them.

They had the prototype without knowing really what it was for many years so any kind of suggestion that they deliberately rigged things to get it are absurd. Now they have been clear they want to share it with the rest of the community as much as possible. Doing things like getting Ben Heck to repair it (many people would not even consider touching the internals like this), letting people play with it and hold it is IMHO much better than putting it behind glass and letting it be a static museum piece.

We are really lucky they ended up with it than any other people I can think of.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users