IGNORED

Atari Flashback 6

Would it be too expensive to add an SD card slot to it? Or just have the connectors for one inside. That way the hard-core minority can mod it, but the general population will still buy a new version with more games.

They can easily do it, but it would have to be authorized by Atari. It's my understanding they've never authorized it. As you'll note, for the Sega stuff there's no issue with cartridge slots or SD card support. Sega is good that way.

• Like 1

You know, now that you guys mention it, I do vaguely remember Lunar Lander now from the Atari Flashback 2. AtGames got involved from the Flashback 3 on, so what came before didn't involve them. I'd be curious what happened to the Lunar Lander ROM as I'm not sure how available it is. It would be nice to include, although I'd put it on the second tier of nice-to-have arcade game additions (meaning a nice game to have, but not necessarily one with any significant name recognition).

That's very interesting... I guess it makes sense Atari is worried.

How about having a way to mod it for higher video quality? S-Video is probably not difficult, HDMI probably too expensive (extra components) but maybe expose RGB+Sync for people to mod?

All I can say is that in my past discussions with them about using HDMI over composite, while technically possible, it would raise the costs beyond what it needs to be sold at. If it's priced at any higher than it's presently sold at, apparently the big box retailers wouldn't carry it. As for other video outputs, since modern TVs usually only have composite or HDMI, there's probably no incentive to add in anything else for the type of audience this is targeted to.

Ah what I was suggesting is just having the connection points on the motherboard. Leave it to us crazies to mod the connectors/cables in :-)

Shouldn't impact final sale price, unless they are reusing the same moterboard fro previous manufacturing.

Edited by Newsdee

Ah what I was suggesting is just having the connection points on the motherboard. Leave it to us crazies to mod the connectors/cables in :-)

Shouldn't impact final sale price, unless they are reusing the same moterboard fro previous manufacturing.

Understood. Yeah, I would think if they were going to go to the trouble of doing that, they'd need a justification to do other things to the motherboard. This is a common platform for them that they haven't changed in quite a while hardware-wise.

I rather like Lunar Lander. The flashback versions could use some improvement in the resolution of the instrument panel, not the text font, but the precision of the counting. I'd also like to see some consistency in the amount of left/right thrusting. Seems a little biased with the right movements being more easily made.

All in all not too bad.

ADDED: A google search will turn up 1 version of the rom. There are 2 that I know of.

Edited by Keatah

I'm discussing the 2016 products with AtGames now (again, it looks like just Atari and Sega updates), so if anyone has any suggestions for games to include - particularly arcade games (Battlezone, Pooyan, etc., are some obvious ones that come to mind) - let me know and I'll pass it on to them. They're looking for new games to license.

Battlezone 2600 with correct emulation

Wired controllers

Keep all current games

Food Fight 7800

us games- gopher, squeezebox, eggomania

• Like 2

Restoring Battlezone (And fixing their emulator so it can be properly enjoyed) is a must.

Ignoring titles with obvious problems that all but certainly are insurmountable (The Nintendo ports, movie tie-ins, etc.), I think the following Atari ports would make fine additions.

-Berzerk,

-Moon Patrol

-Mouse Trap (I believe they own this Coleco conversion)

-Phoenix

-Vanguard

And rebrand Othello as Reversi to get it out there. It's a fine classic videogame adaptation of the board game classic. While it won't sell any Flashbacks, it's still a nice complement to the lineup and one more game that's worthwhile to play. And best of all, it's free and clear just with a renaming.

And while perhaps too expensive, dealing with Namco and Warner Brothers would be advisable. Some excellent 1st party conversions would open up here, including the following classics. I'm not sure about the Namco properties, but suspect that Defender and Joust would at least fall within the realm of financial possibilities here.

-Defender

-Defender 2/Stargate

-Dig Dug

-Galaxian

-Joust

-Jr. Pac-Man

-Ms. Pac-Man

-Pac-Man (Bound to be beneficial since despite its mixed reputation, it's a 2600 game that everyone had)

-Pole Position

Plenty of fine 3rd party titles that would be viable possibilities, too. Bump N Jump for an example that I'd love to see (They already have a relationship with Intellivision Productions, the likely owner of the 2600 port, and G-Mode is in the business of licensing their Data East properties.).

And I hardly think that we even need to mention Activision. Getting them to play ball would be a great boon to the continued success of this product line.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

And best of all, it's free and clear just with a renaming.

Isn't that the slogan of the Witness Protection Program? ;)

Sorry, I don't really have anything substantive to add to the current conversation. I've actually never been very familiar with the 2600's library, particularly when it comes to third-party releases.

With people posting about owning actual FB6 units recently, I thought I'd soon get answers to my questions from post #51, but not yet, it seems. :(

onmode-ky

If anyone here does get a FB6 (incidentally, they should be readily available now at your local Toys 'R Us stores), here are the questions to which I would like to get answers:

- Question: Is Battlezone actually in the system?

- Projected Answer: No, it's a misprint on the box.

- Question: Is Secret Quest fully playable, with some substitute in place for the B&W/Color switch function?

- Projected Answer: No, it's as broken now as it was the last time AtGames included it in a Flashback (2011, FB3).

- Question: Does Indy 500 work with the VCS driving controller?

- Projected Answer: No. But maybe it works with paddles?

- Question: Does holding down Start + Select while powering on the system still make it go into the debug mode?

- Projected Answer: Yes, because it's the same underlying hardware.

- Question: Does the debug mode still say "Titan"?

- Projected Answer: Yes, because it's the same underlying hardware.

Oh, great and powerful Fuji gods, let someone give us the answers to these questions!

If it were officially licensed, though, shouldn't there be a copyright/trademark notice on the box, like there is for Taito, Intellivision Productions, and Good Deal Games? And, May 2016 is far enough away that the FB6 will be an afterthought by then. I'm inclined to think it is not licensed.

onmode-ky

I believe your projected answers are spot on. I don't think the Indy 500 driving controller will work, but it will most likely work with paddles.

If I there's something missing from my reply, someone correct me.

Edited by AtarinDave

By the way, Battlezone is NOT in the actual product. Here's the official list (the prior comment about the new games on the list was 100% correct, obviously):

1 3D Tic-Tac-Toe
2 Adventure
3 Adventure II
4 Air Raiders TM
5 Air·Sea Battle
6 Aquaventure
7 Armor Ambush TM
8 Asteroids
9 Astroblast TM
10 Atari Climber
11 Backgammon
12 Basketball
13 Black Jack
14 Bowling
15 Breakout
16 Canyon Bomber
17 Centipede
18 Championship Soccer
19 Chase It
20 Circus Atari
21 Combat
22 Combat Two
23 Crystal Castles
24 Dark Cavern TM (Night Stalker)
25 Demons to Diamonds
26 Desert Falcon
27 Dodge 'Em
28 Double Dunk
29 Escape It
30 Fatal Run
31 Flag Capture
32 Football
33 Frog Pond
34 Frogs and Flies
35 Front Line
36 Fun with Numbers
37 Golf
38 Gravitar
39 Hangman
40 Haunted House
41 Home Run
42 Human Cannonball
43 Indy 500
44 International Soccer TM
45 Jungle Hunt
46 Maze Craze
47 Millipede
48 Miniature Golf
49 Miss It
50 Missile Command
51 MotoRodeo
52 Night Driver
53 Off-the-Wall
54 Outlaw
55 Polaris
56 Pong (Video Olimpics)
57 Radar Lock
58 Realsports Baseball
59 Realsports Basketball
60 Realsports Soccer
61 Realsports Volleyball
62 Return to Haunted House
63 Saboteur
64 Save Mary
65 Sea Battle TM
66 Secret Quest
67 Shield Shifter
68 Sky Diver
69 Slot Machine
70 Slot Racers
71 Solaris
72 Space AttackTM
73 Space Invaders
74 Space War
75 Sprintmaster
76 Star Ship
77 Star StrikeTM
78 Steeplechase
79 Stellar Track
80 Street Racer
81 Strip Off
82 Submarine Commander
83 Super Baseball
84 Super Breakout
85 Super Challenge TM Baseball
86 Super Challenge TM Football (NFL Football)
87 Super Football
88 Surround
89 Sword FightTM
90 Swordquest: Earthworld
91 Swordquest: Fireworld
92 Swordquest: Waterworld
93 Tempest
94 Video Checkers
95 Video Chess
96 Video Pinball
97 Warlords
98 Wizard
99 Yars' Return
100 Yars' Revenge
  • Like 1

Yeah, Berzerk sounds good, too.

That's such a great game for zoning out. I'd love to see it come back in some official way. Atari shut down a free Android game called Manik that had nearly identical graphics, sound, and gameplay to VCS Berzerk. I was sorry to see that go, even more so if they don't have a way to bring it back.

I have enough retro stuff in emulation now, not to mention several of the Atari Flashback units. I guess it's nice that they revise it every year, but 6 is an awful lot of these things. I guess someone is buying them every year.

I got word back about some of the questions. I was told the issue with Secret Quest "should be resolved." Considering how the game works, I somehow doubt that, but don't have a unit of my own to see.

In regards to Indy 500, the license was received from Atari and left at that. The racing controller doesn't work, but the emulation code allows the joystick to control it. Again, without a unit of my own, I don't know how well (can't imagine all that well).

• Like 3

My brother-in-law said that his flashback 6 has quit a game in play and reset to the game's initial screen. This happened to him with both asteroids and space invaders. He said it's usually after playing for an hour or more. He said that is playing the console for more than hour, but not the particular game itself. Has this happened to anyone else? It sounds like a bug in the emulator.

Thanks,

Tom

You know, now that you guys mention it, I do vaguely remember Lunar Lander now from the Atari Flashback 2. AtGames got involved from the Flashback 3 on, so what came before didn't involve them. I'd be curious what happened to the Lunar Lander ROM as I'm not sure how available it is. It would be nice to include, although I'd put it on the second tier of nice-to-have arcade game additions (meaning a nice game to have, but not necessarily one with any significant name recognition).

Well, these three games were all original to the Atari Flashback 2 & Atari Flashback 2+, exclusives by Curt Vendel and his Legacy team...

Atari Flashback 3 included Adventure II

Atari Flashback 4 included Return to Haunted Housewith

Atari Flashback 6 includes Yars' Return

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, their regular price is $59.99? Do theirs come with a full set of overlays? ;P Or maybe that's the price after Indy 500 licensing kicked in!

Dollar General will have the 2015 AtGames Atari and Sega offerings for $28 on Thanksgiving Day. Also on that day, they'll have Campbell's Chunky brand soups for $1. Mmm mmm good. Unfortunately, the sole 2015 plug-n-play system that I'm even vaguely interested in, Star Wars: Blaster Strike, hasn't appeared in any Black Friday ads yet.

onmode-ky

• Like 1