IGNORED

What Atari 2600 Game Has Your Favorite Sound?

Skippy B. Coyote

The Atari 2600 isn't a system known for having fantastic sound, but there are still a lot of memorable tunes and sound effects to be found in 2600 games. For me personally, as much as I love the music in Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle and Ms. Pac-Man, I think I'm going to to have to go with Millipede. Listening to the sound in Millipede—especially in the later levels—is like treating your ears to a cacophony of just about every bleep, bloop, buzz, whir, and warble that the Atari 2600 is capable of producing. It's this crazy jumble of sound effects that you would think would be grating, yet for some reason I just really enjoy the way it sounds. :lol:

So how about you? What Atari 2600 game is your favorite in terms of sound?

• Like 3

Atari 2600 sound effects are wonderfully harsh. They both haunted and brought joy to my youth. Venture always will standout for me, as I played it a lot as a kid. The sound effects were kind of terrifying to me back then. To this day, when I think of generic videogame noises, I'll always think of the 2600.

Edited by sloth-machine
  • Like 1

I guess because I played a ton of it as a kid I love the sounds in Demon Attack. The game play sounds, the level complete music and the death sound all took me right back to my childhood when I refurbed my Atari and played it for the first time since my childhood.

Another one that I always really liked (probably because I'm just the right age) is Kool-Aid Man. I love the opening/power-up tune, the sounds of the sipping and when you get bounced.

My favorite sound effects... well the game over in Missile command, the dead in berzerk (so violent !), in SW return of the jedi, the sound of the tie fighters (it looks like they're passing near your ears) and when the shield is opening, and in Space Shuttle, opening/closing of cargo bay, or the various alarms. When I was kid, my pleasure was to open the bay until temp alarm fires, then close it :)

You can't do what you want with it, "soundy" speaking, but the sound of the vcs has its very own personnality, very recognizable.

Edit : here's a very short loop composed by a friend of mine, using my own "music" routine. I really like how he used the particular low sounds of the console to make a quite modern feel.

Edited by Cambouis de l'Atari
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm going with the Star Wars music in Empire Strikes Back when your snowspeeder is temporarily invincible. Actually I'm adding Vanguard music in there too.

Phil

I like the music in Vanguard, but it really bugs me that your lasers are silent... It needs a "pew...pew"... also an ambient engine hum in the background (a la combat or Yars) would have been welcome too.

Edited by G-type

Other sound effects I truly enjoy is Missle Command. Right off the bat when you start off the game the 4 high pitch siren noises, shooting the cannons, destroying missles, the score tallying, and the best is when the game is over! The arcade version in my opinion has the best Game Over screen in all of the video games I have ever played and is truly ground breaking for 1980-1981. Haunted House is amazing as well. Getting caught by a ghost or bat and also descending into the next room. Love the sound of the footsteps as you are moving. Yars' Revenge, Missle Command, and Haunted House are my top three. So many great sounds that TIA chip can do. I get goosebumps just listening to it.