IGNORED

Atari800Mac joypad problem

Does anyone use this emulator - 'cos I need a little help.

I have been messing with it for a while and it's perfectly serviceable, but I am confounded by it's joystick support. I use a wireless PS3 pad - works great in all games and emulators except Atari800Mac.

If I want to use the left analogue stick no problem, but try as I might I cannot get the joypad button re-mapping to work in this emulator, I go to the pref pane, remap buttons to configure the joypad - save it and select the profile, load a game and all buttons are just fire - the d-pad, shoulder buttons, face buttons - all refuse to be remapped to anything apart from fire.

All I want to do is make the digital pad be the joystick rather than use the analogue stick, and the only way to do that is by remapping the buttons (the emulator does not seem to see the d-pad as a hat input), but as I cannot seem to make it work - it's very frustrating.

I have looked at the saved config file, I thought I could simply edit it to the correct buttons to force the remapping, but the format of the config is not very readable.

Any suggestions?

sTeVE

History of Mac OS X is not so good with external Joysticks.

As I understand there was no official library till very recently.

So I am wondering if the emulator has support yet? Sorry not used Atari800Mac for a long while now.

Anyway as an alternative you may want to have a look at one of the following sites:

http://www.carvware.com/

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html

Both allow mapping of controllers to various keystrokes and mouse actions. They worked very well when I last played with them a few years ago now.

Sub(Function(:)) - I am trying to steer away from using an external key mapper - I have experienced compatibility issues with software that does support proper key mapping (like OpenEmu) when software such as usb overdrive is installed. I have Joystick Mapper, which works well in most cases - I was just wondering if the provided mapper can be made to work in Atari800Mac, as it seems to partially work...

spookt - I would love to know your experiences - changing sticks to one that does work is fine by me - if you have a working solution I am open too it!

sTeVE

Little Update - I plugged in a USB PS3 fighting stick (Hori) and when that is attached I can select HAT input and control games in a proper digital fashion without any key mapping!

So why does the PS3 d-pad not show up as a a HAT I wonder?

The fighting stick also works with all my other software quite well - so partial success!

Still keen to hear what other sticks or pads work well with Atari800Mac though - I fancy one of the 8bitdo NES pads!

sTeVE