IGNORED

fbForth/Triple Tech Card -- Question

Omega-TI

Okay, I found >PART< of the problem, some of the dates did not have the leading space in the quotes that fbForth seems to require... I will not be forgetting that. The syntax is new to me... to say the least.

Now I get what is in the attached photo below...

I still have to take line 8 out and reset before I can go in a edit block 62!

post-35324-0-53356900-1436315163_thumb.jpg

... What am I missing here? I think I did exactly what you said...

Yeah, that's the problem: doing exactly what I said! :dunce: Sorry. The problem is a broken BASE->R R->BASE pair. There should never be a LOAD or CLOAD between them! Change the line to

DECIMAL 62 R->BASE CLOAD TIME

and remove the R->BASE at the end of line 9. From the above code, you can see that we don't need HEX after TIME because nothing in the rest of the block needs it..

...lee

• Like 1

Okay, I found >PART< of the problem, some of the dates did not have the leading space in the quotes that fbForth seems to require... I will not be forgetting that. The syntax is new to me... to say the least.

Forth does not require a leading space, as such. It requires separation between words. ." is a word that means “print string”. If you follow it with something other than a space, the interpreter will keep merrily reading until a space occurs, at which point it will try to find that space-delimited word in the dictionary—usually, not finding it, of course.

Now I get what is in the attached photo below...

I still have to take line 8 out and reset before I can go in a edit block 62!

You could have merely typed DECIMAL ahead of 62 EDIT —not something you should have to do; but, in this case, the bad code I gave you for block #1 likely left you in HEX .

...lee

• Like 1

You could have merely typed DECIMAL ahead of 62 EDIT —not something you should have to do; but..,

I'll try that next time, it'll save me a cr*p load of re-editing block #1 and resetting. Now what the problem is in block 62... I dunno, I'm a newb trying to read Greek here! :)

Ohm, you read through any of the Brodie book yet?

: READING ." NOW " ;

: START CLS CR CR ;

: MSG START READING ;

;)

And don't for forget to FLUSH...

'Fraid not. Actually I should be doing more important things right NOW instead of playing around on A.A., but figured I can shoe-horn them in tomorrow morning before I leave.

I'm doing a lot of FLUSHing, that's for sure!

Most of what Lee is showing you is described and illustrated in the first few chapters of Starting Forth... All the colon definition details, how WORDS are used, and not syntax... When you have time (and believe me, I KNOW about time constraints) sit down with fbForth in the slot, Starting Forth pn the desk, and go line by lije, example by example in the first 4 chapters of the book... I promise you will soil yourself. ;)

Most of what Lee is showing you is described and illustrated in the first few chapters of Starting Forth... All the colon definition details, how WORDS are used, and not syntax... When you have time (and believe me, I KNOW about time constraints) sit down with fbForth in the slot, Starting Forth pn the desk, and go line by lije, example by example in the first 4 chapters of the book... I promise you will soil yourself. ;)

Well, I plan to take his expert course due to start in about a week AND get his excellent manual printed off at the Office Despot near where I work in about a week too. I hopefully will have more time in the next few weeks as well. This is kind of like dropping me in the deep end of the pool, but I am getting something out of it (other than frustration).

Check out section 3 of the fbForth manual (starting on pg. 22)

Using a Disk Manager, you can copy the BLOCKS file to another disk under a different name if you want to.

You can use the USEBFL command to load the selected block for editing.

Still though... Never had anything set up to auto-launch in fbForth, so I'm not 100% sure if this will work for you. Might auto-process anyway.

• Like 1

Oh CRAP! Is there a way to ABORT block one from processing on startup?

I cannot do ANYTHING now. All I get now is what you see below and it locks up tight...

Yes—Rename FBLOCKS or change DSK1 to a disk that does not have FBLOCKS. fbForth will complain and MENU will not be defined; but, you can then edit the file. Let's say FBLOCKS is now on DSK2. Do the following to edit block #1:

USEBFL DSK2.FBLOCKS
1 EDIT

Also, send me the file so I can have a look.

...lee

• Like 1

Well, I plan to take his expert course due to start in about a week AND get his excellent manual printed off at the Office Despot near where I work in about a week too. I hopefully will have more time in the next few weeks as well. This is kind of like dropping me in the deep end of the pool, but I am getting something out of it (other than frustration).

Look here: http://turboforth.net/tutorials/tutorials.html

The first few chapters will work with fbForth.

• Like 2

By the way, you can do this in TurboForth too. Hope nobody minds me mentioning it here.

Surely not!

And here's the source. There's more comments than code!

I have often envied your (TurboForth's) file-processing code. While I think more flexible, fbForth's is harder to use. Even I keep the manual handy! This is entirely TI Forth's fault because my primary goal, while developing fbForth, was, as much as I could manage, to maintain compatibility with TI Forth. After all, the subtitle of the fbForth 2.0 Manual is “A File-Based Cartridge Implementation of TI Forth”.

...lee

I have often envied your (TurboForth's) file-processing code. While I think more flexible, fbForth's is harder to use. Even I keep the manual handy! This is entirely TI Forth's fault because my primary goal, while developing fbForth, was, as much as I could manage, to maintain compatibility with TI Forth. After all, the subtitle of the fbForth 2.0 Manual is “A File-Based Cartridge Implementation of TI Forth”.

...lee

Yeah, I didn't do a bad job on that, even if I say so myself. There's one area that could be improved (oh the benefit of hindsight) but it's robust and reliable, as far as I can tell :-)