IGNORED

FYI: I closed my Yahoo account

mizapf

same same.

just watching the mails for 10+ years, but have been online there only for some times, and was desperate for the GUI everytime

I am sure I am the next, cutting this rope.

The last one switch the light off, please :)

• Like 1

Feels like a party here ... the first one says "gotta go now", all others joining :-D ... In German we have the word "Aufbruchstimmung" for that.

[Just checked: it is indeed quite difficult to find a suitable English translation for that (which fits the same contexts)]

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 2

Sort of, but does not fit all situations. It is funny to see that the German language exported many terms that cover, I'd say, complex mental attitudes or states that are not easily described in words, even by native speakers - think of Gemütlichkeit or Angst, or your cited Wanderlust.

Aufbruchstimmung (literally "departure mood") is somewhat the positive counterpart to restlessness. In the more concrete meaning it refers to the positive excitement when you are just about to go on a long-awaited journey. In a more abstract meaning it refers to the atmosphere that you sense in you or in a group of people who feel motivated to leave the current state of a lack of prospects, of stagnation, of depression (could say, getting up their a**es, getting in gear) with a firm expectation that things will turn for the better now. And on said party, this mood shows up when it's already late but no one dares to leave first, and then there is some common agreement to go. After unification, in East Germany there was a lot of Aufbruchstimmung (as long as people believed Chancellor Kohl's claim that we would soon find "blooming landscapes" and no impact on taxes and so on).

• Like 1

Nah, you're totally right, Mizapf. There's no direct analogue in English (even though everyone knows the emotion. Sometimes I'll deliberately announce "Well, I'm going to be that guy and be the first one out" just to see who follows, hehe. ;) ) Some German words make their way across directly for that reason, 'schadenfreude' comes to mind. I like knowing that "aufbruchstimmung" exists for the party aspect, although I probably won't be able to remember it. ;)

I have to keep my Yahoo mail account for testing various scenarios and configurations. For instance, I was testing my mailing list server and needed to see how messages were displayed and received on GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, and AOL. That is the only reason I have any of those accounts. It's funny -- I chose random user names for each and within a week I was receiving spam.