IGNORED

Designing a TRULY PORTABLE TI-99/4A

Omega-TI

I think it would be kind of fun and cool to design and build a truly portable TI-99/4A, one that can fit in a standard laptop case for true portability to places like... a Chicago hotel room. ;)

Using modern components, it's probably possible to pull this off now. I'm figuring EVERYTHING would have to fit in the console itself, except for the power supply. There there is plenty of room above the 'clam shell' to stick stuff, possibly even more if the internal power supply could be replaced with a small external switching power supply.

There are a number of possibilities to start off with, like Tursi's 32K mod, Matthew's F18A, but what of data storage or possibly even communications?

gallery_35324_1027_99997.jpg

• Like 5

I want to see the video of you going through airport security with your new TI-99/4A "laptop".

;)

Were it not for the fact that I ship my 4A and accessories and only carry a few things on the plane with me, I would take you up on this. But, alas. Besides, they make you take large electronics out of the bags. Either way, it would be great when they ask "What the hell is THAT" and demand that it be hooked up to show that it works. Better take one with an F18A so you can hook it up to one of their monitors. Oh, and get to the airport early.

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/magazines/micropendium/mp8906.pdf

Kramer from Seinfeld already built one. ;)

Gazoo

So, it sounds one could use a QI power supply with an appropriate DC power source to power the 4A rather than the old brick... Interesting. I am considering a laptop power source. Most of them put out 19V, but I have seen 16V and 20V. Some universals will go up to 24V.

Wouldn't it be more practical (albeit more work) to ditch the console and simply use a vintage laptop casing...

the motherboard would probably fit comfortably in an old 4x3 display laptop (like a 90's era Tecra). Add a replacement power supply (if case size requires it), keyboard interface, an F18A, and jury-rigging a nanoPEB/CF7 for printing and storage.

I have an old T1910, and I would think the thickness of the case would allow more than enough room for components (width might be lacking though), plus there is enough case real estate between the screen and keyboard to allow for the cutting of a GROM port. (the mouse is an optional snap-on for this model, so nothing would interfere with a cut-away for the expansion port on the right.).

These old clunkers weighed a ton though, so calling them "portable" is a stretch

• Like 1

I actually got to take a close look at that highly-modified portable TI-99/4A at a MANNERS meeting back around 1990 or so, courtesy of good timing when I decided to visit Chris Bobbitt. He took me to the meeting where I demonstrated a Wiesbaden Supermodul II and I got to see that wonderful piece of portable TI goodness too. That was a great bit of fun. . .his hair wasn't quite as wild as Kramer's though. ;)

My idea is actually just to stuff everything I can in an ORIGINAL console, keeping the classic look. The portability aspect is just for taking it places. I always figured it would still require a modern monitor or TV as well as an external power supply.

I've had strikes with a Nano, so I'll not be going down that path again.

From a gamer's perspective, Tursi's 32K mod and a Gazoo Cart would go a long way. I've also wondered what a 32K enabled console pared with one of Gazoo's mega cartridges would sell for on Ebait.

hmmmm, for this maybe the sidecar-controllers & floppies could be nice, also for transportation in a case ?

I'm thinking of putting a TI disk controller card in one of these with Stuart's sideport-to-card cable to connect it with.

There should be room in the top of the case to mount the card. I've never seen one or had one apart, so I'm just guessing.

Can anyone who's seen the inside of one of these provide a little insight?

Gazoo

commodore1541_sm.jpg

I'm thinking of putting a TI disk controller card in one of these with Stuart's sideport-to-card cable to connect it with.

This is the second time I've see a reference to 'sideport to card cable'. It appears I've missed or overlooked something major. I'd love a link to more on this item.

It's really sad there are so few of us TI-er's left. If there were more, it might have been feasible to make a small SMT FDC controller that could fit in that case, or even an EZ-135 case.

post-35324-0-54805200-1436566132_thumb.jpg

This is the second time I've see a reference to 'sideport to card cable'. It appears I've missed or overlooked something major. I'd love a link to more on this item.

http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/ti/ti.htm

gallery_29515_833_3632.jpg

I would use a sideport extension cable like this, though.

L1172.jpg

And I'd put the 'ugly' crossover connections on the card connector inside the drive housing. I've got the extension cable, a spare controller card, and some spare drives.

The only things I still need are the 60 pin connector for the TI card and the drive housing I mentioned. I'm hoping someone will verify that a TI card will fit in the Commodore 1541 drive box.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 4

Dude! A new 720K FDC controller and a FULLY COMPATIBLE RS-232 on a PCB to go with that cable in a box and there would be no need for a Nano. Cool project you have in the works!

Personally I don't see the need for an RS232 card. The only use I have for it anymore is for Midi stuff, and as long as I have 1 TI with that connection, the others are unnecessary.

If I get it working, the final change would be to replace the floppy drive with an HXC, that would be my idea of a portable TI.

Gazoo

• Like 2

The only use I have for it anymore is for Midi stuff, and as long as I have 1 TI with that connection, the others are unnecessary.

If I get it working, the final change would be to replace the floppy drive with an HXC, that would be my idea of a portable TI.

I'm with you on the HxC inside the box, that would be awesome! Please keep us in the loop on this.

I understand you not wanting an RS-232, we all do different things with out systems. So much of my TI use requires an RS-232 though, so much so that I can no longer fathom running without one.

There should be room in the top of the case to mount the card. I've never seen one or had one apart, so I'm just guessing.

Can anyone who's seen the inside of one of these provide a little insight?

Gazoo

I am pretty certain here is room inside to accommodate the TI controller card, the only concern would be the height of the card versus the width of the enclosure. But given the PEB is the height of of a drive -- yeah, I think it could work. It is a neat idea and 1541s are far more abundant than full-height external enclosures where you could mount the card in 1/2 of the box and a single drive next to it.

Now, I have no idea the dimensions of the TI side-car controller so I cannot speak to that.