IGNORED

not for all ages :/

escarioth

made a test.

wife tryed. (Age:25) =========> wife hated it and want to put it in a garbage can...she mean it

brother-in-law tryed (Age:20) ==> Laugh the whole time, said was fun but not for too long.

Mother (Age:62) ============> Tought it was a phone and tryed to call.. (aawww ! come ON)

Dog (Age:4) ===============> *tryed to eat a controller*

Cat (age:3) ================> Had fun with controller's cord. not interested in games....

Neighboor friend (age:32) ====> Had fun all night....we ended drunk

Uncle (age:57) =============> Remembered how he had fun with CV....cleared miner2049 on third try....wtf. *he had the game back then*

Baby girl (age:2) ===========> Have fun looking at smurf moving around (hope ?)

in the end...

Guys around 25+ digs it but those around 20 or less, just find it funny and go back to their pc.

girls dont seem to care at all unless they're 2 years old ..

animal seems interested.....in some ways.

How's your test ending up ?

(i did that for fun , dont take it personal ;) )

Edited by escarioth
  • Like 1

Been getting some younger niece & nephews to try it lately. aged 7-17
Depends on the game. They liked smurf & cabbage patch kids. Most found the controller impossible and gave up almost immediately. 1 got hooked on loderunner 15-16 years old).
They all played "mr turtle" fairly far like not that they had a choice.
1 really like smurf paint & play. I never played the game before but played more than 1 hour
1 adult 50+ really liked joust as he had played it in the acade quite a bit. got 59000 first try so he seemed good at it. This went over well with the 15 year old too.
grand parent 80+ stared at the tv for 30 secs thinking WTF and walked away.

WP 20150617 010

WP 20150617 008

WP 20150617 001

WP 20150616 009

WP 20150616 007

My CV has been on the main HDTV for 7 years.

My wife ....hates it.

My 13 year old daughter and I play Bump & Jump often with the steering wheel and gas pedal. We have been playing this for years...it's a favorite.

My 17 year old son HATES video games...no XBox, no Playstation...nothing. BUT, every time his video game loving friends come over, they ask if they can use the CV. These kids have the current generation of consoles, and love the CV. The harder the game, the better. My son watches then play, and rolls his eyes.

Now, when I occasionally work the 3-11 shift, the boys from work, all around 45-50 years old come over at 11:00 pm. We have copious amounts of beer and chips, and play the CV and the Atari module, sometimes until sunup. We relive our youth, and the competition can get fierce. Especially a one on one sports title.

I got my CV in 1984, and 31 years later, after a little Yurkie fixing, it is still entertaining my family and friends. What other piece of electronics in your house can still be relevant 31 years later?

Well I'm 22 and own well over 10 consoles, love them all from Atari/Colecovision all the way to PS4/Wii U/Xbox One

My mom and dad still have their Atari 2600 and have several consoles too all the way to Wii U. They still play NES and Super Nintendo and everything else they own.

made a test.

wife tryed. (Age:25) =========> wife hated it and want to put it in a garbage can...she mean it

brother-in-law tryed (Age:20) ==> Laugh the whole time, said was fun but not for too long.

Mother (Age:62) ============> Tought it was a phone and tryed to call.. (aawww ! come ON)

Dog (Age:4) ===============> *tryed to eat a controller*

Cat (age:3) ================> Had fun with controller's cord. not interested in games....

Neighboor friend (age:32) ====> Had fun all night....we ended drunk

Uncle (age:57) =============> Remembered how he had fun with CV....cleared miner2049 on third try....wtf. *he had the game back then*

Baby girl (age:2) ===========> Have fun looking at smurf moving around (hope ?)

in the end...

Guys around 25+ digs it but those around 20 or less, just find it funny and go back to their pc.

girls dont seem to care at all unless they're 2 years old ..

animal seems interested.....in some ways.

How's your test ending up ?

(i did that for fun , dont take it personal ;) )

Not a fair test...you need to give relevant systems / controllers to each group. ;)

Wife - possibly does not like any game or console; upside is that she did not ask YOU to put it in the garbage can. Also reaction may have been better depending on the game.

Brother-in-Law - Possibly has the "it must be 100% amusing to me all the time" mindset for everything. Try again with Gorf as maybe the variety will keep him entertained longer.

Mother - Probably did not get into video games at any time, including today's games.

Dog - Really should have tried with a NES dog bone controller. The dog would have loved this.

Cat - Cat would be more interested in a game all about cats or at least with material interesting to cats; did you try Mouse Trap? You can never really tell with cats.

Neighbor / Friend - Perfect example of what I am talking about! You including something interesting to him and it worked perfectly!

Uncle - This is great! Allowed him to re-live those memories and possibly want to play some of the homebrews now being released.

Baby Girl - Again the test included content particularly interesting for the gamer.

Summary:

Everyone will love the CV, or another console, when the experiment focuses on them instead of the console.

Spend more time playing games with your neighbor as most others are high-maintenance.

I guess its just a hit or a miss with some people. My friend Jerry,who I have been friends with since high school sees the old stuff and laughs and says I remember when we played stuff like this after school,but he won't dare play any of it. Yet another friend of mine,about 6-7 years younger loves the stuff. When Ibring out my Colecovision,Atari 5200, and 7800 he'll light up like a Christmas tree. Most these systems he had always wanted when he was younger,but in those days he and I just had Atari 2600s, nothing more. So he jumped at the chance to try the other systems out. He instantly saw the magic in them still. The better graphics, the different styled controllers,the pros and cons of each system,he really enjoyed the stuff.

Nowdays he'll call me up and say can he bring his kids over and hang out and play some games. He'll bring beer,steak, and I supply the tv and the games. Whats shocking is even his kids love the old games. I guess maybe abit of parental influence can happen at times with gaming. He plays allot of Mame that I rigged up on his laptop, so it turns out he and his family always have fun with the older games. Its good to see too. Most kids are caught up with trophy and achievement hunting with the modern consoles, while missing the entire point of why the older games were/are so good. To see a family enjoy the retro golden era of games is great to see. It doesn't happen enough nowdays though.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

Not a fair test...you need to give relevant systems / controllers to each group. ;)

Wife - possibly does not like any game or console; upside is that she did not ask YOU to put it in the garbage can. Also reaction may have been better depending on the game.

Brother-in-Law - Possibly has the "it must be 100% amusing to me all the time" mindset for everything. Try again with Gorf as maybe the variety will keep him entertained longer.

Mother - Probably did not get into video games at any time, including today's games.

Dog - Really should have tried with a NES dog bone controller. The dog would have loved this.

Cat - Cat would be more interested in a game all about cats or at least with material interesting to cats; did you try Mouse Trap? You can never really tell with cats.

Neighbor / Friend - Perfect example of what I am talking about! You including something interesting to him and it worked perfectly!

Uncle - This is great! Allowed him to re-live those memories and possibly want to play some of the homebrews now being released.

Baby Girl - Again the test included content particularly interesting for the gamer.

Summary:

Everyone will love the CV, or another console, when the experiment focuses on them instead of the console.

Spend more time playing games with your neighbor as most others are high-maintenance.

the wife part is what i'm wondering what is happening...

she ended doom 1-2 and even wolfeistein 3-d .. she plays a bit of NES and loves the genesis

but she wont play a single game of ANY console atari, intellivision or Colecovision.

and i'm getting the evil death stare everytime i buy new games.

its like ...i dont know ._. she got over 9 video game tatoos ...but can't get a bit of love for older games.

despite showing every 25 CV games i got here.. something must have happened in the past lol

ill have to put my detective coat.

ColecoVision has the best controller that is pre-NES and pre-Genesis. The Atari 2600 controller is ok, but all the other 70's and 80's controllers are pretty bad. Even the Vectrex controller is pretty bad. Its looks to be ok, but the buttons are very cheap feeling, and the joystick is uncomfortable and awkward because it clearly has analogue movement, but only 2 games use it, because every other game uses it as a digital controller.

My son, who is 7, hated the controller(he loves pong and atari 2600 though). My wife normally does not enter the room of doom, unless it is to find me to watch the kids. As for the controller, I too never liked it. It is nice that these days there are so many options to play Coleco games without using the standard controller. Everyone has their opinion of what is best, and I definitely have mine. The ball mod definitely helps the original controller for me.

ColecoVision has the best controller that is pre-NES and pre-Genesis. The Atari 2600 controller is ok, but all the other 70's and 80's controllers are pretty bad. Even the Vectrex controller is pretty bad. Its looks to be ok, but the buttons are very cheap feeling, and the joystick is uncomfortable and awkward because it clearly has analogue movement, but only 2 games use it, because every other game uses it as a digital controller.

Although I generally never had issues with the ColecoVision controller myself (although today I much prefer ball top modded versions of it), I can absolutely understand the massive criticisms levied against it. I'd say generally speaking, the Atari 2600 controller is really the only one that stood the test of time. As for other quality pre-Crash controllers (that came with a console), I'd have to put the Bally Astrocade's near the top of the list as well. I also like the Odyssey 2's controllers, although the different models do vary in usability/quality.

• 1 month later...