IGNORED

Season 4 - The New HSC - Week 26 = Stay Frosty 2

S.BAZ

Upped my score, but could not quite finish it out :( Score: 315,914.

Another interesting aspect of this game is how the level progression changes the game. A couple of levels change from "doable with patience" to "relentlessly challenging." It's like the hardest level changes throughout the game. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but it certainly keeps the entertainment level high.

post-21365-0-47876100-1437053450_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Nicely done! My problem is I get too impatient on some of the levels and end up falling to my death. What I've been doing to get past them is to pause the game (toggle TV Type or hit PAUSE if playing on a 7800) for a little bit at the start of those levels in order to calm down.

Another interesting aspect of this game is how the level progression changes the game. A couple of levels change from "doable with patience" to "relentlessly challenging." It's like the hardest level changes throughout the game. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but it certainly keeps the entertainment level high.

One of the issues with the original Stay Frosty was insufficient time for play testing, so the level progression wasn't very good. We spent a lot of time on that for SF2.

• Like 1

You got 351K not 315K... Nice score!

• Like 1

Frosty's slippery physics are usually the cause of my deaths in higher levels, particularly in level 10 at the lower level when the screen scrolls. I tend to slide right off the ledge. But it makes perfect sense as he is a melting snowman.

Tip #3 for Level 9 is the best one of the 3. Thanks!

too many snowmen have I lost trying to get this snowflake:

My tip in reply #3 about the broom/double-jump needs to be revised a bit - instead of tap then hold, use press then hold where press is holding the button down longer than you do for just a tap.

Basically press the button until the snowman gets past the upper platform, else he'll bounce off it, then release and hold the button a second time until he lands:

post-3056-0-24440300-1437143737_thumb.png

Use the same press then hold when collecting the present on the second half of that level.

Use the level selector to practice level 15.

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 1

There's a way to start on a specific level so you can practice it without going through all the prior levels:

Level Selector Easter Egg - hold the left joystick in any direction when turning on the Atari.

To trigger it in Stella, right-click on the SF2 ROM and select POWER-ON OPTIONS:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-07-15 at 9.07.44 AM.png

Check any direction for the LEFT JOYSTICK then click LOAD ROM

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-07-15 at 9.07.50 AM.png

Level Selector:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-07-15 at 9.08.12 AM.png

To use the Level Selector:

• Move joystick up/down to select the LEVEL option
  • Move joystick Left/Right to change level by 1
  • hold FIRE + move joystick Left/Right to change by 10
  • Move joystick up/down to select START
  • Click FIRE to start game on selected level

on Stella 4.0, I've been able to click the ROM and hold down the "down arrow" when it starts up to get the Level Selector menu (without having to go into the options).

• Like 1