IGNORED

HSC12 Round 11: Pole Position "X+"

Still struggling with Race D... I'll get it...

at least now you don't have to complete the race to get first place on the NTSC table!

If you or any of the NTSC players complete any of the races with pole position and no crashes please let me know so I can work out some sort of scoring adjustment factor :)

at least now you don't have to complete the race to get first place on the NTSC table!

I may still have a run at D on my PAL box... just gotta remember to crash once in a while to keep the timer bug at bay. :P

If you or any of the NTSC players complete any of the races with pole position and no crashes please let me know so I can work out some sort of scoring adjustment factor :)

My times/scores for A and B were on the pole, no crashes. I think C was too, but I'm going to have another go at it to be sure.

A good NTSC time (for any track, it seems) is less than a minute a lap. It's impossible to do this with a crash. But braking a lot will push one's time over 60 seconds too. My times in post #26 for B were something like 57,56,56 and 61 seconds.

I think 58 seconds is the cutoff for qualifying on the pole.

Edited by adam242
  • Like 1

I think 58 seconds is the cutoff for qualifying on the pole.

I typed this in directly from the "Pole Position" manual:

The chart below lists the qualifying lap times for the eight starting positions in the race, and the number of bonus points awarded for each qualifying time.

Starting

Position Lap Time Bonus

1 58"50 4,000 (pole position)

2 60"00 2,000

3 63"00 1,400

4 64"00 1,000

5 66"00 800

6 68"00 600

7 70"00 400

8 73"00 200

I tried to use the BBcode editor to make this into a table, but tables are not supported anymore in these forums.

• Like 2

I'm still working on my scores. It doesn't seem like I'll ever finish Race C (I've seen the finish line on the last lap a few times now, but I can't seem to get over the line... yet). Here are the finished races:

"Pole 0" - 5,000 - NTSC:

post-4925-0-38389900-1437239815_thumb.gif

"Pole Position X+" - Race A - Malibu Grand Prix - 2 Laps - 36,050 - NTSC:

post-4925-0-37623200-1437239846_thumb.gif

"Pole Position X+" - Race B - Namco Speedway - 4 Laps - 57,500 - NTSC:

post-4925-0-50223900-1437239894_thumb.gif

If I can't finish Races C and D, then I'll eventurally just post my high scores for unfinished races, or maybe I'll post PAL scores for those races (since I'd like to complete each race).

• Like 1

I'm still working on my scores. It doesn't seem like I'll ever finish Race C (I've seen the finish line on the last lap a few times now, but I can't seem to get over the line... yet). Here are the finished races:

If I can't finish Races C and D, then I'll eventurally just post my high scores for unfinished races, or maybe I'll post PAL scores for those races (since I'd like to complete each race).

Much harder on NTSC but the tables are split for race D, plus adam242 has managed to complete C so we know it's possible! When we played PP before I think orpheus managed to do the 8 laps on NTSC but I think I could only usually get to 5 on the emulator :-o

Do we think Poll 0 is sound score wise? hope so, as I've now included it in the main table! So, we have 1pt per race/game per player plus bonuses for fastest NTSC and PAL race times.

Tables Updated now with NTSC scoring factor - oooooh ;)

Race D hit the damned PAL timer bug again - 35 seconds left at the end of lap 5 and it went to 0 !!

26 seconds left gets you about 91, so somewhere in between for the max score...

played again 109,250 475"33

Track 3 is pretty good - what do you guys think? Has anyone played the other tracks to check them out?

• Like 1

Race D hit the damned PAL timer bug again - 35 seconds left at the end of lap 5 and it went to 0 !!

26 seconds left gets you about 91, so somewhere in between for the max score...

This round is seriously flawed. NTSC players have no hope of achieving the artificially high scores (or artificially low lap times) of PAL users. PAL times are especially meaningless for any race of more than three laps - you have to crash or otherwise sandbag to avoid the timer "bug", which isn't even a bug. Triple-digit time reserves are impossible when the race clock runs at the real-world rate, on NTSC machines as intended.

The current NTSC adjustments do not adequately account for this. With this being a true NTSC game, perhaps a 'PAL handicap' would be more appropriate...

For comparison, I had a go at Race A on PAL:

post-19239-0-50281600-1437417093_thumb.jpg

Race A - 43250 - 91"80 - PAL

Anyone else with access to both machines (trbb??) care to have a go on both for an honest side-by-side with all else kept equal?

I'm sticking with NTSC (for now!) to keep myself honest... and I know I can do better on Races C and D. Might have a go at 'D' on PAL though, just to see if I can finish it.

Edited by adam242

This round is seriously flawed...

Anyone else with access to both machines (trbb??) care to have a go on both for an honest side-by-side with all else kept equal?

Looks like I might have to fire up the NTSC machine! There are only a few of us so either way we have some sort of contest witihin the PAL and NTSC groups of players. Your PAL score is very good ... my 41,000 was with no crashes but I've not had too many goes (will play more this week)... standing by to dig out the "Fair Score Club" discussion :-D Top scores for both systems for each Race will go into the records. Bonus points for best race times are for both systems too. Despite the issues it's fun to play for a change. This round and bally's disk editing discussion on the main forum have inspired me to start on a secret PP project - I needed something Atari to do now that I'm not programming anything, for the first time in 3 years :)

p.s. Just seen McKong's post - I was thinking adam's times were too fast too - what PAL setup was this? Sometimes you can get the speed up to the 211mph - seems to be after going through the close pack of cars - can't remember if we ever figured this out. Either a bug or some sort of slip stream effect - might be coded as you do get a slow down from turbulence some times when passing

Other fun things to do take out 2 cars with a crash (check!), think 2 and a sign is possible perhaps even 4 cards. Overtake on the grass inside is neat on the sharp turns. Stay alongside a computer car for as long as possible - keep the noise going.

Tables UPDATED

Have fun everyone - the scoring will probably be tweaked by the end of the round so just max out what you can "Get on your bikes cars and ride" Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls now playing in HSC HQ :music:

Edited by therealbountybob

Not sure what's going on with your pal lap time. It does look artificially low. I don't think it's representative of all pal machines though.

I went round race A and hardly slowed down and was 10 seconds slower than your time

On Race A, my NTSC time was 110"80 seconds. Adjust that for the 6/5ths "second" of a PAL clock, and the slight "easierness" of PAL due to the slower video refresh, and 91"80 for two laps on the easiest setting is entirely plausible. I had a good run.

Your 102"80 converts to 123"36.

McKong, you're one of the best players here... since you're using emulation, I'd be very curious to see what you can do with it set to NTSC... I think that would be helpful in handicapping one system versus the other.

Edited by adam242

p.s. Just seen McKong's post - I was thinking adam's times were too fast too - what PAL setup was this? Sometimes you can get the speed up to the 211mph - seems to be after going through the close pack of cars - can't remember if we ever figured this out. Either a bug or some sort of slip stream effect - might be coded as you do get a slow down from turbulence some times when passing

This was on my 800 with the ANTIC swap. Video refresh and system clocks run at 50hz, just like a "real" PAL box.

I apologise if my tone was a bit off in that post... I was in an unrelated bad mood involving cat piss and a favorite chair when I posted that.

Anyways... back to the track!

I'm not sure where my most recent post is that I made about an hour ago. I was just going to edit it, but since I don't see it, I'll make this other posting. After playing the NTSC version for 1 1/2 hours, here is my top score for the Race C for NTSC:

Pole Position X+ - Race C - 44,550 - Atari GP - 4 Laps (NTSC)

post-4925-0-70543700-1437449277_thumb.jpg

I said I was going to play the PAL version for a bit and see if I could do better. On only my third try I finished the race, even lthough I crashed at least twice-- that never would have happened under NTSC.

Pole Position X+ - Race C - 58,950 - Atari GP - 4 Laps (PAL)

post-4925-0-91893900-1437449437_thumb.gif

The PAL game is much easier and far more forgiving. I did notice another differnce between the NTSC and PAL version that no one mentioned. In the NTSC version, qualifying with 30 seconds or better gets you pole postion. In the PAL version I completed the qualifying race with 35 seconds on my first try (and shocked myself). With 35 seconds left, I fully expected the pole postion, and the bonus 4,000 points for achieving it. Yet I got second place.